Tour of Cambridge Gran Fondo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stockie

Ticking the boxes
Hi guys. I have signed up for this with my mate in June. Anyone do it last year if so any advice or views about it.

Cheers guys

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Tour of CambridgeSHIRE. The start/finish is in Peterborough but I expect you know that. I've not done it (I'm excluded by the rules) but I've heard it's well organised and not overcrowded like a certain other closed roads sportive.

steverob

Guru
The two people I know who were in it last year both said it was a really good event and the virtually flat terrain with lots of very long straight roads made it possible to get some great speeds up, especially if you got on the back of a group of fast riders. However, the fantastic conditions on the day helped a lot with this - if it had been rainy or there was any wind to speak of at all, they said it would have been a far tougher ride. I'm doing it this year, so have got my fingers crossed it's like last year!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Was a great event last year, I suspect this year could be a bit different, There will be a lot more riders and that means more numties, I am doing it again this year but i will be giving people a wide birth when overtaking. Last year i had a guy nearly take me out, He just pulled out without looking behind, So it could end up like a lot of other big events. Good luck and enjoy.:okay:

Was a great event last year, I suspect this year could be a bit different, There will be a lot more riders and that means more numpties, I am doing it again this year but i will be giving people a wide birth when overtaking. Last year i had a guy nearly take me out, He just pulled out without looking behind, So it could end up like a lot of other big events. Good luck and enjoy.:okay:
So true!
I was at the front of a pack with only me and two others chain ganging and a dozen passengers. After several rotations somebody else joined in but instead of going to the front, when he followed the lead rider through (who slotted in front of me), he cut in too forgetting completely I was there. He was at least apologetic not like the numpties on Ride London.

LewisLondon

Is anybody else confused by the different categories for this? Probably is just me! Looking at the longer ride but can't work out the difference between sport and challenge!

steverob

Guru
Is anybody else confused by the different categories for this? Probably is just me! Looking at the longer ride but can't work out the difference between sport and challenge!

The only real difference is that it means whether you're in the second pen (Sport) or third pen (Challenge) of riders to be released at the start. The first pen is Race (need a license) and the fourth pen is Leisure (short course only). It really just depends on how keen you are to get on the road and how fast you are happy going at the start of the ride - with the faster club riders, or with the plodders like me!

Reactions: mjr

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Just signed up for this today , long course sport category , completed a 65 mile sportive Sunday so hopefully be ok for the 80 !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've just upset a load of the 'riders' on the UK Zwift facebook page. One was calling it a race, blah blah, and just because it's got a UCI rating they reccon it is a race.

When you describe long roads with big groups, I can now realise why folk want 22-23mph average over 80 miles.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I've just upset a load of the 'riders' on the UK Zwift facebook page. One was calling it a race, blah blah, and just because it's got a UCI rating they reccon it is a race.

When you describe long roads with big groups, I can now realise why folk want 22-23mph average over 80 miles.
It's a race if you want it to be, if you want to treat it like a sportive it's your choice.:okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Last time I looked, it was a qualifying event for some world championship (what used to be the UCI Masters?) so I'd say it's more deserving of the race label than most sportives. I wouldn't mind, as long as the serious racers go off first, like at the London Marathon, and don't get mixed up with the fun riders... but if you're not in the racing pens, it's not a race.

It is a race and is a qualification for UCI amateur world championship for the fondo and time trial;race group will be off first.

From the website;

Race:Those riders holding a current full racing license and intending to race to win their Masters Age / Gender Classification and / or to qualify for the 2016 UCI Gran Fondo World Championships (see Race Book for details).

outlash

also available in orange
Last time I looked, it was a qualifying event for some world championship (what used to be the UCI Masters?) so I'd say it's more deserving of the race label than most sportives. I wouldn't mind, as long as the serious racers go off first, like at the London Marathon, and don't get mixed up with the fun riders... but if you're not in the racing pens, it's not a race.

This. I know a few people who qualified for both the race and TT in Denmark last year and said it was quite an experience. Here's our (then) club chairman's report: https://velorichard.wordpress.com/2015/09/09/the-uwct-championships-road-race/ . Personally, I don't bother with it I know a fair bit of the course and a large amount of it is pretty uninspiring. They could have made more use of what little hills we have round here.

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom