TP's Commuter Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Tyres - do I need to do anything with these?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Milkfloat

An Peanut

Personally I would replace them.

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Removed and cleaned up the jockey wheels - just because it looked like it needed doing and has never been done before:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

After:
image.jpeg

It's worth checking where the top jockey wheel goes before reassembling. As you pull the loose derailleur down to fit it back together thats the alignment for too and bottom (when loose the bottom jockey rises back and above, so it's not immediately obvious).

There's a lot of the the same gunk in the chain, but I didn't want to degrease the chain so this may be a bit of a waste of time for me :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Removed and cleaned up the jockey wheels - just because it looked like it needed doing and has never been done before:

View attachment 123648 View attachment 123649

After:
View attachment 123650

It's worth checking where the top jockey wheel goes before reassembling. As you pull the loose derailleur down to fit it back together thats the alignment for too and bottom (when loose the bottom jockey rises back and above, so it's not immediately obvious).

There's a lot of the the same gunk in the chain, but I didn't want to degrease the chain so this may be a bit of a waste of time for me :smile:
At least they label the lower pulley so you don't put them back together the wrong way round. DAMHIKT

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Tin Pot if @ianrauk see this thread he will have a fit :laugh:
Actually I am a bit miffed too: if I had the cycling skills to deserve Campagnolo I would never stop cleaning the bike.
Actually, probably I would never ride it for fear of dirtying it! ^_^

jim55

Guru
White spirit is a really good cheap degreaser

jim55

Guru
Short of buying a new chain ( which in this case I would ) , get an empty plastic bottle ( big bottle of coke or something ) once it's empty put in a good bit of white spirit , insert dirty chain ( put lid on bottle obv ) and a good steep/shake , refit. And lube once it's looking ok , this will dissolve every bit of grease/ gunk on it , so lube it well and make sure it's bone dry before u relube

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Short of buying a new chain ( which in this case I would ) , get an empty plastic bottle ( big bottle of coke or something ) once it's empty put in a good bit of white spirit , insert dirty chain ( put lid on bottle obv ) and a good steep/shake , refit. And lube once it's looking ok , this will dissolve every bit of grease/ gunk on it , so lube it well and make sure it's bone dry before u relube

I sorted the chain out months ago!

OP
OP
Tin Pot

Tin Pot

Guru
Not had much to do over summer but it's turned to crap again in the poor weather :smile:

Plus the right shifter failed on the turbo.

So time to get my act together again:

IMG_7580.JPG
IMG_7581.JPG
IMG_7582.JPG
IMG_7583.JPG

So step one: clean this mother up!

Degreaser, soapy water, rags, brushes and lots and lots of scrubbing and it's started to show some beauty again.

Step two: recable front brake and rear derailleur.
Quite a lot fiddly getting the cable outlets to the right length and taping them in place in taping and recutting, threading ...its a bit of a pain.

Step three: fit new shifter.

Not so bad once you understand the screw mechanism that tightens the bracket to hold the shifter in place. Just need a torque 25 bit and thumb strength to fold the rubber out of the way of the screw.

Step four: replace bar tape.

Done this three times now so pretty easy.

3hrs of fettling and then it got too cold and dark!

Top Bottom