Traffic levels back up - well, it was nice whilst it lasted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Legendary Member
We've had an email survey asking us how we're coping with working from home, good points, bad points, what part of the job we can't do etc. My suspicion (hope!) is that we never go back to the office. It's saved me a very long commute and lots of early mornings.

Traffic levels aren't back up to where they were round here, but are edging up. I'd say around 60% of the old norm. Getting harder to cross the road when walking the dog.

BigMeatball

We've had an email survey asking us how we're coping with working from home, good points, bad points, what part of the job we can't do etc. My suspicion (hope!) is that we never go back to the office. It's saved me a very long commute and lots of early mornings.

Same here. Rumours at the company I'm working at is the office will stay completely closed until at least October, and then it will just be used as a meetings/workshops hub at the start of projects. Working from home will be the standard.

If my partner's work does the same, we can finally get the hell out of the city and move away from all the annoying people and cars.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Same here. Rumours at the company I'm working at is the office will stay completely closed until at least October, and then it will just be used as a meetings/workshops hub at the start of projects. Working from home will be the standard.

If my partner's work does the same, we can finally get the hell out of the city and move away from all the annoying people and cars.

We're probably out until September, and then a mix of office and WFH. Finally my line manager might actually let us do it - even if only a Friday when all gets sorted. Mrs F's contract comes to an end in August, so finding a job might be tricky. She's just gone back to work after 6 weeks furlough - the other half of the company are going off on furlough now.

lane

Veteran
Don't think I will be allowed to continue working at home. So will just look forward to retirement - will be like working at home but won't have to do the working bit.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I don't know how it is in the UK, but in Australia, the traffic is going to get a lot worse, because many people who might choose public transport over driving will now choose the latter, and so the number of single-person motor vehicles will increase, as will the pollution, the noise, the road toll, ... :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
Everyone appears to have gone to Matlock, in Derbyshire, on a motorbike.
And that's caused the dibble a headache. According to the letter of the emergency regs, people in - or in this case on - different vehicles are not associating with one another, and are therefore not part of a group from different households. The only hope they have is that they're on a non essential journey and they can finger them for that instead, but that's like trying to swat individual flies in a swarm. The piffling fixed penalty is clearly no deterrent - a £1000 ticket might make them sit back and take notice, but 60 reduced to 30 (or now 100 reduced to 50) clearly isn't making them think twice.

lane

Veteran
I thought police didn't have powers to enforce the 2m social distancing because it isn't law. Not least because the government don't want to stop people going to work on crowded public transport or workplaces to have the inconvenience of social distancing. Is the concept of a non essential journey still a thing, once Boris said you can go as far as you want to exercise? Could claim a short walk round the delights of Matlock Bath as justification for the journey I would have thought. Quite possibly they are doing nothing wrong in the eyes of the law.

DSK

Trouble is the message was not clear but, if you read between the lines we are still in lock down with the exception of being able to get out more and some more workers getting back o work where WFH is not an option. The common sense bit, about individuals being responsible is down to us and sadly there's a lot who will ruin it.

Our company has approx 2000 employees. Whilst a small number were furloughed, they have been brought back. We have no intentions to get back to the office, with more staff voting from WFH be it, 1/2 days a week or 5 days a week. Our business has remained stable and shown some growth. We, as a company have proven we can be effective from home. We are looking at a more robust WFH solution, from a tech perspective so, perhaps in due course, with other companies having a similar approach, may be, traffic levels may not reach the peaks they were but, no doubt the roads will become busier as we progress through this.

Top Bottom