Touring bike & clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
Im thinking of moving away from sports bikes over to touring bikes like the Kona Sutra as I enjoy doing miles and commute to work most days. I also like the idea of a more relaxed geometry. So I was thinking about my clothing which mainly consists of the usual lycra. What does one wear atop a touring machine. Not that im worried about fitting in but I understand the benefits of lycra and wondered if there is something that would benefit me on a touring bike ?

Thanks all

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wear what you like. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. After all it's your comfort that matters.

For what it's worth I wear the same lycra gear for normal riding as I do on a tour. No need extra expense of buying different gear.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Wear what you like. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. After all it's your comfort that matters.

For what it's worth I wear the same lycra gear for normal riding as I do on a tour. No need extra expense of buying different gear.

Must be boring just wearing blue all the time though.

snorri

Legendary Member
What does one wear atop a touring machine. Not that im worried about fitting in but I understand the benefits of lycra and wondered if there is something that would benefit me on a touring bike ?
Probably depends on what sort of touring you are planning to do.
Are you likely to want to cover big distances, possibly glancing at the scenery as you pass, or are you likely to spend a fair proportion of your day off the bike, in an attempt to soak up some local culture or investigate things which catch your eye along the way?

Coming from a similar position, I am also transitioning from 100% road racing style commute to more casual riding on a touring bike but I still wear lycra on my touring bike. Mainly because most of my trousers are usually too tight around the thighs and/or crotch to get a comfortable in the saddle, however my last two pairs of trousers purchased were extra stretchy to allow more casual riding to the pub/friends or other social stuff.

Generally still commuting in lycra though.

Depends where you like to tour. Lycra shorts are socially acceptable in many places but you should be aware of the places and times where it is not.
I like my touring gear to serve double of triple duty, on bike, off bike, sleeping, do I take one cycle jersey and one or two plain wicking T shirts.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Depends how far I'm going. A gentle 10 mile pootle and it's normal clothes...jeans, shorts and so on. Longer than that or crappy weather and the lycra is worn. Simply because I find it more comfortable long distance.
I wouldn't worry about image. It's a touring bike.

freiston

Veteran
I feel so 'psychologically' uncomfortable wearing skin-tight lycra shorts/longs that if I did wear any, I would only wear them as underwear - lycra below the waist just 'isn't me'. For short journeys/ the shops etc., I wear my regular trousers (which are usually Rohan or other walking trousers); for longer rides or when cycling just for riding, I wear something very similar to the York tights here. On occasion, I also wear a pair of Endura Firefly trousers - I do like these trousers but personally I think that the ankle straps don't really work and some of the pockets are not much use.

I have a 2008 Sutra and love it. the 2017 version is a few iterations down the line so I can not pass comment as to its virtues and vices, although proper mudguard fixing points and a bottom bracket which does not rely on a rubber band to function are no doubt good things. *

Every good tourist needs a pair or two of 3/4 lengths or breeches or plus whatevers you wish to call then. They keep your knees warm on cold days, stop the backs of your knees getting sunburnt on hot days and mean your phone and wallet are always close to hand. I have a pair of Oregon cyclewear 3/4, which are no longer made and a couple of pairs of R*ph* fixie shorts, again no longer made, I am beginning to think that there is a message in this.

For the top: merino so you can go into the pub and have a post ride drink and a bite to eat without stinking the place out.

* The best thing about the Sutra is of course jumping on it and saying "Tommorow we ride": however In the decade I've owned the thing I've not come across a Jean Bobet reading Serbian or Croatian speaker to share the joke with.

Top Bottom