Train Prices

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Check with Northern, policy with regards bikes changed September this year. You may find yourself stuck.

It doesn't apply to all services, but you may just get the wrong information given, meaning you don't travel.
Ta will double check.

Trust it won't screw my christmas arrangements.

classic33

Leg End Member
At present it's no wheeled transport at certain hours, on certain routes. The bike storage area has been given over to seating.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I wonder if anyone in this thread is familiar with the stations in the North East of the country and can help me with a conundrum -

Later in the year I shall be cycling the Coasts & Castles route, travelling from Hull to Newcastle by train, cycling Newcastle-Edinburgh over a number of days, then returning from Edinburgh to Hull by train.

Disappointingly, and somewhat ridiculously, a single from Hull to Newcastle and then a single from Edinburgh to Hull comes in at £70 more than a Hull to Edinburgh return.

I would opt for the latter, but will I then run into trouble trying to disembark 'early' at Newcastle on the outward journey? I don't know the station so am not sure what the barrier situation is or how hot they are on this kind of thing...

To complicate matters further, there is the possibility that I will opt to cycle part way back from Edinburgh to either Dunbar or Berwick-upon-Tweed and pick up the train back to Hull from there. Would getting on further up the line than at Edinburgh also be problematic - I'm guessing so given that I'd need a cycle reservation?

I'm thinking I might need to just suck it up, get 2 singles and get on at the nominated starting stations, but if anyone can suggest ways to make a cheaper return ticket work for this scenario and/or maintain the flexibility around the starting station on the way back I'd be grateful for tips, and more than happy to buy the helpful person a pint.

Cheers,
Andy

Have a look on the web at split ticketing, it can save lots of money!!

Apart from that, you can have a break of journey legally on some ticket types but not sure which.

you can have a break of journey legally on some ticket types but not sure which

Good point. I thought this didn't apply to off-peak returns, but it seems it does. So I should in theory be fine to disembark 'early' one way and/or embark 'late' the other way, so long as I get an off-peak return, if this is to be believed -

Break of journey
Break of journey is allowed on the outward portion of Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's validity code and in all cases on the return portion of Off-Peak return tickets.

You may start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel on Off-Peak tickets unless the ticket restriction for the journey you are making does not allow it. If you intend to start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station, please call 03457 48 49 50 to check if it is available on your specific journey.

Having said that, now I look here - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ - it seems that single tickets are often quite a bit cheaper than on the site I was using - https://www.thetrainline.com/

Does anyone know why that would be? Who gets that extra money on those prices, and why does Trainline (which I thought was the NRE site until just now - it has their logo on it) claim to help you find the cheapest tickets for your journey if they are sometimes priced higher than on NRE? And also why NRE only lets you book in advance up to April but Trainline allows you to book up to July?

According to NRE a single from Hull to Newcastle is more than tenner dearer than a single from Hull to Edinburgh, when using the exact same train, from the same platform at the same time, but just staying on for a lot fewer stops?! How can that be right? Confused!

Good point. I thought this didn't apply to off-peak returns, but it seems it does. So I should in theory be fine to disembark 'early' one way and/or embark 'late' the other way, so long as I get an off-peak return, if this is to be believed -

Break of journey
Break of journey is allowed on the outward portion of Off-Peak tickets unless otherwise indicated by a restriction shown against the ticket's validity code and in all cases on the return portion of Off-Peak return tickets.

You may start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station along the route of travel on Off-Peak tickets unless the ticket restriction for the journey you are making does not allow it. If you intend to start, break and resume, or end your journey at any intermediate station, please call 03457 48 49 50 to check if it is available on your specific journey.

Having said that, now I look here - http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ - it seems that single tickets are often quite a bit cheaper than on the site I was using - https://www.thetrainline.com/

Does anyone know why that would be? Who gets that extra money on those prices, and why does Trainline (which I thought was the NRE site until just now - it has their logo on it) claim to help you find the cheapest tickets for your journey if they are sometimes priced higher than on NRE? And also why NRE only lets you book in advance up to April but Trainline allows you to book up to July?

According to NRE a single from Hull to Newcastle is more than tenner dearer than a single from Hull to Edinburgh, when using the exact same train, from the same platform at the same time, but just staying on for a lot fewer stops?! How can that be right? Confused!

The whole privatised rail system of train fares etc is absolutely farcical. I made the decision 12 months ago to do without having a car and travel everywhere by bike, train or foot or a combination of all three. I was fortunate in that I retired early in March 2017, I could get a Senior Railcard with 1/3 discount of fares (as I'm over 60) and I live 300 metres from a railway station on a direct line between Manchester and Leeds. But it's taken me nearly 12 months to get used to all the inconsistencies and quirks. For example, Sundays are the day Network Rail do lots of track maintenance. I can see the sense in that due to it being the 'quietest' day of the week for volume of customers. But several times i have taken my bike on a train only to find that sections of my paid for route have a replacement bus service - that does not accommodate bikes. It's often very poorly communicated in advance. So I have learnt to do my pre ticket purchase research carefully to avoid being stranded!
Using websites like Easyrail to service journeys via 'split tickets' can produce huge savings in ticket costs but it is a real rigmarole having to often take a colossal volume of individual tickets with you to produce for each part of the journey. Also if booking via split tickets and there are several different rail franchises covering different parts of the trip you have to separately book a space for your bike on the train where this is required.

Overall though, I do enjoy travelling by train despite the convoluted arrangements and absurd inconsistencies.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've just had this, looking at ticket prices, my journey was going to be town > city then city > city then city > town one way ticket £56.10 traveling off peak to go collect a car. The first city is where I work so I thought I'd travel in the car to work, leave the car there & only do city > city then city to town using the same train to do the journeys as before it came out at £22.60 so the first town > city leg they were charging me £33.60 for. Looking at the cost of the initial town > city it's £5.10 so by buying separate tickets I can get the cost down from £56.10 to £27.70 or less than half.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Disappointingly, . . . , a single from Hull to Newcastle and then a single from Edinburgh to Hull comes in at £70 more than a Hull to Edinburgh return.
If you wait till (I think) 12 weeks before your intended travel dates, you should be able to buy tickets at a much lower price, as the SuperApex are put on sale at that period ahead.

If you wait till (I think) 12 weeks before your intended travel dates, you should be able to buy tickets at a much lower price, as the SuperApex are put on sale at that period ahead.
Thanks for the tip. I'd never heard of SuperApex tickets. Are they for single and return? In my experience the longer you wait the more the tickets identified as cheapest on the NRE website are likely to creep up in price.

Tim Hall

Thanks for the tip. I'd never heard of SuperApex tickets. Are they for single and return? In my experience the longer you wait the more the tickets identified as cheapest on the NRE website are likely to creep up in price.
They're not called Super Apex anymore but Advanced. These are released 12 weeks before train departure date and I suspect you're already encountering them. You'll be tied to a particular time train which might be an issue, especially on the return leg.

They're not called Super Apex anymore but Advanced. These are released 12 weeks before train departure date and I suspect you're already encountering them. You'll be tied to a particular time train which might be an issue, especially on the return leg.

Ah, ok. In that case they are what I'm looking at already, and just extrapolating prices from April trains at certain times and assuming trains at exactly the same time in July (which aren't available to book yet) will be similarly priced. Which going on the info so far about all the vagaries of pricing is probably a mistake in itself!

Top Bottom