England : Greater Manchester Touring club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoppym27

Anyone know of any touring club in Manchester or surrounding area where the emphasis isn't speed but is nice long leisurely rides and where having a lightweight carbon road bike isn't a requirement

Domus

Guru
No, but if you start one I could be interested. In bed at the moment feeling rather tender. Not up to sitting on a bike that's for sure. When I am ready my riding is
50 kms ish and good coffee. Early 60s and been riding just over 2 years.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We organise lots of forum rides up here that are like that - some examples! :okay: New faces always welcome.

50-125 miles (80-200 km) at overall speeds of about 8-12 mph (13 -21 kph). Often (but not always) hilly. Shorter rides usually one cafe stop, longer ones two.

I will be organising 100 km rides in November and December, probably from Todmorden. That is unless we get an early, brutal winter, or something untoward happens before then!

Watch out for the annual 200 km ride from Victoria station to do a big loop in Cheshire. That is usually at the start of June.

TeeShot

Veteran

Ahh, that's my lot !!!

If you like an easy paced ride, good company, tasty café/pub stops I would highly recommend them

bigjim

Legendary Member
Yea I ride with them too. I always thing of it as a Gentlemans day out. But we have a few ladies too. They do tend to up the pace a little bit though if it looks like we may not get back to Costa before they close.

Last edited:
A friend of mine runs a group called Prestwich pootlers. They do a couple of tours a year, normally a variation on coast to coast over 3 or 4 days. Pace is leisurely.
There is also a face book based group Manchester social cycling that normally do a couple of rides a month, one of them is normally an intro ride for people that have not done group riding before. Pace is normally around 12-14mph but they ride at the pace of the slowest rider, nobody is left behind. Their rides normally leave from the velodrome and go out to Cheshire, or North towards Hollingworth lake/Hebdon Bridge.

Top Bottom