Training - ebike and a non ebike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Mod Note, please heed it!
The bickering in this thread is not helpful to the OP - sorry about this turn of events @jann71.
The OP is not asking about the morals (if indeed they are any) on using an Ebike in a sportive, they are asking:
Does anyone here ride an ebike and a road bike?
Do you feel any benefit on road bike after doing miles on ebike?
Please stick to answering the OP, derailments will result in thread bans.
Thank you.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Is yours a drop bar Orbea or a Ribble, they're the two I'm interested in
No.....I have a cube acid pro one, flat bar emtb with carbon forks (not suspension) 47mm conti tour tyres, hydraulic brakes and Shimano di2 groupset

20190227_073854.jpg

keithmac

Guru
It's very odd, 9 times out of 10 when an ebike is involved theres always either "racing" or "cheating" mentioned.

People don't ride ebikes to race "normal" bikes, I often get passed on my Gtech plodder on the way home and think nothing of it.

I was faster on my "normal" mountain bike overall but after a day on my feet at work the ebike is a far nicer proposition to get home on..

People use them to go further, help with joint issues as well. A person with bad knees or hips is not cheating, you should be glad they are still making the effort to cycle.

I could have bought a motorbike or worse still drive the car every day but plumped for an ebike.

Legally they assist up to 15mph so any "roadie" in good shape should see one off no problems..

OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
The answer is yes riding an ebike stills helps.

Completed 66 miles Etape Loch Ness yesterday on a "normal" bike having pretty much only trained on my ebike.
Furthest I had been in training was 30 miles, once on flat bar road bike.
Struggled up the hills but I've always struggled on hills which is why I bought the ebike ^_^

Tenkaykev

Guru
Mod Note, please heed it!
The bickering in this thread is not helpful to the OP - sorry about this turn of events @jann71.
The OP is not asking about the morals (if indeed they are any) on using an Ebike in a sportive, they are asking:

Please stick to answering the OP, derailments will result in thread bans.
Thank you.

I can't be the only person who comes late to a thread and enjoys it when it veers off course and sometimes gets a bit heated.
I read through from the beginning with a mental " hear, hear" or "boo hiss" according to the opinion being put forward.
Perhaps we could have a " Best Of " compilation, I'd certainly subscribe

NickWi

Guru
Thank you for your email. We are looking at the possibility of allowing e-bikes at future events, but unfortunately, they are not allowed in the 2019 event.

When I was looking at the Velo North in Durham a while back, I also saw they had a no e-bike clause (along with no trikes or recumbants), so I emailed the organisers to complain. I used the arguement that:-

1. Their policy was discriminatory against both older and less able bodied riders who aren’t as young or as fit as we once were, but still who like to get out riding and would relish the chance of riding this type of event.
2. They were supposidly working with a Council who have an active program of events that cover sports for all and thus they were discouraging that.
3. That their T&C consituted disabled discriminatation.

The latter was probably pushing it a bit, but it worked. I got a polite note back to say they were looking into it, then another one a few days later saying they'd change their T&Cs to allow e-bikes. They didn't budge on the recumbants or trikes though which was a little disapointing, but on a mass start event is understandable (but also easily rectified).

I know Etape Lock Ness and Velo North are run by different organisations, but it shows what can be done with a polite question, making a good arguement and a bit of cheek.

Slick

Guru
When I was looking at the Velo North in Durham a while back, I also saw they had a no e-bike clause (along with no trikes or recumbants), so I emailed the organisers to complain. I used the arguement that:-

1. Their policy was discriminatory against both older and less able bodied riders who aren’t as young or as fit as we once were, but still who like to get out riding and would relish the chance of riding this type of event.
2. They were supposidly working with a Council who have an active program of events that cover sports for all and thus they were discouraging that.

The latter was probably pushing it a bit, but it worked. I got a polite note back to say they were looking into it, then another one a few days later saying they'd change their T&Cs to allow e-bikes. They didn't budge on the recumbants or trikes though which was a little disapointing, but on a mass start event is understandable (but also easily rectified).

I know Etape Lock Ness and Velo North are run by different organisations, but it shows what can be done with a polite question, making a good arguement and a bit of cheek.
Nice, well done. :thumbsup:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member

You certainly pushed the right buttons with Durham County Council who like to think of themselves as being very inclusive.

There may an element of truth in that, although the members are still mostly retired pitmen, some of whose attitudes might be a little, er, old-fashioned.

OP
OP
jann71

jann71

Veteran
Yay, they've updated the policy for 2020.

Thanks for your email. Yes, for the first time in 2020 E bikes will be able to enter the Etape, provided that it is a UK road legal bike with maximum electro speed of 15.5 MPH and rated power output of 250 watts or less.

Smudge

Veteran
I've entered a sportive to ride with one of my friends, unfortunately ebikes are not allowed.

Which is a shame as I'd be doing 66 miles with a smile on my face all the way round.

Since buying my ebike early last year it's the only bike I've ridden. Still have others.

I'm currently riding to work and back (10 miles round trip X 4 or 5 days a week) + 30 mile ride at weekend, all on my ebike.

Does anyone here ride an ebike and a road bike?
Do you feel any benefit on road bike after doing miles on ebike?

I ride an ebike and 3 unassisted bikes, one of them being a road bike. The only benefit i feel about the road bike is how super light it feels after using my ebike. But there's no way in a million years could do a 66 mile sportive, couldn't even do a third of that mileage on an unassisted road bike. If i could, i would consider that wouldn't need an ebike at all.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Yay, they've updated the policy for 2020.

Thanks for your email. Yes, for the first time in 2020 E bikes will be able to enter the Etape, provided that it is a UK road legal bike with maximum electro speed of 15.5 MPH and rated power output of 250 watts or less.
That just makes a joke of it.:wacko:

Scaleyback

Veteran
I been looking at the Ribble and have been quoted 60 miles at best which is putting me off

How on earth can anyone quote you "60 miles at best" is beyond me.
The battery performance (mileage) on these bikes is so dependant on many factors e.g rider ability/terrain/wind/tyres.
I have had way over a 100 miles on one charge from my Orbea, but this was on a flatish route in favourable conditions.
The Ribble is the same ebikemotion drive system, I see no reason the battery performance would differ much from the Gain.

Top Bottom