Tour of California *SPOILERS*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slaav

Veteran
Has anyone else noticed Wiggo's TT bike? Finished with gold :smile:

Or does he always ride that one since the Olympics?

400bhp

Guru
Wiggo was on fire.

Just a thought-is he relatively stronger over shorter courses? He mullered this and the ToB last year.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
Wiggo was on fire.

Just a thought-is he relatively stronger over shorter courses? He mullered this and the ToB last year.
I think he's just good at getting the power out on a straight forward course. If it's technical I'm not sure he suits, long straight consistent roads seem to be his forte.

The Couch

Über Member
He's looking in great shape, possibly his last year riding on the road with 2016 in mind. He might just fancy his chances of yellow again.
Yeah... if only he wouldn't get tons of minutes put into him (in the TdF) once they'll hit the high and steep mountains

EDIT: I mean, this ain't the Wiggo of 2012 anylonger and the competition is perhaps better as well

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The UCI have allowed shimano to attach a few of their new action cameras onto the bikes of some of the riders. This shows some great footage from stage one with on board cameras on the lead out train and on the sprinter Job Degenkolb.

These cameras only record around an hour of footage and they are trying to prove it as a proof of concept, with it eventually being on many of the bikes, longer life and with a radio transmitted signal. At present Shimano edits all of the footage in under an hour after the race in order to get it out to the tv stations.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aH1bn6yUI

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
That's great - especially being able to see the way the train works and see the massive effort each rider is putting in. On the TV it often looks effortless and here you can really feel how much power these guys are laying down.

The Couch

Über Member
The UCI have allowed shimano to attach a few of their new action cameras onto the bikes of some of the riders. This shows some great footage from stage one with on board cameras on the lead out train and on the sprinter Job Degenkolb.

These cameras only record around an hour of footage and they are trying to prove it as a proof of concept, with it eventually being on many of the bikes, longer life and with a radio transmitted signal. At present Shimano edits all of the footage in under an hour after the race in order to get it out to the tv stations.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aH1bn6yUI

Tom Boonen saw the camera and jumped in for a quick cameo :biggrin:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I think I'd get sea-sick watching too much of that! A bit of image stabilisation would be nice for some of the footage (sure they could do something post race?). But some of the wobbliness does give a sense of the power and effort.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
That's great - especially being able to see the way the train works and see the massive effort each rider is putting in. On the TV it often looks effortless and here you can really feel how much power these guys are laying down.
It certainly makes riveting viewing.

I've always been surprised they haven't done it before, ultra lightweight cameras have been round for a good few years now and F1 cars are festooned with the things with images from all angles.

Top Bottom