1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TP's Commuter Maintenance

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Tin Pot, 10 Jan 2016.

1. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

I can see why someone would say that, but it's just a freaking sliver of rubber. There's no magic here.

2. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Do these look like theyd cause a slow puncture?

Couldn't feel anything on the inside surface.

This one is a stone, not a particularly sharp once I'd dug it out.
    image.jpeg

Two holes that don't seem to go through the gator "magic" layer.

image.jpeg

3. The two holes are meant to be there, they're wear marker when they disappear the tyres are worn out.

Tin Pot and Pat "5mph" like this.
  4. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Wow. You live and learn!

HLaB likes this.
  5. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

:okay:

Sniggers more !!! :tongue::bicycle:

Pat "5mph" and Tin Pot like this.
  6. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Do I detect a note of humour at my naïveté?

<raises one eyebrow>

7. themosquitoking

themosquitoking Veteran

Brakes, helmets (careful now), gloves and glasses. The areas it really doesn't pay to not buy quality items.

8. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Über Member

Referring to (rim) brake pads @Tin Pot said:

There is magic in them there hills. That's why you can buy extremely effective pads for the variety of surfaces rims come in and some cost considerable amounts of money; which people pay, with cheap padss at the other end of the cost spectrum. Performance: power, noise, wear life and modulation; can vary significantly between different pad compounds. And with many different compounds, marketing to keep brakers 'happy'.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2016
  9. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Hmm. Well I'm unconvinced but I'll look into it. I've got the lifeline ones and more Fibrax science inbound, maybe I'll run one front and one back to compare.

10. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Über Member

I saw the image, thought that, but thought I'd just first go and check (my previous Gatorskins certainly did, but these are GP 4 Seasons). Rather worryingly I couldn't find any; so are my tyres ready for replacement - I don't think so. Mercifully the Conti web page on TWI has the reassurance.

Tyres featuring the TWI :

GP4000SII, GP4000S, GP4000, GP Attack/Force, GPTT, Grand Prix, Grand Prix GT, GP 4Season, Gator Hardshell, Gatorskin, Grand Prix Classic.
    As this is a phase-in feature, some customers may find that they have identical tyres without this feature. This is no cause for concern.
    - See more at: http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/twi.shtml#sthash.3UJJM2le.dpuf

HLaB and raleighnut like this.
  11. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It! Staff Member

:tongue:

12. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Cleaned and oiled the brake calipers.

Fitted new pads at the back, fitted new shoes and pads at the front. :smile:

Had to do a little adjustment to avoid toe in.

Chain and cassette looks ok now, no rust showing. :smile:

Pat "5mph" likes this.
  13. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: 14 Jan 2016
  14. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

You only cleaned the cassette and the chain?? The rest of the bike is filthy!
    I could not manage this even if I tried :laugh:

raleighnut and Tin Pot like this.
  15. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Fitted yet another new tube last night in the car park.

Was nice to have a motorist stop, offer help and chat about bikes with me while I struggled to get the tyre off.

And another offer me bike stuff from the back of her car. :smile:

<edit>
    @Pat "5mph" I do have to work as well you know? I rubbed an oily rag over the frame and scrubbed the calipers. It'll be covered in shh it tomorrow morning again anyway. And it was feckin freezing out there!

Last edited: 14 Jan 2016
    Pat "5mph" likes this.