Towing another (riderless) bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
oooh thanks for the offer! Let me know when you've finished it and I'll pop round and pick it up!
If you want I can see if I can sort out some sort of wheel bag that might work. It may need to be padded on the rack side.

Maybe a little way off though as I am both ill and still have to get a number of things done on short deadlines.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
If you want I can see if I can sort out some sort of wheel bag that might work. It may need to be padded on the rack side.

Maybe a little way off though as I am both ill and still have to get a number of things done on short deadlines.
Oh no! Don't bother yourself! I shall start putting my thinking cap on. I've got numerous disused panniers in my garge that might be convertable.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Ok. The thing to do is to ensure that the pannier is able to keep the wheel rigidly to the side of the rack so the speedway bike doesn't fall over.

I think I might make one of these anyway. It could be a another item to add to our product range.:thumbsup:

Arch

Married to Night Train

Both of you are ill!? Oh Noes! ;)

Sounds like an interesting project. I've tried to cycle one bike and lead another, and just couldn't do it. Mainly, I couldn't start off one handed. A friend and I even tried me riding past and grabbing a bike from her as I went, but that didn't work....

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
A coulpe of years ago, I was seven miles from home and riding my roadie when I came across a boot fair, among the stalls was a bike that really was too much of a bargain to turn down, being sold as a non runner. ( I did have a nodding aquaintance with the seller through work, so new where I could find him if I found the bike to be stolen ) Having exhausted all options, delivery, collection by family/friend, locking it up and coming back for it, I was lumbered with the 2 bikes to get home ! I pushed the bikes out of the fair wondering how long the walk was gonna take me. As it happened, the way home began on a cycle path with a gentle slope downwards. Without giviing much thought to what I was about to do, I leant my new aquisition against a lamp post, and took a few paces back. I mounted my roadie, gently pushing off and as I came level with the other bike, grabbed the handlebars, keeping my forward momentum, and before I knew it I was rolling along with my left hand steering my roadie and my right hand holding and steering the new one. I was able to go up and down my triple front gears and brake my roadie, as well as steer and brake the extra bike. With a mix of cycle paths, pavements and footpaths, I made my way home without putting a foot down. If I needed to stop, I was able to lean slightly towards the spare and keep my feet on the pedals. I didnt travel at much more than walking pace, but it got me and both bikes home without any problem at all. It actually felt very stable. I dont make a habit of doing this, but have done it a couple of times since and have always felt quite safe in doing so. I certainly wouldnt want to pick up any speed, nor ride on the road, but it is a solution. As it happened, the bike simply needed a new freewheel and a bit of T L C , and I made a nice little profit when I sold it on.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Well, I have to write about this:
today I saw a cyclist riding effortlessly one handed, while pulling another riderless bike with his left.
He must have been very experienced, was going at a fair speed, holding the bike next to him by the stem, not by the handlebar.
By the time I thought about taking a picture, he was gone.
This is certainly a skill I would like to have, probably you need strong arms and a bit more height than I have to be able to keep the second bike parallel to the one you are riding.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm resuscitating this discussion again to ask if anyone who posted above has further news of what works or doesn't work, please?

I'm pondering the following options:
1. hanging the fork from the side of the rear rack as mentioned a couple of times above - I'm not sure if I can do this securely enough;
2. using a fork mount/saris traps type thing on a board in the bottom of the two-wheeled trailer - would the trailing bike roll the trailer over? Would strapping the bars to the front of the trailer frame prevent that?
3. using some sort of front-wheel bike stand on a board in the bottom of the trailer - would it roll the trailer over and would holding the front wheel be enough to hold the bike up without damage?
4. fixing one of those a car roof-mount bike rack with a downtube support to the trailer frame front and rear edges - how far apart are car roof bars? Could I mount it far enough back? It would be above the wheel axles so would it make the trailer more likely to roll over?
5. figuring out how to mount a bike on its side on top of the trailer;
6. using one or two of those dummy crossbars intended for putting a child seat on step-through bikes to attach the riderless bike trailgator-style, hopefully keeping the front wheel airborne;
7. failing all that, using the transporting bike to carry a folding bike which I can then ride home - not ideal because it means I couldn't transport an unrideable bike for repair.

classic33

Leg End Member
Remove the pedals and carry it in one hand over the shoulder.
Properly strapped on a trailer, there's nothing to stop you using a trailer. However, most roof rack bars are closer together than the average wheelbase of an adult bike.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Remove the pedals and carry it in one hand over the shoulder.
Is that often an option for any distance? I put it in the same category as ghost-riding - short distances only - and the shortest journey I'd be doing may be 3 miles.
Properly strapped on a trailer, there's nothing to stop you using a trailer. However, most roof rack bars are closer together than the average wheelbase of an adult bike.
What's "properly strapped" though?

And if roof rack bars are closer together than the wheelbase, then it shouldn't matter that the trailer frame front/back bars are closer together, as long as the front of the bike rack doesn't strike the rear wheel of the towing bike, should it?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I dont know if its been mentioned but what about a trailgator?
Technically they are for pulling small kids bikes but if your only towing it without a rider then the weight shouldn't be an issue .

classic33

Leg End Member
Is that often an option for any distance? I put it in the same category as ghost-riding - short distances only - and the shortest journey I'd be doing may be 3 miles.
Carried a bike 15 miles that way. Into Bradford City Centre, through and out the other side.
What's "properly strapped" though?
The bike doesn't move about, or is in danger of falling off whilst moving.[
And if roof rack bars are closer together than the wheelbase, then it shouldn't matter that the trailer frame front/back bars are closer together, as long as the front of the bike rack doesn't strike the rear wheel of the towing bike, should it?

Last edited:

mjr

I dont know if its been mentioned but what about a trailgator?
Technically they are for pulling small kids bikes but if your only towing it without a rider then the weight shouldn't be an issue .
I'm not worried about the weight, but they appear to curve downwards to the smaller towed bike so would the geometry work with an adult bike? Has anyone tried it?

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
I used to transport cycles across Norwich by towing them behind a towed cycle trailer. The cycle trailer hitched to the chain stay and was quite stable. To fasten the cycle to the trailer I mounted a block of wood to the base and fixed a QR Skewer to it. When collecting a bicycle I would remove the front wheel and hang it on the handle bars and then fix the front forks to the QR skewer. The block of wood needed to be high enough to ensure the towed cycle's down tube didn't snag on the trailer - but as low as possible and as near to the trailer axle as possible to maximise stability. This set up worked fine and was far safer than cycling one handed while dragging another cycle along in the other hand, which had been my previous method.

Top Bottom