Training - ebike and a non ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

If it's on closed roads & goes places that you cannot normally go

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Why would you want to do a sportive on a Ebike? Surely the idea of a sportive is to test yourself. I have nothing against Ebikes at all, But cannot get my head round this one.
The only sportive I've ever done was for fun.
It was a 50 mile sportive, lots of my friends attended, it was fun.
To challenge myself, a few years later I did the same sportive, then rode back home another 50 miles.
That was less fun at the end of it!

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The only sportive I've ever done was for fun.
It was a 50 mile sportive, lots of my friends attended, it was fun.
To challenge myself, a few years later I did the same sportive, then rode back home another 50 miles.
That was less fun at the end of it!
But you did it unaded.You tested yourself.Good for you.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Why would you want to do a sportive on a Ebike? Surely the idea of a sportive is to test yourself. I have nothing against Ebikes at all, But cannot get my head round this one.

Because the OP likes riding his/her ebike, and a sportive is an event where people like to ride their bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A sportive is testing yourself, not your battery,:wacko:
Actually, it could be both, and as British Cycling explains "Some ride for health reasons, some for the social side, some to challenge themselves or train for another event, and some to raise money for charity."

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
But what are you testing yourself at?? Its not a race, theres no prizes..just enjoyment.

Why cant someone enjoy it on an ebike just as much
You can enjoy it on an ebike, you can enjoy challenging yourself on an ebike. The challenge might be in cycling further than you have ever cycled before, or riding the distance quicker than before - this is testing yourself isn't it? You can challenge yourself to get more miles from the battery by using less assistance, or riding over the cut-off speed. I don't ride sportives myself, but get some of the same satisfaction from Audax rides - and ebikes are allowed.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A sportive is testing yourself, not your battery,:wacko:

You are being purposefully (I hope) obtuse.

Sure, sportives attract some weekend warriors on their carbon dream machines who sup gels and talk about 'burning matches' and all that cobblers.

But I suspect they are in the minority, the majority of participants are there to enjoy the ride, company, and experience.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
An ebike race would be a test of your ability and your battery.

I believe there has been a couple of organised ebike races, but the idea has not caught on.

I'm sure I read somewhere there are also ebike classes in some mountain biking events.

Not sure how that works.

sight-pin

Veteran

I thought "sportive" meant, to have fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Cyclosportives — commonly referred to as sportives — and gran fondos have become a firm fixture on the the worldwide cycling calendar in recent years, offering both seasoned racers and newcomers to the sport a challenge that can be as gruelling or straightforward as they wish.

Top Bottom