TP's Commuter Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Do these look like theyd cause a slow puncture?

Couldn't feel anything on the inside surface.

This one is a stone, not a particularly sharp once I'd dug it out.
image.jpeg

Two holes that don't seem to go through the gator "magic" layer.

image.jpeg

The two holes are meant to be there, they're wear marker when they disappear the tyres are worn out.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Referring to (rim) brake pads @Tin Pot said:

it's just a freaking sliver of rubber. There's no magic here

There is magic in them there hills. That's why you can buy extremely effective pads for the variety of surfaces rims come in and some cost considerable amounts of money; which people pay, with cheap padss at the other end of the cost spectrum. Performance: power, noise, wear life and modulation; can vary significantly between different pad compounds. And with many different compounds, marketing to keep brakers 'happy'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
referring to (rim) brake pads @Tin Pot said:

There is magic in them there hills. That's why you can buy extremely effective pads for the variety of surfaces rims come in and some cost considerable amounts of money; which people pay, with cheap padss at the other end of the cost spectrum. Performance: power, noise, wear life and modulation; can vary significantly between different pad compounds. And with many different compounds, marketing to keep brakers 'happy'.

Hmm. Well I'm unconvinced but I'll look into it. I've got the lifeline ones and more Fibrax science inbound, maybe I'll run one front and one back to compare.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The two holes are meant to be there, they're wear marker when they disappear the tyres are worn out.

I saw the image, thought that, but thought I'd just first go and check (my previous Gatorskins certainly did, but these are GP 4 Seasons). Rather worryingly I couldn't find any; so are my tyres ready for replacement - I don't think so. Mercifully the Conti web page on TWI has the reassurance.

Tyres featuring the TWI :

GP4000SII, GP4000S, GP4000, GP Attack/Force, GPTT, Grand Prix, Grand Prix GT, GP 4Season, Gator Hardshell, Gatorskin, Grand Prix Classic.
As this is a phase-in feature, some customers may find that they have identical tyres without this feature. This is no cause for concern.
- See more at: http://www.conti-tyres.co.uk/conticycle/twi.shtml#sthash.3UJJM2le.dpuf

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Cleaned and oiled the brake calipers.

Fitted new pads at the back, fitted new shoes and pads at the front. :smile:

Had to do a little adjustment to avoid toe in.

Chain and cassette looks ok now, no rust showing. :smile:

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Fitted yet another new tube last night in the car park.

Was nice to have a motorist stop, offer help and chat about bikes with me while I struggled to get the tyre off.

And another offer me bike stuff from the back of her car. :smile:

<edit>
@Pat "5mph" I do have to work as well you know? I rubbed an oily rag over the frame and scrubbed the calipers. It'll be covered in shh it tomorrow morning again anyway. And it was feckin freezing out there!

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Worth applying 5cm (clear) frame protector tape to each fork/seat stay to reduce the slow abrasion to the paintwork.
You may have done this but I can't see this in the images. If you don't the sand and grit will slowly disfigure the paint where the mudguards are fixed (given you haven't got eyes on that frame).

Your wheels must really run true to be able to have the pads so tight on the rim.

Top Bottom