Tour of Cambridge Gran Fondo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Just done my final ride before Sunday as well. The only problem is that it seems I've just started with a sore throat, which means I will probably have a full blown cold come the day of the ride. So that's something to look forward to!

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
That's not good then @steverob ! At least the weathers looking fine a relief after the last few days well here in the South East anyway .

Think I'll nick one more last ride early tomorrow morning & then give the bike a wash & brush up oil the chain & get ready for an early start Sunday morning

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Awesome event very well organised if lacking a few toilets !

Was a lot harder than what I was expecting & the fenn roads are soul destroying to say the least but I done it so well happy , got home to a e mail saying that I'd qualified for the worlds as I was in the top 25% of my age category so maybe a holiday to Perth Australia for the next round lol !

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Was a lot harder than what I was expecting & the fenn roads are soul destroying to say the least but
The fens are beautiful and life- affirming, especially on sunny days like yesterday, but it's not as easy a cycling terrain as most people assume, especially if you're trying to go fast.

steverob

Guru
A combination of the residual effects of my cold and the aforementioned wind put paid to my original aim of a sub 5 hour time, but I'm still happy with 5:35, especially as that included two unscheduled breaks as well as two at the official food stops (moving time was 5:14 according to my Garmin).

But yes, that wind was brutal because there was no hiding place. On that long straight road to Pondersbridge I was just watching my average speed (which until then had been really good) just drop like a stone. Trouble was I was cycling on my own for most of the ride and so had the full effects of the wind - when a group did go past me, it was too small and going too fast for me to latch on to the back of. Finally got in a group of 30-odd around the 65 mile mark and that helped considerably until that started to splinter around 5 miles later - tried to chase the leading few down but just ended up halfway between everyone soloing again!

One good thing - the final food stop was well supplied with cookies, sausage rolls and bananas (don't do gels - horrible things) which was nice to see. Too many events I've done only seem to have enough food for the fast riders and by the time the slower ones like me turn up, they're all out of everything. Can't speak for the other stops as I only took water at the first and skipped the second (which was a mistake in hindsight) but hopefully it was similar.

One bad thing - whoever was in charge of measuring the course was shockingly inept. They said on their website it was 78 miles even though on Strava it was about 83/84 (depending on how you routed the airfield bit) and because of this, their "miles to go" signs out on course were all wrong, e.g. got a 10 to go sign when it was still at least 16!

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Yes was a painful event for sure , the airfield I had 4/5 guys drafting me through there I was glad to get off out of there I know that & without a puncture as well the road surface was shocking .

The long straight road I was well hidden In a big group so that helped though the pace did keep speeding up & slowing but I had the route on my garmin so just sat it out for the 1.5+ miles or whatever it was .

For some reason I had an 80 mile event in my head but the finish just never seem to get any nearer & was over 83 miles come the end !

I'd had a rough idea of 4 hours in my head if I could maintain the 20mph average . As it was it was longer than that & I was quicker , official Toc time was 3hr 59.15 seconds well pleased considering I've only been riding a road bike for 9 weeks

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The long straight road … for the 1.5+ miles or whatever it was .
1.5 miles isn't long for the fens! There are cycle track straights that long, 2 ir 3 miles is straight, while a few drain bank roads are 7 miles without a corner worth the name: when it's windy, one detours rather than suffer that!

Anyway, hope it's earned some respect for those who ride it every day (I don't! I can head for the hills the other away!) and deters you from the flat jibes.

freewheelwilly

Yet again a well organised Gran Fondo now in its second year. Same lovely sunny weather although it certainly didn't feel like it was going to be when I first arrived at the crack of dawn. Just a bunch of shivering cyclists wiping sleep out of their eyes moaning about not bring their arm warmers. Fortunately the sun shone down. Unfortunately the wind whipped up although a local rider did comment that this was a light breeze in comparison to what they normally have to contend with. The thing is a relentless light breeze takes its toll on the flatland of Cambridgeshire where the lack of forests and hedgerows can give some respite. It certainly took its toll on me despite me getting a sub 4 hr time I had to work hard for that including taking point on a bunch of riders up to Pondersbridge who declared to be too knackered to take their share until lo and behold we got a tail wind at the next turn...

A special recognition should go out to all the locals who had to endure closed roads for the best part of the day. Their support was superb and it was nice to see them enjoying the event with a beer and a bbq. Almost tempted to ditch qualifying for the UCI amateur world finals and grab a burger and a cold one....

I suffered in that wind too my 23.1mph quickly fell when I got out to the flat area and I couldn't find a good wheel (although plenty of folk thought mine was good :ohmy:) by the time I'd got round in 3:57:31 the average had fallen to 21.2mph. Did my usual though, finished to fresh. It was good enough to qualify but Im quite a bit skeptical when a badly paced ride can qualify :rolleyes:

freewheelwilly

1.5 miles isn't long for the fens! There are cycle track straights that long, 2 ir 3 miles is straight, while a few drain bank roads are 7 miles without a corner worth the name: when it's windy, one detours rather than suffer that!

Anyway, hope it's earned some respect for those who ride it every day (I don't! I can head for the hills the other away!) and deters you from the flat jibes.
It's certainly character building i'll give you that.

Really enjoyed that,as mjray mentions the fens can be hard work;actually didn't think it was that bad,certainly suffered worse especially last Christmas when it was really brutal.
Had a few people towing behind but that's how it goes.
Finished with a 4:12:23 so qualified for my age group (55-59)which I'm well chuffed with:smile:;had to make a couple of un-sheduled stops as well and a nearly choked myself with a gulp of un-mixed drinks so probably would have beena few minutes quicker,all ifs and buts though.

Reactions: mjr

steverob

Guru
The long straight road I was well hidden In a big group so that helped though the pace did keep speeding up & slowing but I had the route on my garmin so just sat it out for the 1.5+ miles or whatever it was .

If it's the road I'm thinking of (Ramsey to Pondersbridge), then it certainly wasn't 1.5 miles, but rather 4.3! When you're cycling virtually solo into a wind like that you end up staring at the Garmin intently waiting for it to tick over each digit and the numbers tend to stick in your mind, whereas it flies by when you're in a well paced group!

The airfield I had 4/5 guys drafting me through there I was glad to get off out of there I know that & without a puncture as well the road surface was shocking.

I did end up with a slow puncture - only found out the next morning when I went to load my bike into the car at the hotel and the front was completely flat. However it is just as likely that I got it wheeling my bike through the arena grounds at the end of the ride than out on the course - it certainly looked reasonably well inflated at the finish line, though I'll admit I didn't check all that closely.

Is there only 4 of us on here who use Strava?

My ride is at https://www.strava.com/activities/599608793/overview if you want to see what a slow-poke's version of the event looks like!

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom