Touring - physical preparation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dwn

Before the onset of coronavirus I booked all of my travel and accommodation for a 3 day trip to France and Belgium. This is due to happen in about 6 weeks so there is still an outside possibility of it going ahead, although no more than that.

If it does go ahead, I will need to be cycling about 50 miles on each of the three days. Prior to lockdown, I had planned to increase my weekly mileage to a point where this would be easily manageable. However, I only got in one 50+ mile training run before the lockdown started.

I've been doing 15 miles every day for the last two weeks, and want to keep this up during the lockdown (it takes just over an hour). I'm absolutely confident I could do a single 50 mile trip today if I had to, but don't know about a second or third day.

My question for the more experienced is, will that be enough training if the lockdown is lifted just before I am due to go, or should I write-off the idea now? For a variety of reasons I can't defer until later in the year.

Thanks

Sharky

Guru
I'm sure you will be OK for the tour. A regular 1 hour ride is a really good base and springboard for the longer rides. I'd even go to say that riding every day could be a bit too much. Give yourself a rest day once or twice a week and you will notice the difference.

Good luck

lazytyke

Guru
I'd have thought you'd be fine. If you break the day into stages, with morning break, then lunch you are not doing long stints. You don't have to knock yourself out - pootling along at 10mph, you only need to cycle for 5 hours in total, that leaves plenty of time for long breaks to rest and recuperate. The worst thing will probably be strain on any contact points - wrists/bum ! Try and get your bike set up as comfortable as possible before you go.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I agree with my learned friends!

The main challenge with starting touring IMO is the repeated rides and making sure you're comfortable climbing onto the bike for the fifth short ride in two days. I soon discovered that saddle fine for the commute didn't quite cut it - or rather did!

RobinS

Veteran
When we tour we set off with no training at all - last couple of long tours we have set off late April/early May, without even having ridden our bikes since the previous autumn (we spend winters working in the Alps). We are not young (52 and 59), but it's really not hard doing moderate mileages without training as long as the bike is set up comfortably, and you know the saddle is right for you.
That said - I think the chance of being allowed into France in six weeks is pretty remote.

OP
OP
Dwn

Dwn

Thanks for the encouraging replies; I feel a little more confident about it.

Who knows whether or not France will be open to visitors in 6 weeks. Perhaps not, but if so I would like to be ready.

I wouldn't be cancelling on physical grounds.
It's a common apprehension people have "Will I be physically able to cycle what I've planned?". Perfectly normal when day two is based on completing day one etc. However, as pointed out above 50 miles per day is quite easy to achieve if you physically and mentally break it down. You have reservations, there is lots of daylight, excellent cycling infrastructure and lots of backup should you need it - public transport etc.

What is important, though, is that your bike is in good order and that you're comfortable on it. So have the bike tuned up before you leave and listen to your body as you cycle. Most people who suffer from over exertion do so on day three - just when you'll be finishing up! ^_^

Having said all that, there's much more to enjoying a cycle tour than just grinding out the miles.
Make sure you're comfortable with whatever you're using for navigation. Make sure you have your reservation info and contact info - in a couple of places (In these times not a bad idea to confirm before departing). Make sure your phone is set up for use abroad. Bank card ditto. All the small details that can stress us out if they go wrong.

Good luck!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
So have the bike tuned up before you leave
But tune it up soon if you can: long enough ahead that you'll discover it if the tuner made any mistakes (and not as you set off) but not so long enough ahead that you've worn out any parts.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
You'll be absolutely fine if you're doing 15 miles a day now. Might be worth doing that with whatever luggage you plan for the tour (as much for mechanical and practicality test as fitness).

I fear the likelihood of being able to travel for this in 6 weeks is vanishingly low, but I could be wrong. I certainly hope so!

Very best of luck.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I'd have thought you'd be fine. If you break the day into stages, with morning break, then lunch you are not doing long stints. You don't have to knock yourself out - pootling along at 10mph, you only need to cycle for 5 hours in total, that leaves plenty of time for long breaks to rest and recuperate. The worst thing will probably be strain on any contact points - wrists/bum ! Try and get your bike set up as comfortable as possible before you go.

All of above.

A bit like Hobbes, there will be times when I've set off on tours after I've barely ridden at all for several weeks beforehand.

But I've kept fit in other ways I spose.

Fifty miles a day is a nice civilised touring pace imo.

It gives you time to stop and look, and see the sights.
(and in my case find somewhere to pitch a tent(

Personally I don't see the point of endlessly grinding out the miles staring at the tarmac.

But each to their own.

As others have said make sure your bike is in reasonable fettle, and contact points are comfortable.

And don't worry too much, it's supposed to be enjoyable, not a SAS 'do or die' mission.

However, I'd say its unlikely that any of us will be skipping off to France on our holibobs in six weeks time.

Fingers crossed on that, for you.

Maybe next year instead :sad:

MarkF

Guru
As others have said, you are doing 15 miles in an hour now so won't have any problems.

I've never done any training and only twice has that been a problem, underestimating first day climbing in Cornwall and Cantabria. I aim to cover 40-50 miles a day giving me plenty of time to mosey around and change my route if I feel like it. By day 4 I am well into it and by day 7 am actively looking forward to climbs that I'd normally avoid, l don't have or want a rest day.

I am 57 and look forward to tours, they get me super fit and MrsF can't keep her hands off my thighs when I get back.:okay:

Top Bottom