Train Prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Over here, when truly old people refer to the Big Four, they mean the C.C.C and StL,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland,_Cincinnati,_Chicago_and_St._Louis_Railway
a forerunner of the western districts of the New York Central System. This folded into Penn Central, folded into ConRail, divided by Norfolk/Southern and CSX, the two major freight railways east of the Mississippi River.
I find railroad history fascinating, full of coincidences and interrelationships. Although most of what I know of British Railways comes from C. Hamilton Ellis' books on the subject.
Try Ian Allen, bookwise.
CAM00749-1.jpg

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Not much access over here, never seen those . At 12 shillings sixpence sounds a bargain.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
By the way, I think on off peak days like Wednesdays, the fare to Chicago, 150 Miles, a little over 2 hours run time, is about $14 USD, and a round trip is $21 USD.
New Siemens locomotives may trim that time down a bit.

snorri

Legendary Member
I've never done much planning for tours or holidays unless there is a rail journey included. Time spent researching online websites to find a fare considerably lower than the initial quote is never wasted.
I was quoted £82 for a trip to Liverpool next week, but by travelling over a different route and splitting the journey I have obtained a ticket for £35 with little difference in journey time or convenience.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Wednesday is a good day. Off peak fares, museums are free, less crowding. And you can get the interurban South Shore Line out to Indiana Dunes and have a nice quiet getaway, like going to the seashore, even if it's Lake Michigan. Still pretty vast.

classic33

Leg End Member
By the way, I think on off peak days like Wednesdays, the fare to Chicago, 150 Miles, a little over 2 hours run time, is about $14 USD, and a round trip is $21 USD.
New Siemens locomotives may trim that time down a bit.
It's taken me that long to get to Leeds, by train, less than 20 miles away.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
It's taken me that long to get to Leeds, by train, less than 20 miles away.
Times aren't guaranteed, you may get a freight train out ahead of you, or a mechanical failure, but I have a pretty good idea when Amtrak runs past, and they are pretty reliable. Our freight road is Union Pacific, and they mostly run double stack container trains from their big yard near Joliet/Plainfield, and those trains run pretty fast as well.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I've never done much planning for tours or holidays unless there is a rail journey included. Time spent researching online websites to find a fare considerably lower than the initial quote is never wasted.
I was quoted £82 for a trip to Liverpool next week, but by travelling over a different route and splitting the journey I have obtained a ticket for £35 with little difference in journey time or convenience.
I find splitting on travel to and from tours can really bring down the price. A common one for me is a through ticket to Oban/Ft William from Whitehaven cost a lot more than buying two tickets, one to Glasgow Central and one from Glasgow Queen St. It's the same trains, but I saved £70 on that split once.

One rule that is helpful I've found, is that if you buy two split ticket singles in the same transaction, the Conditions of Carriage still apply so if the first train is delayed and you miss the connection, they are required to get you to the end of your ticket as if it was a single through ticket. I did that coming back from Fort William in April, and although it was a faff (apparently ScotRail weren't allowed to amend your booking on a Virgin train!), it did work :smile:

Top Bottom