Tracer trike Conversion from fixed to 6 gear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Aye - I saw that and amended my post, obviously after you'd read it but before you quoted it! Just hope you find the right trike, as they are good fun. I often use ours for shopping, but hills I find easy on a bike become a bit more challenging on a trike with 20 kg of groceries on board.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Aye - I saw that and amended my post, obviously after you'd read it but before you quoted it! Just hope you find the right trike, as they are good fun. I often use ours for shopping, but hills I find easy on a bike become a bit more challenging on a trike with 20 kg of groceries on board.
That's why you need an electric front wheel drive kit, well I do :cycle: :becool:

Ajax Bay

Guru
a trike on my short list, my spec being, must fit in my Citroen Picasso C3 folded & leave room for at least 3 passengers, under £400, at least 6 gears, if new, supplier must be in the disability vat refund scheme.
my new Pashley TR1
So did you get the Pashley at a remarkable price or did you need to 'trade' a key requirement (<£400) in your stated specification? Or did you get secondhand (abandoning another specification)?

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Don't know why you have to be sarcastic, some posts from others have already been deleted by moderators, which does no good whatsoever to others who want to read all the thread. I don't know why I'm answering this question, but just for you, I paid 18.75% over my original estimate. The best price new I could find was with Mission at £715, so mine was not new, but had a supposedly expensive saddle as an extra.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You have a massively over sensitive sarcasm assumption threshold. Really no need to threaten me with 'I can get your post deleted by the mods' line.
Perhaps you'd like to review all the constructive suggestions I've made to you when others have given up on you. And I think the points I offered for consideration in the 5 earlier pages of this thread helped you realise that your aspiration to retrofit gears to the Tracker was a challenge too far.
Upthread you had discarded other posters various suggestions on the basis that they did not meet your explicitly stated specification, and given the vast experience you have (shared with copious photos upthread), I was interested to hear if you'd had to diverge from those specifications and why. You seemed to be the sort of person who likes to set specifications and adhere to them. You said the bike had to be available on the disability vat refund scheme.
Enjoy your new ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

You have a massively over sensitive sarcasm assumption threshold. Really no need to threaten me with 'I can get your post deleted by the mods' line.
Perhaps you'd like to review all the constructive suggestions I've made to you when others have given up on you. And I think the points I offered for consideration in the 5 earlier pages of this thread helped you realise that your aspiration to retrofit gears to the Tracker was a challenge too far.
Upthread you had discarded other posters various suggestions on the basis that they did not meet your explicitly stated specification, and given the vast experience you have (shared with copious photos upthread), I was interested to hear if you'd had to diverge from those specifications and why. You seemd to be the sort of person who likes to set specifications and adhere to them. You said the bike had to be available on the disability vat refund scheme.
Enjoy your new ride.
Precisely, you are so inconsistent, hope we don't meet again.:boxing:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I would have thought that you'd appreciate someone with the same levels of perceived consistency and precision as yourself. I will leave other contributors to judge the levels of sarcasm, consistency and judgement we have individually demonstrated.

The Picador in my picture has a solid axle driving both wheels, my new Pashley TR1 has a split axle driving only one wheel & I'm happy with the 7 speed derailleur fitted as standard.:bicycle:

The Pashley Picador is one wheel drive. British and eastern trikes are mostly one wheel drive. In Europe where people are happy to spend more on their tricycles they're often equipped with differentials. No one, to my knowledge, makes a two wheel drive trike without a diff. Just sayin.

I can't find the item I got the Picador picture from, maybe my memory failed me, haven't time to look now but I will. I did exchange emails with an Australian company whose back end I thought would solve my Tracer gearing. If you check out their assembly video between 17 & 18 minutes in, their trike drives both rear wheels, or appears to.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq2SkJR0IQI

Picadors are one wheel drive. I'm not suggesting that this 'might be' the case. I'm not guessing. I'm telling you as a matter of fact. I'm very knowledgeable on the subject of tricycle drive trains.

Pashley have a trike in prototype which uses a separate freewheel on each rear wheel. Which is dopey.

But Picadors, they're one wheel drive.

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Picadors are one wheel drive. I'm not suggesting that this might me the case. I'm not guessing. I'm telling you as a matter of fact. I'm very knowledgeable on the subject of tricycle drive trains.

Pashley have a trike in prototype which uses a separate freewheel on each rear wheel. Which is dopey.

But Picadors, they're one wheel drive.

Just out of curiosity as I last rode a trike in the 70's, but does two freewheels on that Pashley prototype mean that both left and right cranks have a chainwheel?

Shaun

Top Bottom