TP's Commuter Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Cut you put a cable end on please?

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Stripped almost completely, removed pretty much everything but the cranks and fork and gave it a scrubbing.

Peeled off all the protective tapes and mudguard Velcro.

It's still covered in marks that won't come out and scratches - this bike has lived so I don't mind, and still looks pretty from a distance.

New *white* bars, shifted over the new shifter and installed the new left as well. Old shifters in the refurb pile with the rear derailleur.

Old bar to go to my old tt set up bike.
IMG_7902.JPG

Recabled everything, loosely plugged into the new front and rear derailleur until I finalise the fit of the handlebars and shifters.

Put on the new Sciroccos.

IMG_7903.JPG

fungalcycle

re: @
RoubaixCube ~Tribanese~

I'd turn the camera off and color his teeth
Using a lethal weapon and threatening any cyclists' life is not part of vehicle tax entitlement.
The world has gotten full of those cage fascists.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
White spirit is a really good cheap degreaser

Agreed. I use white spirit. When I have degreased stuff I just pour what I have used back in an old plastic milk bottle container. This way I can re-use it over and over. All of the gunky stuff tends to settle on the bottom of the bottle and I just pour the top liquid into another container for the next clean. You gradually lose more and more of it but you just top up with clean white spirit from time to time.

Last edited:

fungalcycle

Even white spirit may harm some paint and make it dull. I always liked kerosene for washing off parts and it has never damaged anything. For small parts, like bearing pieces, if you get a can and dip them in and leave them overnight you'll be surprised how effortless cleaning can be. It also does wonders with chains too, no matter how old, beaten, and frozen they may be.

Also, if you have oil heat, use something like a coffee paper filter and strain the dirty kerosene in the oil tank. Kerosene burns the same but cleaner than heating oil and diesel.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Even white spirit may harm some paint and make it dull. I always liked kerosene for washing off parts and it has never damaged anything. For small parts, like bearing pieces, if you get a can and dip them in and leave them overnight you'll be surprised how effortless cleaning can be. It also does wonders with chains too, no matter how old, beaten, and frozen they may be.

Also, if you have oil heat, use something like a coffee paper filter and strain the dirty kerosene in the oil tank. Kerosene burns the same but cleaner than heating oil and diesel.
For our UK members 'Kerosene' is known as Paraffin over here. :becool:

Top Bottom