Trail running shoes or Hiking boots?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doseone

Guru
My old Karrimor hiking boots are dying - they are at least 23 years old, possibly more and have served me well in some far flung places. I shall be sorry to see them in the bin.

So I have started to look for a replacement. I was wondering whether a robust trail running shoe would do the job. Do I really need a heavy hiking boot? Most of the walking I do would be local day hikes (specifically Brecon Beacons and surrounds), small light pack. There's part of me that says if you're hiking then you need a hiking boot, but I can't argue with the logic of some of my friends who run mountain marathons of 40 - 50 miles over the same terrain that I would be hiking on and they do it Trail running shoes!

slowwww

Veteran
I've had a pair of Gore-tex North Face trainers with a chunky sole for about 6 years and use them most of my walking. Still have to be a bit careful about standing water as anything over a couple of inches will wash over the sides, but wet grass and the like is no problem, and after a longish walk I appreciate their greater flexibility and lighter weight.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I favour a low cut boot. Merrell goretex being my prefered choice.

They are more casual, you dont look like a member of the local ramblers association and pubs / cafes dont frown at you thinking you have big muddy boots on.

If you do buy new boots be aware that Karrimor isnt the brand it used to be. Its now owned by Sports Direct, so I doubt a new pair would give you the same length of service.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Modern light boots are the way to go! (though I like the process of dubbinning my boots, so I have an old-fashioned pair too)

OP
OP
Doseone

Doseone

Guru
Thanks.

Logic suggests that a lightweight hiking boot should do what I want, but I am very tempted to take a risk and go with a robust trail running shoe together with a sealskinz waterproof sock.

Hicky

Guru
Lightweight hiking boot(make doesnt matter but the fit DOES), nonlined....and buy waterproof oversocks(sealskin etc), much more versatile than goretex on a hot summers day.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Thanks.

Logic suggests that a lightweight hiking boot should do what I want, but I am very tempted to take a risk and go with a robust trail running shoe together with a sealskinz waterproof sock.

I use lightweight boots with sealskinz, just as well because the boots leak like buggery, must buy new ones.

Top Bottom