Train Prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
That's interesting, but it's not really much in the way of evidence. The way barriers react and the validity of a ticket are not always synchronised. I won't bore you with stories of barriers refusing valid tickets, just trust me it happens.

People can be and have been prosecuted for terminating journeys short. And it's pretty clear in the conditions of carriage, or whatever they call it these days, that it's not allowed. You got lucky, that the operator didn't want or was unable to enforce the terms that you agreed to when you bought the ticket.

Indeedy.
Hmmmm...the staff at Rhyl station specifically said that I could get on there despite my Advanced Ticket being Llandudno to Manchester. So long as I was getting on the correct train then all was ok

Seems inconsistency is the issue

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Seems inconsistency is the issue
Or, as @theclaud says, a confusocracy - an inherently complex system that no-one really understands. Although I suspect that's a consequence of other decisions rather than a deliberate choice.

Leicester to London the cheapest return you can get is £65 and that is at a time that Doesn't suit anyone, the average is closer to £100. However if you go to Rugby or Nuneaton about 15 miles away you can routinely get returns to the smoke for £13. That's the difference between a monopoly and competition.
Thanks for this.
Had forgotten that london midland existed. May be handy for future trips. Off to check cycle policy.

TVC

Thanks for this.
Had forgotten that london midland existed. May be handy for future trips. Off to check cycle policy.
It is stupid, if you go north from Kings Cross or Euston you can get reasonable prices, if you try to go from St Pancras you get ripped off because there is only one franchise using the line.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The system is bonkers!

The trains from Manchester Victoria to Todmorden pass through Littleborough. Some stop there, some don't. I was told once that my split tickets were not valid - I had a ticket from Manchester to Littleborough and a second ticket from Littleborough to Todmorden but the train I was on did not stop at Littleborough. I should have caught the next train which DID stop at Littleborough even though I did not want to get off there and would just remain in my seat ... :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
The system is bonkers!

The trains from Manchester Victoria to Todmorden pass through Littleborough. Some stop there, some don't. I was told once that my split tickets were not valid - I had a ticket from Manchester to Littleborough and a second ticket from Littleborough to Todmorden but the train I was on did not stop at Littleborough. I should have caught the next train which DID stop at Littleborough even though I did not want to get off there and would just remain in my seat ... :wacko:
That's down to County Boundaries. Those two being the last in one and the first in another County. That's the only difference, and down to the operators ticketing system, something you can't control at the time of purchasing the ticket.

Had similar problems when travelling to Manchester.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I think there are elements of choice in the mess. If I walk up to a machine at Brighton station to get a ticket to go to London, I have to scroll down to a second page of fares before finding the Thameslink Only fare which is a fair bit cheaper than the Any Permitted equivalent.
It's a toss-up between flexibility of route and price. They've probably had (many) more complaints as a result of people being fined for using the cheaper ticket on the route than they have of people not being able to find the cheaper ticket. In most ticketing systems the default is to look for quicker journeys - the cheaper route is 33% slower than the mainline.

alicat

Legendary Member

London Midland are fine about bikes. Just rock up and look for the wheelchair sign. You will have to give priority to a wheelchair but would be very, very unlucky not to find somewhere else on the train to put the bike.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Leicester to London the cheapest return you can get is £65 and that is at a time that Doesn't suit anyone, the average is closer to £100. However if you go to Rugby or Nuneaton about 15 miles away you can routinely get returns to the smoke for £13. That's the difference between a monopoly and competition.

@13 rider @tallliman This could have potential. Ride to Nuneaton, get the train to London and ride back?

London Midland are fine about bikes. Just rock up and look for the wheelchair sign. You will have to give priority to a wheelchair but would be very, very unlucky not to find somewhere else on the train to put the bike.
Thanks alicat. Have the impression that most companies that say no booking but a max of 2 bikes per train are in practice rather easygoing. Northern is. In many ways preferable to virgin east and west coast where just booking the bike is god awful hoop jumping.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Thanks alicat. Have the impression that most companies that say no booking but a max of 2 bikes per train are in practice rather easygoing. Northern is. In many ways preferable to virgin east and west coast where just booking the bike is god awful hoop jumping.
East Midlands also fairly easy going regarding bikes, there were 5 at one point on our train yesterday and no booking required

East Midlands also fairly easy going regarding bikes, there were 5 at one point on our train yesterday and no booking required
Nice to know. Thanks. Sounds like it's best to take your luggage with them by bike, for from my last experience with them they were awful with more traditional non bike-borne luggage.

classic33

Leg End Member
Check with Northern, policy with regards bikes changed September this year. You may find yourself stuck.

It doesn't apply to all services, but you may just get the wrong information given, meaning you don't travel.

Top Bottom