TP's Commuter Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I started commuting one day a week in November, two days in Dec, just started three in Jan.

I haven't seen much of it in daylight...

What the heck happened to my beautiful bike? :ohmy:

image.jpeg

This chain was new in summer:

image.jpeg

And what is the rear mech doing to my spokes?!

http://s170.photobucket.com/user/Tin_Pot/media/bike/A2F5A668-F350-4E42-B71C-6075FF5C2173.mp4.html

Where have my brakes gone?

image.jpeg

Tom B

Guru
I refer you here!

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/riding-in-the-rain-bike-maintenance.194120/

A little drop of lube every time you use..

I’m not going to criticise what you have done or failed to do there, because that won’t help. The best I can offer is Lubricate Lubricate & Lubricate the chain, gears, chain ring and all exposed (i.e not sheaved in plastic) cables on a very regular basis.

Not only does lubrication prevent rust forming, it minimises wear of moving parts by reducing friction. There is friction with each rotation of the pedals of metal to metal.

Personally, I use car gearbox oil (hypoy), and plenty of it on a very regular basis. If I was to try and blast my chain/gears with water, the water would be like it was running off a duck, but I don’t do that.

A good wipe of the chain etc with a course rag, and lube it up all over.

Note: the excessive wear on that rear brake block (3rd photo, near side, very end of b/ block) will damage the wheel rim , especially if the material holding the rubber is a hard material.

Can I ask, how old is the bike?

oldroadman

Veteran
Daily wipe over after use, chain lube (proper expensive chain lube, Hypoid 80/90 or diesel if you don't mind the smell, both work OK on a sponge or rag) daily in wet weather. Run chain over full cluster to work lube into all teeth. Replace brake pads early (not when they are worn to the base), wipe over pads and rims daily if possible to save grit getting embedded and causing excessive wear. Weekly a full proper clean with water (don't use a jet washer near bearings) and check/replace wearing parts, lube transmission, check gears and brakes for smooth and correct operation, clean/replace bar tape if you wish. A bit of polish on the frame will help keep the worst of the muck away and it will wash easier. Make sure the pedals and cleats on your shoes are clean and work properly. Less than 5 minutes daily, and no more than 30 minutes weekly, easy.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I’m not going to criticise what you have done or failed to do there, because that won’t help. The best I can offer is Lubricate Lubricate & Lubricate the chain, gears, chain ring and all exposed (i.e not sheaved in plastic) cables on a very regular basis.

Not only does lubrication prevent rust forming, it minimises wear of moving parts by reducing friction. There is friction with each rotation of the pedals of metal to metal.

Personally, I use car gearbox oil (hypoy), and plenty of it on a very regular basis. If I was to try and blast my chain/gears with water, the water would be like it was running off a duck, but I don’t do that.

A good wipe of the chain etc with a course rag, and lube it up all over.

Note: the excessive wear on that rear brake block (3rd photo, near side, very end of b/ block) will damage the wheel rim , especially if the material holding the rubber is a hard material.

Can I ask, how old is the bike?

The brake pic in the op is the front, you see I replaced the rear in August her but the front didn't need it:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/brake-pad-replacement.185903/

And also in August new chain and maintained the cassette here:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/new-chain-shifting-on-its-own.186686/#post-3879975

The bike is 2.5yrs old, only used for good weather training and triathlon, stored in garage and never outside until two months ago...

Now I have to chain it outside work, though I have a cover for bad weather, and I'm commuting 100km/day three days a week. So I'm not surprised it's a bit fecked, I just haven't examined it in daylight recently with all my tube/tyre troubles!

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
I've not had much luck with the rear mech.

On biggest sprocket it was banging a spoke once per revolution, as per video. And it wasn't changing up to the smallest sprocket.

I'd been having shifting issues, so I was planning on indexing anyway. So I did the same process I did in August:
Update:

Well I'm not sure but it seems to be fixed.

These were the steps:

1. Release rear dérailleur cable
2. In top gear adjust the top limiter screw
3. Click down shifter all the way. Reattach the dérailleur cable
4. In bottom gear adjust the bottom limiter screw
5. Check shifting, check jockey wheel aligned in top, middle and bottom gears adjusting the cable tensioner

This has resolved the spoke banging, but it's not shifting to the biggest sprocket at all. I've tried adjusting the tension six or seven times and the best I can get is to the second largest sprocket.

The limiters seem to have no effect at the biggest sprocket, but loosening the top allowed changing to the smallest again.

My concern is that something has been damaged to cause this - why else would the rear mech be touching spokes?

image.jpeg

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I started commuting one day a week in November, two days in Dec, just started three in Jan.

Sorry i dont have anything to add. But with regards to your rather 'spotty' commuting days would not be possible to commute via bicycle more? Im saying this because after discovering I could do it, I hate the thought of getting on public transport unless I cant help it with the rest of the populace who are passing coughs and colds around like the plague in a confined space. (no offence to the rest of the populace of course - But I dont want to get infected by your germs :tongue:) Commuting with other cyclists and road users is also somewhat calming for the soul when there is no bell end trying to run you off the road or tailgating you. Just blank out the folks in steel cages. The only time they'll want to converse with you is either when theyve knocked you off your bike (God forbid) or when they think you have no right to be on the road because you dont pay road tax.

The only time i wont commute is when Its completely pissing down with rain or when its blowing a gale. otherwise I will never take public transport.

Top Bottom