Tour of California *SPOILERS*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
pfwoar!

Wiggins looks like he could be a one man mountain lead out train

20 seconds in less than 500m, oof! Rohan Dennis looks dangerous. Don't know what the profile is on stage 6 but if it finishes like that it'll be close. Yates wasn't too far away either and is now in fifth.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
image.jpg

Slaav

Veteran
I have no issue with Wiggo's time loss on that last 500m if I understand the post above correctly. If I were to genuinely burn myself out until the last 500m of a long climb (I have no idea what that may feel like :smile:) then I know I will be stronger next time.

I would be stronger than the chap that beats me in the sprint. Next time, let the bu66er try and stay with me .....

I think he wants to win and still shows an element of naivety at times but in a perverse way, I'm sort of glad he didn't simply blow everyone away.....

I think more is to be learned by that loss!

Slaav

Veteran
That wasn't about winning, that was about making a statement. Very impressive

I have watched the highlights including the climb in full this morning. It will all depend what Brad was actually trying to do/show.

Can you imagine having Brad, Porte and a couple of the younger chaps hammering up climbs protecting Froome? Let someone then try and attack Froome over the top without Froome blasting them into oblivion :smile:

Bradley certainly made a statement! That is for sure...

:smile:

Slaav

Veteran
Thinking about it, staying out front was the only thing he could do.. If he had slowed down there would have been endless leaps off the front, which he wouldnt have been able to counter....

Damned if he did and damned if he didn't.

Agreed but it does show that sky's usual tempo ride hammering up climbs needs more than just Brad... Although if he could be 'last man standing' with less than 1km when Froome is released, it will be some spectacle and I wonder if Bertie will have enough left in the tank to seriously challenge Froome?

Personally I really can't wait!!!

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Thinking about it, staying out front was the only thing he could do.. If he had slowed down there would have been endless leaps off the front, which he wouldnt have been able to counter....

Damned if he did and damned if he didn't.
I agree, he doesnt have the explosive climbing ability of others, so his best option to limit losses was to keep the temp as high as possible for as long as possible. He knew he was going to drag others up with him, but if he hadnt they would have blown him away far earlier in the climb with relentless attacks.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Wiggo was on fire.

Just a thought-is he relatively stronger over shorter courses? He mullered this and the ToB last year.

The TT was basically a British style TT somewhere sunny. Also, it would come as no surprise if he were better over shorter courses as he is/has been a pursuit rider and previous 10 mile TT competition record holder (17:58 on Levens).

beastie

Guru
Wiggins needed another 2 kms worth of a domestique and it would have been a bloodbath behind him. Either way you would think that he is a dead cert for the tour now. However he could take time out of the GC guys on stage 5 and get a little ambitious, and there is no way Froomedog wants that.

Top Bottom