Touring Britain -Bike Transport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee-M

I'd like to tour more in Britain over the next couple of years , mainly in the North. I don't particularly look forward to 6 hour car journey's so was hoping to travel by train or bus. I used the train last weekend with a loaded bike and it wasn't much fun and I was refused entry to the first train as other bikes were using the bike housings. The next option is a coach and bike transport service similar to Bike Express but for this country however there appears to be no such company. There are plenty of options for posting the bike separately but that isn't ideal.

Does anybody have any info?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
How about 1 way van hire? Enterprise have some good deals. I know you don’t want to drive, but this can be cheaper and less hassle than using our hopeless public transport.

snorri

Legendary Member
I used the train last weekend with a loaded bike and it wasn't much fun and I was refused entry to the first train as other bikes were using the bike housings.
I think you have been a bit quick to dismiss the rail option. I know it would be wonderful if we could be assured of being able to take our bikes on to the first train we happen to choose, but that's not the way it works in the UK. We are asked to book in advance and this has always worked for me, although I have travelled unbooked on countless occasions without great difficulty.

OP
OP
Lee-M

Lee-M

I think you have been a bit quick to dismiss the rail option. I know it would be wonderful if we could be assured of being able to take our bikes on to the first train we happen to choose, but that's not the way it works in the UK. We are asked to book in advance and this has always worked for me, although I have travelled unbooked on countless occasions without great difficulty.

I get the above . The reason for the difficulty is that I had my daughters and their bikes as well . If I was on my own it would have been easier . Some of the touring will be with them so I'm not sure the hop on hop off aspect works quite so well especially from city stations.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Build as many rinko bikes as you need.
(We’re a small island with narrow, old rail system run privately by greedy people. Don’t expect this to change anytime soon.)

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
A properly integrated multi-modal public transport system should allow you to rock-up at a train station with a bike and get aboard. Booking in advance does somewhat ruin the freewheeling spontaneous nature of cycle touring...
It just takes a few paradigm shifts to get you there....

A couple of years ago, I arrived at Glasgow Queen Street station. to board the train to Oban, having booked the bikes for the trip when I and a few other cyclist got to the train the bike space was full of non booked bikes, the staff were vey good and found the owners and made them take there bikes out of the train so we could board our bikes. Its a silly situation, in the days of slam door trains there was a cargo/ luggage/cycle space which in most cases could take all the cycles. I have in the past writen to Southern railways regarding cycle space, that as each rake of carrages on there Electrostar trains has First class sections at each end which for most journeys are hardly used could they not convert one into a cycle space for a dozen cycles. reply was that it was impossible because of design, health and safety concerns. the usual BS.

minininjarob

To be honest I’d take the car. On your own with a loaded bike isn’t much fun but doable. When I tour with my wife I have to help her so that makes it more difficult. When you get to 3 people you run into the issue that trains often will only let 2 bikes book on (some do let more on I know but it’s very variable) so the potential problems just stack up so much.

The nail in the coffin for me would be paying for 3 people’s train fares. Even if you cope with the bikes and the luggage and the bookings etc by the time you’ve paid for all the tickets you could probably tax, insure and service your car for a year for the same cost. Sad but true.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The nail in the coffin for me would be paying for 3 people’s train fares. Even if you cope with the bikes and the luggage and the bookings etc by the time you’ve paid for all the tickets you could probably tax, insure and service your car for a year for the same cost. Sad but true.
Not true any more than 3 people travelling by car costing 3 times one person travelling by car. Group discounts are normally available. It's mainly the limited bike space that frustrates group tours using train transfers in this country. We should force groups of transport ministers to try it here and in Benelux or the German-speaking countries and then they should realise how they're failing.

The Friends & family Railcard was great when my children were younger. 60% of their fares, and 33% off mine, all over the UK.

Did some nice trips with their bikes.

Definitely worth considering - just need to plan in advance to be sure of getting the really cheap tickets for longer routes

Oldboots091

Change the bike to a folding one. Plenty out there and robust enough to cope with touring. You will never have a transport issue again.
tern_tour-1200x600.jpg

tom73

Guru
The Friends & family Railcard was great when my children were younger. 60% of their fares, and 33% off mine, all over the UK.

Did some nice trips with their bikes.

Definitely worth considering - just need to plan in advance to be sure of getting the really cheap tickets for longer routes

We have a two together rail card well worth it save's us a fair bit. Yes a bit of planning maybe needed but worth giving the train a go.

Top Bottom