Touring Caravans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Our Campervan is 6.4m - with a f.huuuge fixed bed at the rear - a rear lounge would have been better in hindsight even though it would mean making beds every day. That would have given a better daily living space. The Eriba 540 has a lounge area with 2 x long seats that can be used as singles or converted or made into a double. At the opposite end is a 2 person dinette which makes a single. So in reality there's much more human and dog space even though the overall size is compact. We'd probs have an awning as well for longer trips.
So it offers more comfort and space.

That is a remarkably large caravan for the weight. And well within the towing limits for any model Duster (which range from 1200Kg to 1500Kg.

D

Deleted member 26715

That bird's already flown...it's going :sad:
Told you :laugh:
Wimpers will be using the big car as her runabout (a reasonable weekly mileage, we already have a small runabout which only I use....
It may make sense to buy a 2nd small car as another daily, this may of course depend on the lady's requirement & if she is prepared to drive around in an older reliable vehicle, or whether it has to be new(ish) There is a guy in the village with a Shogun, it's only on the road for 4 months a year in the towing season.

Alex321

Veteran
Keep the camper, far cooler and I couldn't think of anything worse than towing a caravan.

We have had both, and each has advantages and disadvantages.

Caravans are definitely better if you want the type of holiday where you set up at a base and visit a variety of nearby locations, because you don't have to pack everything away before leaving the site.

Towing a caravan is not as hard as those who haven't done it think, and speeds are comparable to those of many campervans.

But the campervan does give more flexibility while on the road, and is probably better in the sort of holiday where you want to stay in a number of different sites.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Are your travels limited to the UK, or, do you plan mainland Europe jaunts?

Long distance mainland Europe jaunts, are, in my opinion, easier with a Campervan/Motorhome.

Climate change not withstanding, mainland Europe jaunts tend more towards increased use of outdoor space, UK climate tends towards indoor space.

UK trips almost always involve booking and campsites, in which case, again, in my view that levels the field somewhat between Caravan and Campervan/Motorhome.

I also think layout is key, and, you have to consider how YOU are going to use it. We have gone through four variations on layout, (in motorhome) before finding one which suits our usage/needs.

Mostly UK for he forseable.
We have had many layouts of Motorhome too, all good in their own way. The campervan was brilliant when we were regularly schlepping from East Kent to the West for Lure coursing in fields in the middle of nowhere down tiddly little lanes. Big comfy motorhome was no good on the narrow stuff, was slow and thirsty and too likely to get bogged-down in a field. Big Motorhomes wer also a handful in the quieter parts of Scotland.
For those reasons the smaller lighter narrower Eriba makes sense. I'm always outdoors and Wimpers indoors anyhow!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Clearly beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but surely only a mother could love something like this, I can see why it's called a Troll

https://www.adventurelv.com/new/caravans/eriba/touring-troll-540-details/

That's my desire! The split-screen VW of caravans!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My suggestion, which neither of you would like, would be one of these to take you there:

b6324d34cb0e48ed8993e6cd13abdf6f.jpg

And one of these rented to stay in:

g-02-patina-maldives-1.jpg

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have had camper vans, caravans and boats. Like a lot of people I tended to trade up to a bigger size but latterly had a 5.9 meter coach built Italian job which was amply big enough for two of us tho’ we did not have dogs. It had more useable interior space than any UK ones we looked at.
Friends who lived just along from us had a larger and considerably more expensive “ luxury” van which I would never have considered as the interior was very cramped.
We eventually concluded that a VW Type2 van conversion had been our best size and I did about 10000 miles in that since it was also used for business purposes.
Boats we went up to 26ft but ended up with 18ft which saw more use than the larger one.
I take the view nowadays that smaller is better and looking at the problems large vans have finding anywhere to park here I would not go over 6meters tho’ that is partly influenced by ferry charges.
If I did not have a trike to carry I would by now have converted my Peugeot Partner to a camper.
Towing caravans our biggest was a Sprite Alpine at 12ft 6ins which took us and two children before we went to camper vans.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Dear @Fab Foodie

I have always found you a pleasant and thought provoking comrade on Cycle Chat, and a while ago was delighted to hear that you had discovered the charms of the South West.

Because of this it gives me great sadness to hear that you are joining the ranks of people set on destroying the very thing you came here to enjoy.

I apologise now for the inevitable occasion when we meet on one of the Devon lanes, me on my bike and you with your monstrosity. I will not be squeezing into the nettles to let you past.

Said half in humour.

Top Bottom