Touring Caravans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
What did you do to get it impounded?

There's a few of us share it now, apparently. :okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
And not being able to sleep for fear of them being stolen, doesn’t sound like fun.

They aren't my dog's, they belong to Fabbers and Whimpers, I'll sleep very soundly, unless I'm next door and the little farkers are yapping all night... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To be fair when I had a dog in previous life, we'd normally holiday in cottage having established before booking they were happy with a dog that was crate trained, but it would usually be in its crate in the kitchen, not the car.

and conversely when I had a holiday cottage I was happy for dogs to stay as long as they stayed downstairs,

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dear @Fab Foodie

I have always found you a pleasant and thought provoking comrade on Cycle Chat, and a while ago was delighted to hear that you had discovered the charms of the South West.

Because of this it gives me great sadness to hear that you are joining the ranks of people set on destroying the very thing you came here to enjoy.

I apologise now for the inevitable occasion when we meet on one of the Devon lanes, me on my bike and you with your monstrosity. I will not be squeezing into the nettles to let you past.

Said half in humour.

You see, if I get my choice it will be narrower than the campervan and no wider than a large car :-) No nettling required x

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

They aren't my dog's, they belong to Fabbers and Whimpers, I'll sleep very soundly, unless I'm next door and the little farkers are yapping all night... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

To be fair when I had a dog in previous life, we'd normally holiday in cottage having established before booking they were happy with a dog that was crate trained, but it would usually be in its crate in the kitchen, not the car.

and conversely when I had a holiday cottage I was happy for dogs to stay as long as they stayed downstairs,

Whippets almost never bark :-)

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Being a caravanner and having lived in Devon for the past 18 years - recently moved to West Somerset - I feel that I could offer some first hand experience for the dilemma that @Fab Foodie finds himself in regarding choice of vehicle/size of van/Devon lanes.
There's just the two of us (lost our old JR last year :cry:) and we only had one vehicle - a Honda CRV - which has a similar towing capacity as a Dacia.
When deciding on a replacement van in 2019, our priority was for more space and a bigger bathroom/shower.
We found that the Swift Challenger 480/Eccles Topaz range fitted the bill perfectly.
Not too big and unwieldy but big enough to be comfortable.
I've towed this combo all over the South West with no problems. We always stay on small out of the way sites and have never had difficulty on narrow roads/lanes.
It's an older van - 2008 - so I don't worry as much about it as if I'd laid down 25k+ on a new one.
We like to set up at a site and then explore locally. This can be difficult with a motorhome.

IMG_20230727_171337368_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230727_171356808_HDR.jpg

We're off to Frome tomorrow for a few days to corral with some mates. ^_^

Last edited:
Hi

We use a Duster 4wd with a Eriba triton.
Eribas are more aerodynamic, but are heavy for there size. A decent awning/canopy is very useful, but they can have a tendency to leak at the awning rail, as this is lower than the roof, water can collect.

If light disrupts your sleep, there is a screen you can get to block the canvas on th roof

If you do go down the eriba route, they do hold their resale value

Jameshow

Veteran
How about one if the lighter range of caravans? Sprite or the basic baileys?

We had a Avondale dart 556 which was 1300kg all up. Towed it with a ford focus 1.6 which was a bit lightweight!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I'm tempted to get one in retirement, they don't need loads of exercise, they don't shed much hair, now I know they don't yap, plus I have an enviable selection of flat caps...👍

They fold-up small too!
Be warned, they will end up on your sofa and they will end up on or in your bed - ask any Whippet owner!
They don't need a hours of exercise either (although they'll happily walk all day) a couple of good zoomies a day and then they'll sleep forever.
They don't like getting wet either, no major health issues and don't eat vast amounts either. All in all, pretty easy to own!
They are very calm, loving and really like human company.
Be aware that whilst not stupid, they are obstinate. They all have a prey-drive, some stronger than others - females are often the worst. So when out walking be aware they'll chase squirrels, cats, sheep, deer etc. Cats will almost always get the better of a Whippet!
That said, even in cattle and wildlife covered Devon there are plenty of places to let them run free.
If you want any further info, feel free to PM me.

Somebody once said that a Whippet is the most elegant thing you will ever own!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

How about one if the lighter range of caravans? Sprite or the basic baileys?

We had a Avondale dart 556 which was 1300kg all up. Towed it with a ford focus 1.6 which was a bit lightweight!

I like the new lightweight Baileys! For me they're an option.

D

Deleted member 26715

Be warned, they will end up on your sofa and they will end up on or in your bed - ask any Whippet owner!
Sorry but that is just bad training, owners being too soft, never had a dog on furniture or bed in 50+ years, but I know many are happy to allow it, it just churns my stomach.

Top Bottom