Touring Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chappy

Guru
Hi everyone,

I dont normally look in on this forum but Mrs C has expressed an interest that she would like to go on a cycling holiday/tour. Of course I am very happy about this :biggrin:. The trouble is that I only commute at the mo and do not have the first clue about where to go or what to what type of packages there are out there. So if poss I would like some advice on following

1. Is there tailor made packages out there to try if so where.
2. If you plan your own tours is there a guide line you follow perhaps as to planning.

I no there is alot more to touring than this but any advice on these points would be a great help.

Many thanks

Chappy :smile:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Chappy said:
Hi everyone,

I dont normally look in on this forum but Mrs C has expressed an interest that she would like to go on a cycling holiday/tour. Of course I am very happy about this :biggrin:. The trouble is that I only commute at the mo and do not have the first clue about where to go or what to what type of packages there are out there. So if poss I would like some advice on following

1. Is there tailor made packages out there to try if so where.
2. If you plan your own tours is there a guide line you follow perhaps as to planning.

I no there is alot more to touring than this but any advice on these points would be a great help.

Many thanks

Chappy :smile:

There are some organised tours that are organised by the CTC - I'm not sure when they are advertised - pretty soon I think.

Have you thought about googling for UK cycling holidays?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=cycling+holidays&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

This might give you a better starting point for further enquiries.

You need to make your own mistakes and that is part of the fun.....

My suggestion would be to firstly make sure you are happy that your bikes and equipment are OK then plan a couple of loaded days out......then expand to a weekend.

It is easy and fun, just pace yourself, don't get too adventurous as overreaching yourself is something that can be offputting.

Finally - (love them or loathe them) Sustrans have some good pre-planned routes with accommodation guides that help withthe setting up and planning.

Lots of info on Cycle-n-Sleep

vernon

I have yet to pay someone else to organise a tour for me as I want to make my own mistakes :ohmy:

I started off with a Sustrans C2C ride - two nights out.

I did a few weekends in the Yorkshire Dales before plumping for a Land's End to John O'Groats ride.

Along the way I learnt that a standard 12 speed racer was not an ideal mount because of its gearing. A s/h Dawes Galaxy was a viable alternative. That it was better to have a two man tent than a one man tent for solo touring.

There's plenty of Sustrans routes to cut your teeth on.

Sea to Sea
Walney to Wear
Hadrian's Cycle Route

are all suitable for first outings with plenty of pubs and cafes along the routes.

I also discovred that it was wise to eat more than normal if one's energy was not to flag during the day.

OP
OP
Chappy

Chappy

Guru
Thanks for all the advice everyone I think I will try and sort a little tour of Hampshire myself somthing nice and gentle so not to put Mrs C off at all.

Just one last question has anyone stayed in youth hostels before if yes arew they any good?

:biggrin:

Bodhbh

Guru
Chappy said:
Just one last question has anyone stayed in youth hostels before if yes arew they any good?:biggrin:
Seem a mixed bag, but generally pretty good - some impressively clean modern ones, the odd grotty ones. Clienete okay too, tend to be younger in the cities, older in remote locations with alot of cyclists, ramblers, etc. 'Youth' hostel is a bit misleading. Can generally get double rooms, rooms for 4, etc., along with the dorm rooms.

I toured for a couple of days at the weekend and I'd like to report that I consumed three portions of dessert at various points, including:
apple and blackberry crumble and custard (sat, 11am)
apple pie and custard (sun, 11am)
raspberry pavlova (sun, 3pm)

mmmmmmmmm the best bit of touring is the food...next to the cycling.

Youth hostels are OK but it's better to get a private room if you can...personally I don't like sharing a room with strangers. I never sleep that well.

The most important thing about touring is to have a positive attitude at all times. If something goes wrong, then look for all the positives because if you don't it will all start to go pear shaped...

Bigtallfatbloke

I have stasyed in Hostels, but mostly I camp becaus eit is cheaper...just. Hostels are mostly clean and more importantly warm and dry. You meet mor epeople in hostels I feel.

I wouldn't bother with an organized tour...just organize your own, the more people on a tour the higher the chaos factor I reckon. Just do your own thing...go for it....'he who dares wins' in the imortal words of Delboy.

vernon

Kirstie said:
I toured for a couple of days at the weekend and I'd like to report that I consumed three portions of dessert at various points, including:
apple and blackberry crumble and custard (sat, 11am)
apple pie and custard (sun, 11am)
raspberry pavlova (sun, 3pm)

mmmmmmmmm the best bit of touring is the food...next to the cycling.

Kirstie, you've got it all wrong.

Three portions of desert are meant to be eaten in one sitting ;):biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom