track pump recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
please can someone recommend a track pump that goes that goes upto atleast 145psi.

i have been advised to keep my tyre pressure at the max allowed.

145psi is the max my tyres go.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I have a Joe Blow Sport II which works very nicely. The manufacturers claim 160psi so I assume that it does but I can't confirm that personally - I'm happy with 70psi in my cyclocross tyres.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/JoeBlowSport

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Using your tyres at 140psi on the road is nuts! You would only want to use that on smooth surfaces like a velodrome.

You don't have to keep your tyres at the maximum pressure, just between the min and the max. Normally people use 100 for the front and something between 110 -120 on the rear for skinny road tyres.

Ouch, I wouldn't like to be your teeth etc, 145psi will make the ride unbearable especially wit the condition of the roads I've ridden on. I find around the 100psi rear, 90psi works for a rider of my size (5ft 9, 9stone 8 btw).

On the track pump front my Ed Co Op one easily takes my tyres up to pressure and I like the fact the guage is at the top of the barrel rather than the base. I've never used the aforementioned Joe Blow but it is consistently recommended.

+1 for what is being said about pressures, 100/120 psi does me, and i'm a big lad.
I've used one of Decathlons track pumps for around 4 years now and it's been superb, I can't remember what it cost, but it was cheaper thanthe branded ones and I can't see how they could possibly be any better :smile:

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
the min is 100psi and the max is 145 psi .

the LBS said to keep it at the max pressure, reading the posts i getting the impression this is wrong and 120psi would be best/amble enough for the roads.

i do tend to feel every lumb and bump on the roads which are not in good condition.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
the min is 100psi and the max is 145 psi .

the LBS said to keep it at the max pressure, reading the posts i getting the impression this is wrong and 120psi would be best/amble enough for the roads.

i do tend to feel every lumb and bump on the roads which are not in good condition.

My tyres have the same pressure range. I run them at 120psi and I feel every bump on every bump on every bit of tarmac. Also my BBB Trackpump won't push anymore air into the tubes :laugh:. At 145psi I think I would lose fillings.

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
thank you all for the advice given.

i got the joe blow sport 2.

when i checked the tyre pressures today for the first time since i got the bike, which stated 50psi but i know that some of the air goes into the pump tube when connected.

i pumped to just past 130 psi and and then lifted the bike and span the wheel and it didn't spin freely, so i loosed the brakes since it is just a lever and then pan it again and same thing. i noticed it was rubbing on the under side of the frame bit just behind the brakes.

so i started again connected the pump and then put about 120 psi in and then same thing not as bad but still happened.

so now i have just above the min setting stated on the tyre, just over 100psi and i spins freely now.

one thing that i did notice especially at 120psi is that the tyre would rub the frame area and then move away by about 1-2mm and then rub again and so on, is this right.

great advice from my LBS then keep at 145psi and if i did that the back tyre would move round at all.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

when i check the tyre pressures today for the first time since i got the bike, which stated 50psi but i know that some of the air goes into the pump tube when connected.

i pumped to just past 130 psi and and then lifted the bike and span the wheel and it didn't spin freely, so i loosed the brakes since it is just a lever and then pan it again and same thing. i noticed it was rubbing on the under side of the frame bit just behind the brakes.

so i started again connected the pump and then put about 120 psi in and then same thing not as bad but still happened.

so now i have just above the min setting stated on the tyre, just over 100psi and i spins freely now.

one thing that i did notice especially at 120psi is that the tyre would rub the frame area and then move away by about 1-2mm and then rub again and so on, is this right.

That sounds like the wheel is not true.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian

when i checked the tyre pressures today for the first time since i got the bike, which stated 50psi but i know that some of the air goes into the pump tube when connected.

great advice from my LBS then keep at 145psi and if i did that the back tyre would move round at all.

If the wheels won't move at max pressure then there is a problem Either the wrong size tyres fitted to the rims of the wrong size of rims (wheels) for the bike. IMHO anyway.

That sounds like the wheel is not true.

That'd be my first guess too or the wheel axle isn't square in the dropouts. A quick fix for the latter is to open the quick release pull the brake lever and whilst holding it close the quick release.
If its neither of these it sounds like the wrong set up on the bike.
If its anything other than the axle not being square get the lbs from where you purchased the bike to fix it for free.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
That'd be my first guess too or the wheel axle isn't square in the dropouts. A quick fix for the latter is to open the quick release pull the brake lever and whilst holding it close the quick release.
If its neither of these it sounds like the wrong set up on the bike.
If its anything other than the axle not being square get the lbs from where you purchased the bike to fix it for free.

Oh course forgot to mention the QR solution ('cos I forgot when I typed the response this morning :blush:)

Top Bottom