Touring Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raybo

Guru
One thing that hasn't been addressed is carrying gear versus having a support vehicle do it.

If you are touring by yourselves, you will have to carry all your gear on your bikes. This will likely be dozens of extra pounds hanging on your bike. If you and/or your wife have never done this, it can take some of the romance out of the fantasy.

If you go on an organized tour, it is likely that they will transfer the gear from place to place for you and all you have to do is ride to the next place. They usually even have food stops arranged along the route.

The first tour I ever did was an organized ride that involved a fair amount of time in van every day going to or from our starting points. That said, it was a great way to ride an unloaded bike through some beautiful scenery.

Every tour since has been self-supported.

Ray

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
raybo said:
One thing that hasn't been addressed is carrying gear versus having a support vehicle do it.

If you are touring by yourselves, you will have to carry all your gear on your bikes. This will likely be dozens of extra pounds hanging on your bike. If you and/or your wife have never done this, it can take some of the romance out of the fantasy.

It will only take the edge off the experience if the ride is over ambitious in terms of pace and distance.

Tony

Cathryn said:
We do our own as well.

Pick a nice part of the world you want go to. Get a map and a guidebook and plot a route! It's so much fun.
Indeed! But have a weekend away close to home as a try-out.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Tony said:
Indeed! But have a weekend away close to home as a try-out.

Yes, better to learn on shorter trips, rather than jumping in with both cleats.

I rather enjoy lightly-loaded overnighters as, let's face it, organizing a big tour is a lot of work. Weekend getaways are a great way to put some variety in life. These can be great adventures.

sloe

Devon's plenty big for starters, and you've got Cornwall on the left and... er...England on the right. Give it a go. You'll find out so much even from a there and back again overnighter.

>1. Is there tailor made packages out there to try if so where.
2. If you plan your own tours is there a guide line you follow perhaps as to planning<

I'd take a look at the CTC tours list, there is an excellent choice which is just out now. They do tend to sell out fast. The CTC offer group tours but also self led tours, they give you the itinerary and you lead yourself.

I have helped lead CTC trips, and now run my own tours, latterly with the help of other friends on this list. Do take a look at the CTC.

Good luck with your trip

Top Bottom