Touring from Kent to Pembrokeshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martin Rees

Unleash the Geek
Hi Everyone

So it’s been a while since I have been on here and likewise a long time since I have done any real cycling. to motivate myself I have decided to tour from Maidstone in Kent to the Marloes in Pembrokeshire in September. I will be camping along the way and carrying everything on the bike. This is my first attempt at doing a proper tour so any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I have done the London to Paris cycle back in 2015 but this was an organised even and I never had to carry anything other than daily items and basic repair tools.

I have the rough route planned and a few things I would like to see or do along the way but I am open to any suggestions of routes to take along the way.

So far I have included:

1. Cycle through London past Buckingham Palace, Tower Bridge and the usual sights

2. Cycle over a mountain (this will be the Brecon Beacons in Wales)

3. Cycle the Bristol - Bath Railway Path

4. Cycle along the Canal (Grand Union Canal Slough Arm)

Can anyone suggest any sights to see other than these and also any routes I should or shouldn’t take along the way.

Just to add I am doing this Solo and will be taking as little gear as possible so if there is anything you can suggest to take or not to take please let me know.

thanks

Martin

jay clock

Massive member
Lovely ride.. Personally I do actually enjoy cycling in London but many don't.. The main challenge of getting the nice sights is 30 plus miles of sprawl in and the same out again

I would head further south

Salisbury is lovely as is Bath.. I can recommend a good route

If you want to carry camping kit you will likely need a tougher bike than a road bike...

Have a look at my kit list for my next trip and feel free to email me there for advice Www.usacycle2018.com

All the best

Jay

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Include the bridges of Bristol! I think the BBRP leads you over or very close to Valentine's bridge, then the Brunel mile takes you to Pero's bridge, a climb up to Clifton for the famous suspension bridge, iffy North Somerset roadside tracks lead to Avonmouth bridge, which then leaves you pointing towards the Severn bridge.

https://happypontist.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Bristol bridges series?m=0 covers at least three

Last edited:

robjh

Legendary Member
I rode from Cambridgeshire to St Davids last year on a route that may cross your path at points, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I haven't got too many concrete suggestions, as the riding and the scenery were thoroughly enjoyable throughout, but if I were to mention just a few thoughts :
- agree with @mjr about the bridges of Bristol, at least the Clifton and Avonmouth ones
- you'll obviously be going across the Severn Bridge, which is very good indeed
- the neolithic monuments of Wiltshire such as Silbury Hill, Avebury and Uffington Castle (a hill fort above the white horse) are worth a diversion if you're nearby
- much of the Ridgeway is rideable with tough tyres (as long as it's dry). Not good for long distances as it's slow, and rough in parts, but a short stretch might be interesting and give some wild camping opportunities
- the whole tract of hills from the Black Mountains-Brecon Beacon-Fforest Fawr-Mynydd Du have some great roads - as long as it's dry you can hardly go wrong:okay:
- Pembrokeshire is hilly too, but less so in the south where it sounds like you're heading. The north coast is spectacular though.

I'm sure it'll be good whichever way you go.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Gospel Pass if you can whilst you are over that way.
Avebury at dawn can be very stirring spot.
Carn Ingli behind Newport, Pembs and the nearby Pentre Ifan
Cleddua Bridge is entertaining; especially if climbed from the Pembroke Dock side.

Last edited:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
PS Following the route of the Kennet and Avon Canal on nearby lanes (I don't recommend the towpath very highly) allows easy access to all manner of interest. I recommend riding the towpath at the Dundas Aqueduct.

Reactions: mjr

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
As to advice...

When packing the bike.

Lay out everything you intend to take on the floor. Put half of it back where you got it from.
Pack the bike.
Unpack the bike
Lay out everything you intended to take on the floor. Put half of that back where you got it from.

(and mark the location of all near route LBS's on your maps)

Top Bottom