Touring Caravans.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks folks - subject to a 24hr contemplation period, we have a second hand Coachman Caravan and a second hand VW van reserved.

Running the numbers on paper we're slightly better off per month than we are now.

Wimpers will sell the Duster and utilise the C1 for more daily running around. The VW will be brill at towing the Caravan, fab for brief overnighters and long days out and will be good for general fetching and carrying.

Compromise and negotiation all round has given us a good solution! Wimpers has space aplenty and oodles of comfort and we have a bijou Campervan for running about when we're camped-up, for staying overnight when I see the kids a d grandkids and the caravan will be good for their summer hols too.

Am sure there's something wrong....

Appreciate the input as always!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks folks - subject to a 24hr contemplation period, we have a second hand Coachman Caravan and a second hand VW van reserved.

Running the numbers on paper we're slightly better off per month than we are now.

Wimpers will sell the Duster and utilise the C1 for more daily running around. The VW will be brill at towing the Caravan, fab for brief overnighters and long days out and will be good for general fetching and carrying.

Compromise and negotiation all round has given us a good solution! Wimpers has space aplenty and oodles of comfort and we have a bijou Campervan for running about when we're camped-up, for staying overnight when I see the kids a d grandkids and the caravan will be good for their summer hols too.

added bonus is that if you have a row, one of you can sleep in the VW van and the other in the Caravan :laugh:

Jameshow

Veteran

Our T5.1 has been the best car we have owned. Needed a new battery and a egr valve but that's it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No doubt you've looked into it, but vans do not generally make good towing vehicles.

Too light at the back, I suspect.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
They fold-up small too!
Be warned, they will end up on your sofa and they will end up on or in your bed - ask any Whippet owner!
They don't need a hours of exercise either (although they'll happily walk all day) a couple of good zoomies a day and then they'll sleep forever.
They don't like getting wet either, no major health issues and don't eat vast amounts either. All in all, pretty easy to own!
They are very calm, loving and really like human company.
Be aware that whilst not stupid, they are obstinate. They all have a prey-drive, some stronger than others - females are often the worst. So when out walking be aware they'll chase squirrels, cats, sheep, deer etc. Cats will almost always get the better of a Whippet!
That said, even in cattle and wildlife covered Devon there are plenty of places to let them run free.
If you want any further info, feel free to PM me.

Somebody once said that a Whippet is the most elegant thing you will ever own!

We had a rescue whippet when I was a kid , she was very nervous due to the abuse she had before being rescued but such a lovely temperament. I cried my eyes out when she died .

GilesM

Legendary Member

You certainly went for luxury as opposed to small and nimble, enjoy.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

You certainly went for luxury as opposed to small and nimble, enjoy.

Yep - the boss won!
I get that, imagine being in Cornwall these 2 weeks with pissing rain and 2 dogs - space, comfort, cosiness are the requirements and space to hang wet coats, dog towels and muddy boots. The win-win here was being able to get the VW which will be great for day trips and the odd overnight -though whether we'd survive one night all together in there is an interesting question! It will also share daily runabout duties with the C1 as required.
Have a 1 day towing course booked for next week which will be in a long vehicle pulling a long caravan around a mixture of roads as well as the usual manoeuvring stuff! Am giving it my best shot!

20230731_120317.jpg

IMG-20230731-WA0009.jpg

20230731_131953.jpg

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

We had a rescue whippet when I was a kid , she was very nervous due to the abuse she had before being rescued but such a lovely temperament. I cried my eyes out when she died .

Awww, I can imagine.
My first Whippet which lives with my ex-wife (it was hers anyway) was 12 yesterday. Such great companions and so undemanding.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Have a 1 day towing course booked for next week

Top man, I doubt many drivers would be so responsible.

Even if you are already a good and safe driver, I'm sure you'll learn something from the course.

My towing experience is mostly limited to dragging agricultural tackle with a tractor a few miles around the lanes.

That was straightforward, but I don't doubt towing a 'van over hundreds of miles is a great deal harder.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Top man, I doubt many drivers would be so responsible.

Even if you are already a good and safe driver, I'm sure you'll learn something from the course.

My towing experience is mostly limited to dragging agricultural tackle with a tractor a few miles around the lanes.

That was straightforward, but I don't doubt towing a 'van over hundreds of miles is a great deal harder.

I figured that something that long demands a certain amount of respect on Motorway, A-roads, and Devon lane - be an idea to get it to it's new storage in one piece on the first day!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Awww, I can imagine.
My first Whippet which lives with my ex-wife (it was hers anyway) was 12 yesterday. Such great companions and so undemanding.

my experience of ex-wives is very different :laugh:

BTW the VW looks very smart, i could be almost persuaded out of a B&B for that!

Top Bottom