Tour of Britain 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Don't have a massive interest in cycle racing so only just realised that a stage starts in Clitheroe and then passes through the place again later in the day. May pop over. Wonderful bit of the world for cycling and some great places to watch it from. With a bit of careful planning it may be possible to see them pass at least three times which will be a nice change from the usual cycle racing thing of sitting for hours for it all to pass by in seconds.
Finishes in Colne I see - I hope all stay well as they sait - it has one of the cheapest pubs I have ever had the pleasure to find - the local Spoons named after Wallace Hartley who is buried (with a wonderful view) in the town cemetary.
Again showing my ignorance of cycle racing -- just popped over to the official web site end of May and no info at all on the teams who will be in it. Is this normal?

the_craig

Über Member
MOD NOTE:
This post has been Copied to a new ToB thread in Road Racing (Pro Cycling).

Use that one for the Racing aspects and continue using this one for route/ viewing etc discussions. :okay:

Bump!

The teams taking part in this year's ToB have been announced.

UCI WorldTeams
• BMC Racing (USA)
• Etixx Quick-Step (Belgium)
• IAM Cycling (Switzerland)
• Lotto Soudal (Belgium)
• Movistar Team (Spain)
• Team Cannondale - Garmin (USA)
• Team Lotto NL Jumbo (Netherlands)
• Team Sky (Great Britain)
• Tinkoff - Saxo (Russia)

UCI Pro Continental teams
• Cult Energy Pro Cycling (Denmark)
• MTN Qhubeka (South Africa)
• Team Novo Nordisk (USA)

UCI Continental teams
• An Post Chain Reaction (Ireland)
• JLT Condor presented by Mavic (Great Britain)
• Madison Genesis (Great Britain)
• NFTO (Great Britain)
• ONE Pro Cycling (Great Britain)
• Team Raleigh GAC (Great Britain)
• Team WIGGINS (Great Britain)

National Teams
• Great Britain Cycling Team

Last edited by a moderator:

F70100

Who, me ?
Watching road racing from the roadside has to be one of the least entertaining things I could think of to do. Must be all over in, what, 5 minutes.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the TV visual coverage (not so much the commentary) of the TdF.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Watching road racing from the roadside has to be one of the least entertaining things I could think of to do. Must be all over in, what, 5 minutes.

Having said that, I really enjoyed the TV visual coverage (not so much the commentary) of the TdF.

Maybe give it a try before deciding?

It's all about picking a good spot. A decent uphill with a view down the hill. These spots are usually really popular so a good atmosphere of anticipation starts to build from about half an hour before. Then (if it's a big race) you hear the helicopter getting closer and closer. Then you get the cavalcade of police, sponsors etc. Then you get the breakwaway group.....loads of shouting encouragement, helicopter overhead. Then the group comes through, loads more shouting, crowds craning their necks and squeezing the space to get a better view.

It's great fun

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Maybe give it a try before deciding?

It's all about picking a good spot. A decent uphill with a view down the hill. These spots are usually really popular so a good atmosphere of anticipation starts to build from about half an hour before. Then (if it's a big race) you hear the helicopter getting closer and closer. Then you get the cavalcade of police, sponsors etc. Then you get the breakwaway group.....loads of shouting encouragement, helicopter overhead. Then the group comes through, loads more shouting, crowds craning their necks and squeezing the space to get a better view.

It's great fun
Je suis d'accord, having seen the TdF go through the countryside near Hebden Bridge last year, and having caught a Vuelta stage also in Spain once upon a time.

400bhp

Guru

Cool story bro.

D

Deleted member 23692

All the advanced warning signs have gone up along the routes in Cumbria, and Silloth has the bunting up in readiness.

OP
OP
H

Hyslop

Veteran
All the advanced warning signs have gone up along the routes in Cumbria, and Silloth has the bunting up in readiness.
Well done Silloth then!I jumped on a bus today and listened to the miseries having a moan as we passed the signs on Wigton Rd."Wat a carry on eh"-"Hoo langs it gaan on?"One muppet claimed 4 hours!Interestingly though,as we rolled to a stately halt at Carrs,the subject was taken up and the general consensus was positive!!:okay:"Mair sense than watching Carlisle"-"Free an aw"(possibly a Yorkshire type person).Generally,Ive been quietly pleased at the general reaction,at least people seem aware of the event.

Top Bottom