Tour of California *SPOILERS*

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Contador has put the frighteners on Sky, which is one of the reasons Porte has skipped the Giro. With Wiggins going so well and Froome isolated last year on a few stages, I can't see how they can leave him out. Anyway let's see what happens over the next few weeks.

400bhp

Guru
Wiggins needed another 2 kms worth of a domestique and it would have been a bloodbath behind him. Either way you would think that he is a dead cert for the tour now. However he could take time out of the GC guys on stage 5 and get a little ambitious, and there is no way Froomedog wants that.

I don't know. It was difficult to tell how many were really struggling and how much of it [sitting behind him] was due to the respect given to Wiggins.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Well, you don't see that too often these days. The peloton either completely miscalculated or no-one wanted to help Cav and co. reel in the break...

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Miscalculation I think; OPQS, Cannondale and Giant put riders on the front (albeit OPQS seemed to be the most committed) while Garmin didn't really get involved.
It was tricky to follow since the time gap info seemed was a bit erratic but I thought the breakaway was done for when they started to attack each other.
An exciting stage IMO and good for Wiggins.
I'm surprised that Sky didn't hand responsibility for the chase over to the sprinter's teams a little earlier although I can't imagine that today took too much out of them (Sky).

Reading the interviews after the Diablo stage and it strikes me that there was a little bit of arrogance in Sky's planning for the stage, or at the least a grave miscalculation. Wiggins sprinting for yesterdays finish and an extra 4 seconds on Dennis was either a clever move or a sign they fear the last 2k of Friday's stage.

The Couch

Über Member
Haven't seen the stage, but it's nice to see one of the Novo riders getting a podium (although a win would have been even better)

I can't express enough how much respect I have for these guys... doing those long cycling efforts (at pro level) when having diabetes :eek:

Hont

Guru
The peloton either completely miscalculated or no-one wanted to help Cav and co. reel in the break.
The tailwind at the finish apparently put a spanner in the works, but you'd think these days that information would get fed back, so it has to be chalked up as a miscalculation.

thom

____
The tailwind at the finish apparently put a spanner in the works, but you'd think these days that information would get fed back, so it has to be chalked up as a miscalculation.
Something of a miscalculation, something of skill - Tom Boonen has a comment : http://bcove.me/l1hanwnq
Sounds like you have to credit the 6 breakaway for canniness and experience - they were all seasoned performers who knew the peloton would keep the gap at a couple of mins even if they went slow for a good amount, so they did to conserve their efforts, then managed to ramp it up and take advantage of the tail wind.

It's nice to see the big peloton riders outwitted once in a while - it would be a shame if it never ever happened.

Nice weather, and nice to see the break survive for a change, but dear me what a dull dull stage.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
getting nearly to that point, can wiggles match dennis up the climb? gonna be exciting

Top Bottom