Touring Caravans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Dears
After 2 weeks rattling around Scotland in our fab Campervan, dearest Wimpers has decided it's too small and she wants a bit more comfort. Furthermore, now we have moved west, for a variety of factors, the raison d'etre for the smaller, swifter, more economic Campervan has gone. We could invest again in a bigger luxo-job as we once had, but that doesn't seem a good use of money.
With a Caravan you lose mobility and freedom to a certain extent, but gain space and more bang for your buck. In any case - recent clampdowns on so-called- wild or free camping mean we spend most of our time on campsites anyhow.

So, here's our dilemma!
We have a Dacia Duster that will tow a smallish Caravan - I really fancy one of those Sexy retro-Eribas which the Duster would tow admirably.
Wimpers wants a bigger white wobble-box and a bigger car.
Owning a more expensive to purchase and less economical car to run on a day to day basis has never been, in my life-plan. Devon lanes and big vehicles/towed items are not best friends!
To be fair, I hate towing, so size is/maybe a factor

So for those out there that have toured widely with caravans, what do you think?
Go small and nimble with the more outdoorsey, cool and chic retro-Eriba and accept a bit less space, BUT keep our cheap to run car, OR, go against my better nature and go for a boring bigger car and caravan combo?
Accomodation for 2 peeps, 2 Whippets.

Off for a look-about tomorrow....

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Dears
After 2 weeks rattling around Scotland in our fab Campervan, dearest Wimpers has decided it's too small and she wants a bit more comfort. Furthermore, now we have moved west, for a variety of factors, the raison d'etre for the smaller, swifter, more economic Campervan has gone. We could invest again in a bigger luxo-job as we once had, but that doesn't seem a good use of money.
With a Caravan you lose mobility and freedom to a certain extent, but gain space and more bang for your buck. In any case - recent clampdowns on so-called- wild or free camping mean we spend most of our time on campsites anyhow.

So, here's our dilemma!
We have a Dacia Duster that will tow a smallish Caravan - I really fancy one of those Sexy retro-Eribas which the Duster would tow admirably.
Owning a more expensive to purchase and less economical car to run on a day to day basis has never been, in my life-plan. Devon lanes and big vehicles/towed items are not best friends!

So for those out there that have toured widely with caravans, what do you think?
Go small and nimble with the more outdoorsey, cool and chic retro-Eriba and accept a bit less space, BUT keep our cheap to run car, OR, go against my better nature and go for a boring bigger car and caravan combo?

This sounds expensive

figbat

Slippery scientist
I was thinking about the car dilemma myself during a recent caravan-towing slog. We use our van 3-4 times a year, at which point the car we have does a perfect job of towing it. But then for the majority of the year we’re using a car that is much bigger than required to move the family and dog about. However, I would personally prefer the size and comfort of a bigger van and whatever car can comfortably pull it. The bigger car also allows a decent amount of payload to go in the car rather than the van, since user payload on vans is laughably small, especially when you put a motor mover on it.

johnnyb47

Guru
My ex wife and I had our Eriba Puck L for around ten years.It was brilliant to tow and it felt rock solid due to the frame work being constructed of steel.
If you get a Puck or a Puck L it really needs and awning or sun canopy due to size constraints.They also hold there value very well .When I was forced to sell ours I actually got more than I paid for it originally
If you decide to get a Puck L I have an awning just sitting in the spare bedroom that I want to sell if you're interested.
Great long lasting caravans in my opinion

Alex321

Veteran
Dears

So, here's our dilemma!

If the issue with the campervan is that it is too small, then one of those retro-Eribas isn't going to be much better.

We used medium sized touring caravans for about 35 years before switching to a campervan last year - butu a fiairly large campervan - based on a Fiat Ducato Max.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

If the issue with the campervan is that it is too small, then one of those retro-Eribas isn't going to be much better.

We used medium sized touring caravans for about 35 years before switching to a campervan last year - butu a fiairly large campervan - based on a Fiat Ducato Max.

Our Campervan is 6.4m - with a f.huuuge fixed bed at the rear - a rear lounge would have been better in hindsight even though it would mean making beds every day. That would have given a better daily living space. The Eriba 540 has a lounge area with 2 x long seats that can be used as singles or converted or made into a double. At the opposite end is a 2 person dinette which makes a single. So in reality there's much more human and dog space even though the overall size is compact. We'd probs have an awning as well for longer trips.
So it offers more comfort and space.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I always think the cost of caravan buys you an awful lot of nights in a B&B.....

Less easy with 2 dogs.

D

Deleted member 26715

I don't know why you are even contemplating this, you know you have already lost, buy the big car & big van, you could always by a small car for your daily runabout, only VED the big car for the towing months

D

Deleted member 26715

Keep the camper, far cooler and I couldn't think of anything worse than towing a caravan.
I can, having a camper, don't understand the appeal, having to pack everything away to go get the milk from the shop 10 miles away, having to find large car parks to park in, not able to get where you want to go, being stranded on the campsite.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

I don't know why you are even contemplating this, you know you have already lost, buy the big car & big van, you could always by a small car for your daily runabout, only VED the big car for the towing months

Wimpers will be using the big car as her runabout (a reasonable weekly mileage), we already have a small runabout which only I use....

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Are your travels limited to the UK, or, do you plan mainland Europe jaunts?

Long distance mainland Europe jaunts, are, in my opinion, easier with a Campervan/Motorhome.

Climate change not withstanding, mainland Europe jaunts tend more towards increased use of outdoor space, UK climate tends towards indoor space.

UK trips almost always involve booking and campsites, in which case, again, in my view that levels the field somewhat between Caravan and Campervan/Motorhome.

I also think layout is key, and, you have to consider how YOU are going to use it. We have gone through four variations on layout, (in motorhome) before finding one which suits our usage/needs.

Top Bottom