Towing another (riderless) bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Walk?

That's what I do when the one with lifetime servicing goes in.
Walk? Moi? In heels?:eek:
Get your dog to ride it? ;)
How about a Carry Freedom trailer? I've never seen one in the flesh, but have heard good reports. That might solve your bike and dog problems all in one go...
(Many apologies if I have confused you with someone else with a dog transport problem...)
I do indeed have a dog transport problem, or just a dog problem in general if we're being honest!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I've seen a few videos of the Dutch cycling where ive noticed the odd person riding one handed, holding a 2nd bike by its stem although I imagine this is much harder than they make it look. Ive seen a couple of guys doing that here at night in the past, though im not convinced they owned either bike ;)

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There was a parent at my children's primary school who used to ride one bike whilst having one hand on the other bike - a child's bike, downhill from the school. Equally I was never convinced that he came about the ownership of either bike in a legitimate way. The bikes seem to change quite regularly.

It is a problem that I've had many a time when I've needed to get a child to a destination by bike but then expecting them to return via another method. I usually ended up walking both bikes back, or if lucky I would have a friend to hold one of the bikes.

What you need Sara is a friend with a tandem - then they could give you a lift back:bicycle:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A few weeks ago I saw a chap riding what appeared to be two bikes connected side-by-side. There were bars joining the two bikes at various points and it had a wooden floor, presumably for some load carrying. It was certainly possible to have two folk on the contraption although the guy was riding the leftmost frame.

This was near the SECC, did anyone else in Glasgow see it?

GC
I have seen that "contraption" before, at the SECC, coming down the tunnel, heading towards Bell's bridge.
It was two people riding it, transporting stuff, followed by another guy on a bike, with a trailer, about 4 bikes on it, pedaling like mad.
I think the cargo bikes belong to the Bike Station branch off Argyle street.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've ridden while guiding a second bike with a hand on the stem, it's not that hard, it's just tiring and you need to take care not to fight it.

I've never tried it but I remember reading about a rescue technique whereby the rider of the broken bike gets a "backie" on another rider's saddle while carrying the broken bike over his shoulder. Probably only possible for very short distances and in extremis.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Many years ago (Late 70's) I had a trailer that towed behind my bike. I fitted a quick release axle to the base of the trailer and then would collect bicycles by taking the front wheel off and fixing the front fork to the quick release axle. So I had a bike towing a trailer that was towing a bike. I rode around Norwich collecting cycles for repair and then towed them home. I got some funny looks - but it worked perfectly.

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Sorry to drag up an old thread of mine again, but subject has reared its head again as son has bought his own cycle speedway bike - obviously, without brakes its illegal/unsafe to ride it to the track for training, so it will need to be towed somehow on his everyday bike - would it be possible to use a trailgator without a second rider?

Leave your bike at home and ride on the one you were going to push.

If you really need the second bike, cycle home on the one you rode on the first trip, leave that at home and ride back again on the second bike.

You will then have both bikes, but not necessarily in the same place.

Alternatively.... no..... Give me a moment.

deanE

I have three bikes, my main bike has to go in for some repairs soon, which will mean riding to bike shop and busing back.

I HATE buses! They make me feel sick.

Do any of you ever tow a riderless bike, with another bike? if so, How???
Do the repair yourself, its only a bike.

Top Bottom