Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Forgot!!
(Saturday)
They had to ring again because they couldn't unhitch
Despite f-in-law having had caravans & watching me everytime I unhitch, they couldn't separate the 2............
It seems that, on suggesting things to them, that they'd not lifted the handle to disengage the 'lock'/'wedge' that keeps hitch on the ball

Plus..........
(this morning)
I had a call, as they couldn't plus the 13-pin plug in
It had done the 'twist-trick' to a certain extent, where nothing aligns
I didn't tell them that I have the (little green) alignment tool, but it was in my Kodiaq:whistle:
(I put it in the 'van, when I met them at the storage yard)

They didn't want to manoeuvre it, but it would have been very awkward from where she pulled up, so it was motor-mover............... which to my eyes seemed a lot longer way of doing it
I won't make any comments, I will be the first time caravaner on 8th July, atleast I don't need a motor mover on 450kg van, will need to practice my trailer reversing.

DRHysted

Guru
Plus..........
(this morning)
I had a call, as they couldn't plus the 13-pin plug in
It had done the 'twist-trick' to a certain extent, where nothing aligns
I didn't tell them that I have the (little green) alignment tool, but it was in my Kodiaq:whistle:
(I put it in the 'van, when I met them at the storage yard)
I’ve been lucky so far with the plug, however I do always store the cable in the green fitting.

Last edited:

GilesM

Legendary Member
I always try to leave dangling free, but under the fabric hitch-cover, then it's normally is fine
However f-in-l invariably inserts it into the storage hole on a-frame moulding, presumably twisting it to do so?

This is interesting; https://caravanchronicles.com/guides/the-13-pin-plug-puzzle/

Have been looking at different sites for useful caravan stuff, didn't expect to find anything here, but that's very helpful, and I now know about Caravan Chronicles. Thanks

I’ve been lucky so far with the plug, however I do always store the cable in the green fitting.
When we bought it, from ‘Wandahome’, the salesman couldn’t engage it into the ('7 - 13') adapter that l used, so had to ‘little green tool’ it into position
That was because we got it before the tow-bar was fitted to my Kodiaq, & a friend let me use his Defender 90 to bring it home (which is on 7-pin electrics)

Last edited:
To keep at the recommended 85% of tow vehicles kerb weight you need a vehicle with a kerb weight of 2341 kg, surely at £2 per liter these days for diesel the market for such a thing is going to become very limited, always makes me chuckle when manufacturers say a model can tow 3500 kg, Land Rover made the claim of 4000kg, but with the caveat of having air or an electric brake system on the trailer, and you were to set off in low range to get the whole lot moving, the current test iirc is the ability to move off on a slope, with no regard for the state of the clutch, or auto box and it’s atf afterwards
I looked briefly at 4000kg running, & the braking requirements for that, & that a ring-hitch is needed (also dealt with)
If you were to start in low-range, due to terrain, on a Defencer, it will run to circa 45MPH, in 5th, at about 4000RPM
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/trailers-bwsows.273070/page-5#post-6475354

I used to see air-braked 90s, at Pontefract Racecourse; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/trailers-bwsows.273070/page-6#post-6482404

DRM

Guru
I looked briefly at 4000kg running, & the braking requirements for that, & that a ring-hitch is needed (also dealt with)
If you were to start in low-range, due to terrain, on a Defencer, it will run to circa 45MPH, in 5th, at about 4000RPM
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/trailers-bwsows.273070/page-5#post-6475354

I used to see air-braked 90s, at Pontefract Racecourse; https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/trailers-bwsows.273070/page-6#post-6482404

I’d forgot about the ring hitch, but Land Rover did produce a manual that explained the correct technique to change from low to high range on the move, and the requirements for towing heavy loads

DRM

Guru
I believe the 'low to high' transfer is covered in the Sheppard book, I'll look later

Yes it is, that’s were I saw/read it, a very good book for all things to do with the use of 4x4 vehicles

I’d forgot about the ring hitch, but Land Rover did produce a manual that explained the correct technique to change from low to high range on the move, and the requirements for towing heavy loads

The page in question
Presumably it will work for other manufacturers that use a manually changed high/low transfer box?

219051B2-2B9D-480C-8F7E-DF2DD2EFDE91.jpeg

And the overlaps

65504623-AA52-43FE-94D8-F9512E21FE8C.jpeg

I sold my campervan which I'd owned for 14 years in the spring.

Best decision I've ever made. I thought I'd really miss it, but the extra time/hassle of driving anywhere interesting spoils it now.

I've bought an £850 Vauxhall Agila. 70,000 miles, a bit rubbish but enough space for me, Mrs667, our dog and camping stuff.

Of course, I'm a cyclist and most of my transport is by bike these days. But it's nice to have the option of a car.

Need a towbar for it though. I had one a few years ago and it was surprisingly good at towing.

Surely it ought to be Brogues??
Then again, Tom Sheppard was such a dapper chap!
Coincidentally, I was watching an old episode of a series from 2014, called 'For The Love Of Cars', presented by Philip Glenister (spelling?? - the Life On Mars, Quattro driver)
Tom Sheppard was in a segment with him, at Honister Slate Quarry, & lots of old photographs of him in Libya, etc... were shown

Top Bottom