Towing another (riderless) bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
I have three bikes, my main bike has to go in for some repairs soon, which will mean riding to bike shop and busing back.

I HATE buses! They make me feel sick.

Do any of you ever tow a riderless bike, with another bike? if so, How???

stevegt

Many years ago i loaned a mate my brothers bike (brother was not aware of this loan :smile: ) and when he had finished with it i collected on my bike. I rode with one hand on the handlebars of each which is much harder than it sounds! Just as i arrived at home feeling quite smug about not falling off i was lit up by blue flashing lights! The police wondered why somone was riding two bikes at night with no lights!

I dont think you would be able to tow a bike behind but if you can ride with one hand on each handlebar then it would be possible for short distances. Not easy though!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Many years ago i loaned a mate my brothers bike (brother was not aware of this loan :smile: ) and when he had finished with it i collected on my bike. I rode with one hand on the handlebars of each which is much harder than it sounds! Just as i arrived at home feeling quite smug about not falling off i was lit up by blue flashing lights! The police wondered why somone was riding two bikes at night with no lights!

I dont think you would be able to tow a bike behind but if you can ride with one hand on each handlebar then it would be possible for short distances. Not easy though!
I would fall off using that method, without a doubt! I have really poor balance and can just about ride one bike, never mind two!

I was thinking more of some kind of trailer or tow bar.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
I have a trailer that's big enough to tow another bike on (I built it, and this was one purpose I had in mind, so I made sure it was big enough). At a pinch, it could carry two bikes.

Any largeish trailer could do it; the bikes are probably best stood on saddle and handlebars and securely strapped down.

Why not ask the bike shop for a courtesy bike? If they have rental bikes, you might be lucky.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
A few weeks ago I saw a chap riding what appeared to be two bikes connected side-by-side. There were bars joining the two bikes at various points and it had a wooden floor, presumably for some load carrying. It was certainly possible to have two folk on the contraption although the guy was riding the leftmost frame.

This was near the SECC, did anyone else in Glasgow see it?

GC

Reece

Veteran
I've done it before riding my bike and holding the stem of the other. All depends how far you have to go as can be a bit awkward.

But like above I was also stopped by the police so they could check bike numbers to see if they was stolen or anything and also a lecture on safety.

Night Train

Maker of Things
If you have rear rack on one of the bikes you could remove the front wheel off the other bike and then hook the front drop outs onto the rear of the rack. Strap it down with webbing luggage straps over the fork crown, or over the bars but not the frame, and it will track behind you like a trailer. Don't forget to strap the removed front wheel to the bike and take it with you.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
I did this back when I was at college. A friend had to get the train home quickly for some reason (escapes me). What I did was to remove the front wheel and strap that to the frame. Then I used a long bit of wood the college lent me and tied it to my cross bar and the other bikes cross bar - forming a long, 3 wheeled bike. Worked well enough, got both bikes home (4 miles) with no worries at all. Pretty sure I've got a photo somewhere in an album of me on it!

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
There is something you can fit to the back of one bike and the front of another so you can join them up. It may only work for towing kiddies bikes though.
I did wonder about this, we have an old tailgater in the garage somewhere.

fimm

Veteran
Get your dog to ride it? ;)
How about a Carry Freedom trailer? I've never seen one in the flesh, but have heard good reports. That might solve your bike and dog problems all in one go...
(Many apologies if I have confused you with someone else with a dog transport problem...)

Top Bottom