touring books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skmc1955

I,ve been reading a few touring books (presently reading edward enfields Greece on my wheels) and I got to wondering what other peoples favourites were. I would say my own is Josie Dews, Long coast home. What,s yours?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Have you read his 'Downhill all the way'? It's lovely. I really liked Josie Dew's Wind in my Wheels and the two Alastair Humphreys books were pretty inspirational as well!!! Also, esp if you're a girl, try Pedals and Petticoats which is charming.

Cycling back to Happiness by Bernie Friend is a good read

It starts off a little dull but persevere it comes good quite quickly

The full English by Mike Carden is ok ... funny in parts but nothing special

Simon

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Alastair Humphreys a very good set of books
Why don you fly- a very good read IMO
Anne Mustoe a bike ride - shows us that you dont have to be super fit or young to cycle around the globe.

Sparkyman

Tony

Reading Mark Beaumont at the moment. Was interesting reading Friend's book and comparing his trip with mine (and seeing some of the same people!) but I found him a little irritating.
Mustoe's books are inspiring, for an old git like me, but I have loads of cycling books.I tend to prefer ones that cover places have been to, for that extra bit of interest, but I still have loads from the US and Africa, for example.
Middle Aged Moutaineer, by Jim Curran, IIRC, is a good one.

Randochap

Senior hunter
I'd recommend Travels With Rosinante, by Bernard Magnouloux, about his world tour. Should be able to pick up a copy on Amazon or something. I also have Stealing from a Deep Place, by Brian Hall, about his travels in Southeastern Europe. Also, if you can find a copy, I'd recommend Brady Fotheringham's On the Trail of Marco Polo. It chronicles his cycle trip from China, through Pakistan, Afghanistan and on to India.

asterix

Comrade Member
dragon72 said:
Tim Moore's "French Revolutions" is to blame for my current inability to travel in any other way

It's a rare book because I found it impossible not to laugh whilst reading it. A modern day 'Three Men in a Boat'.

just jim

How about "Three Men on a Bike" by Rory Spowers then - funny and enlightening account of a cycle trip the length of Africa on The Goodies Trandem. Recommend it.

Top Bottom