Tour of Scotland (North West bit), wisdom from anyone that has done it??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blutintin

hello all, just hoping for a bit of advice from anyone that has done a tour of scotland. I picked up a dawes galaxy today, so far am really enjoying it. Anyhoo am was thinking of getting the train into Inverness, riding down to isle of skye, ferry to Tarbert, ride to Stornaway and over to ullapool and make my way up to john o groats in Wick.

Most of the ride appears to be on B roads but it looks like the bit leading into Isle of Skye will be on the A87, just wondering if anyone knows how busy this is?

Any descriptions of the route from those that have cycled it it before would be hugely appreciated. Am looking at doing it end of sept.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...57.317624,-5.910645&spn=0.655537,1.755066&z=9

thx
blu

TwoTired

After the hilly section between Strathcarron and Strome Ferry take minor roads near Plockton to Kyle (unless Eilean Donan is a must see).

By the end of September traffic should be a lot lighter as that part of Scotland will be closing down for winter (finding accommodation could be tricky unless you're camping). A87 is a fast road but reasonably wide. Take the Moll Road (between Luib and Sconser) and the far more attractive east coast route out of Portree to reduce your mileage on the A87. You can cut across from Staffin (hilly) or go round the top end - both have their merits

samid

Guru
I rode the Outer Hebrides this summer and as such did your "C to D" (Tarbert to Stornoway) piece. IIRC roughly the first half of it is hilly but very nice, good views, and the riding gets easier as you approach Stornoway. Also more traffic near Stornoway but not too bad.

snorri

Legendary Member
Your route between Inverness and Kyle runs parallel to the railway for most of the way so you have an alternative if running short of time.
As Two Tired says, between Achmore and Kyle, I also would be inclined to take the coastal road via Plockton, Erbusaig and Badicaul. A narrower, twistier road, but more scenic I think.
The section Strathcarron-Achmore is known locally as the Strome Ferry Bypass and has some steep sections!
Make sure you carry a good stock of food, there are few shops or eateries away from the main centres along your route, particularly between Ullapool and Thurso.
I know that John O' Groats is for many a "must do", but it may possibly disappoint:sad:, do go the extra mile out to Duncansby Head, the cliff scenery there and the view over the Pentland Skerries can be quite spectacular when the weather is right.
Have Fun!:sad:

OP
OP
B

blutintin

thanks for tips!! Am now thinking from Ullapool I will head up the west coast rather than through the middle. John O'Groats is just a nice target not really a must do.

This is going to be a hilly ride :sad: but a good little mini adventure! Am going to try to use B&B's i think, i'm taking a mate of mine who hasn't any done any touring and the creature comforts will be a must for him. Of course I won't say no to a cooked breakfast before i get on the bike!

blu

snorri

Legendary Member
blutintin said:
Am now thinking from Ullapool I will head up the west coast rather than through the middle. Am going to try to use B&B's i think,
:sad: The coastal route would be my preference, I didn't mention that, thinking you may have had a reason for electing to go inland.
Regarding B&Bs, I would suggest you take advantage of the Book a Bed Ahead scheme operated from the Tourist Information Offices.This costs a pound or two but saves a lot of searching in the late afternoon!
Google for the office locations, I'm not up to date on these things.:rofl:

TwoTired

I agree with Snorri.

To visit the NW without riding the Ullapool-Inverkirkaig-Lochinver-Drumbeg-Kylesku road would be unforgiveable. But you'll walk at least one hill and maybe more.

From Durness I'd go no further east than Tongue and pick up the train at Lairg (or overnight at Carbisdale YH and train from Culrain). That's 70 miles with no more than 3 refreshment points (Portnancon if open, Tongue, Crask).

rualexander

Legendary Member
TwoTired said:
I agree with Snorri.

To visit the NW without riding the Ullapool-Inverkirkaig-Lochinver-Drumbeg-Kylesku road would be unforgiveable. But you'll walk at least one hill and maybe more.

Thats a fantastic road and a real roller-coaster but no reason to get off and walk, unless you haven't got the right gears on your bike.

On Skye, as well as the eastern route round the coast from Portree, its worth taking the short section of old road round the coast from Loch Ainort to Sconser.

the_c00ler_king

Having just done part of your trip last week here is my input:

The roads on Skye are of a decent quality finish and as such the ride is pretty smooth and fast. The only hill from Armadale to Portree is on the Broadford to Sconser road. It is worth cycling the long gentle climb from the head of Loch Ainort as you get an awesome descent into Sconser. From there its undulating until Portree.

As someone mentioned above the Tarbet to Stornoway route starts off hilly about 3 miles outside of Tarbet. This mountainous area is actually Harris. About 8 or so miles later on the same road you will pass a sign welcoming you into Lewis and the landscape almost immediatley changes into undulating moorland with small hillocks to either side of the road. Once again the surface here is pretty good so you will make decent timings.

Tarbet itself feels a bit dilapadated. We stayed in the youth hostel there with its cell like sleeping quarters (10 bunks squeezed together in a living room sized room) but had good food and a pint at the local pub just up the hill. Bear in mind that on a Sunday practically all of Harris, the Uists and Lewis closes down as they are mostly free kirkers up there. The only things that are open are sporadic hotels and the controversial ferry service to the mainland.

Additionally, last year two of my friends cycled NW on the mainland from Inverness to Orkney via Cape Wrath and the ferry at Scrabster. They had a brilliant time but were suffering from the long and numerous hills. It probably didnt help that they were ill prepared and using old mountain bikes.

Bill.

rualexander

Legendary Member
the_c00ler_king said:
Tarbet itself feels a bit dilapadated. We stayed in the youth hostel there with its cell like sleeping quarters (10 bunks squeezed together in a living room sized room) but had good food and a pint at the local pub just up the hill.

There isn't a 'youth hostel' as such in Tarbert, but there is an independent hostel, which I presume you are referring to.

shirokazan

Veteran
TwoTired said:

rualexander said:
Thats a fantastic road and a real roller-coaster but no reason to get off and walk, unless you haven't got the right gears on your bike.

Blimey. I had to get off at least twice. I was riding a touring bike with four panniers and a tent, but even without all that junk I wouldn't have been able to get up the 25% gradients. I take my hat off to you, rualexander.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I was thinking of doing a trip from Inverness to JOG via the west coast at some point - including going out to Cape Wrath. Has anyone cycled the road from the Durness ferry boat to CW? Just wondering if a normal touring bike would be OK for it, or if a hybrid would be better.

(Tho if it needs a hybrid, might just use my tourer for the trip and use the bus to see Cape Wrath!)

I highly recommend riding in the far NW and have done it twice. We have some photos of our last trip here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrmichaelwright/sets/72157616674880643/

Most of the west coast is pretty evil on the legs, but if you drop your gear low enough you can do it with luggage (I'm not embarrassed to admit I did it all on 22-28).

In addition to the other recommendations, I'd recommend the road from Riconich to Lairg which takes in Loch Broom - it's really beautiful. I' also recommend staying at Carbisdale Castle in Lairg (SYHA) - it's an experience!

You should look up the Tim Dearman bike bus which can get you back from Durness to Inverness/Ullapool should you need to.

My experience of riding on Skye isn't great, because the roads are very fast.

Tarbert on Harris bunkhouse is pretty crappy, but in September it is more empty than at other times of year, so the facilities are not too stretched. If you are going around the outer hebs then also look up the Gatliff Hostels (google it), for very rustic (you'll need your own sleeping bag), but beautifully located accommdation.

Top Bottom