Trailers & 'BWSOW's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GilesM

Legendary Member
A few pics from Achmelvich shore campsite, amazing site right on the beach.
DSCN2557.JPG

DSCN3944.JPG

DSCN2564.JPG

We had it there about 13:15, & set up
Well, not quite, it's fine fore & aft, but need to have a mess around next weekend to level it laterally
Saturday 1st

Father-in-law & I went up late morning
Levelling a BWSOW laterally, with due regard to need to fit the hub mounted wheel-lock is like 4-dimensional chess!

1. Get the correct position for the lock, & it’s not level
2. Position correctly for lateral level, & the lock is nowhere near!
3. The motor-mover works on both wheels, but tries to swivel the ‘van, as it climbs the ramp
4. It seems okay, then the motor-mover is swung off the tyres, & the handbrake set, it settles............. start again at #1 :cursing:

Solution;
- Hitch up to the car, as a solid brake point
- Release BWSOW handbrake
- Jack up the offending side
- Rotate the wheel to correct location for the lock
- Lower corner-steadies
- Recheck with spirit-level, on 'van floor

Job Done!
Eventually...........

IMG_6321.jpeg

IMG_6323.jpeg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Saturday 1st

Father-in-law & I went up late morning
Levelling a BWSOW laterally, with due regard to need to fit the hub mounted wheel-lock is like 4-dimensional chess!

1. Get the correct position for the lock, & it’s not level
2. Position correctly for lateral level, & the lock is nowhere near!
3. The motor-mover works on both wheels, but tries to swivel the ‘van, as it climbs the ramp
4. It seems okay, then the motor-mover is swung off the tyres, & the handbrake set, it settles............. start again at #1 :cursing:

Solution;
- Hitch up to the car, as a solid brake point
- Release BWSOW handbrake
- Jack up the offending side
- Rotate the wheel to correct location for the lock
- Lower corner-steadies
- Recheck with spirit-level, on 'van floor

Job Done!
Eventually...........

View attachment 697074

Our buy a static!🤣🤣🤣

Saturday 8th

Just a little job, that I actually meant to do after the last time I used the trailer

The 'over-centre' latches have R-clips through them to prevent an unintended opening of the tailgate
Last time, instead of putting it in a pocket, or in car, I dropped one on the floor, into a muddy puddle, & had to feel for it, thankfully finding it

IMG_6377.jpeg

So, I decided to chain them on
I had intended using bath-plug chain, but couldn't find any locally (not even at B&Q, or Wickes, just the ball-chain type)
Hence my trip to Wickes, in the rain, this morning, for the lightest duty chain they had

I also wanted some 'double ring R-clips', to avoid the zip-ties, but can't find any
I can get them online, but only need 2, so not buying a bag of 100, just for that
IMG_6376.jpeg

EDIT @ 18:56
When I asked one of the staff in B&Q, if they had any 'R-clips', he told me no, but then mentioned that in his previous engineering job, they called them 'pregnant women clips', due to the shape

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
I've
Saturday 8th

Just a little job, that I actually meant to do after the last time I used the trailer

The 'over-centre' latches have R-clips through them to prevent an unintended opening of the tailgate
Last time, instead of putting it in a pocket, or in car, I dropped one on the floor, into a muddy puddle, & had to feel for it, thankfully finding it

View attachment 698021

So, I decided to chain them on
I had intended using bath-plug chain, but couldn't find any locally (not even at B&Q, or Wickes, just the ball-chain type)
Hence my trip to Wickes, in the rain, this morning, for the lightest duty chain they had

I also wanted some 'double ring R-clips', to avoid the zip-ties, but can't find any
I can get them online, but only need 2, so not buying a bag of 100, just for that
View attachment 698020

I've got some large fishing connectors if any good?

Screwfix and toolstation sell plugs with a chain...... may or may not be more expensive and you'll have spare plugs you'll never need :laugh:
All I've seen are the 'ball-chain' type, in both (paper) catalogues

I've

I've got some large fishing connectors if any good?
They'd have to big! ^_^
Without going out to measure the 'over-centre catches', I put them at about 1 & 1/2 inch deep

EDIT @ 21:14
I had a look in my Indespension catalogue, they have 'double-coil', but when checking the price online, they only have 5mm varients, & at a silly price each; https://indespension.co.uk/trailer-...accessories/trailer-fittings-hardware/r-clips

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

I have the answer.......... If you have some plain-gauge stainless steel spokes it is possible to make your own double coil R clips.
I wanted some of these for the over-centre clips on my folding caravan.
https://protex.com/1167-7SS-retaining-pin-stainless-steel-natural
A couple of hours later I had made 6 which have enough 'spring' in them despite not being sprung steel. Ok they aren't all perfectly the same length, but they work, and nobody is likely to compare them to each other (not unless they're me)

DRM

Guru
Looks like a photo shop job to me, those old Adria's were excellent value for money, my mum & dad had one like that, without the pool though!

Sunday 30th

Nipped over to ‘Wandahome’ after work (by FerryBridge Services, where the ‘old’ A1 & M62 intersect)

This was inside
All that space, & it has a fixed bed (side -side) taking up room
It can’t be seen in this photograph, but there’s a ‘vanity light’ on the a-frame fairing that illuminates the front panel!!!
Is it an attempt to emulate the ‘tall-fin lights’ on passenger aircraft that illuminate the airlines logo?
IMG_6871.jpeg

Hmm…. 4x4 caravans!!!
IMG_6870.jpeg

IMG_6872.jpeg

Top Bottom