Training with a Cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Have broken a golden rule this week and boy did I pay for it yesterday.

Picked up a cold from the boys,sore throat etc. So thought I,d just cut the winter programme back a bit as I didnt want to disrupt it too much. Anyway culminated in 50 miler round hills of brechfa yesterday in awful weather normally tkes about 2 1/2 hours.

Only took water as usual 2/3 of the way through that was it I was gone completely the ride took 4hrs shattered last night.

Ive done it time and time again and still havnt learnt take my advice dont do it.

I have just gone out for a ride the first time in two weeks having had a heavy cold, which has really affected my asthma. I no longer have any symptoms, but took it really easy, and only went out for an hour.

I felt as weak as a kitten and my chest really burned if I increased the work rate.

Hate it.

yello

I'm a complete blouse and don't mind who knows it; if I'm feeling even slightly off colour then I don't go out on my bike. I just don't think it's worth risking making matters worse.... but then I will admit that I do have the luxury of choice and don't have a job to go to.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
it's not just me then... 2 weeks of it, legs like jelly, head feeling like somebody has inflated a balloon in it, generally lathargic, varying tempratures & terrible hypochondia...

tried to go out (commute) last week, felt so unwell went in car.

Did a little 6 mile jaunt on monday -legs still like jelly

Hoping for the first time to commute tomorrow, but wont rush it :angry:

MajorMantra

I find a slight cough or runny nose is manageable but a sore throat is an absolute no-no for riding. When I was ill a couple of weeks ago the 1 mile to uni set my throat on fire and just about finished me.

Matthew

SBH

A friend of mine used to be a nurse and a cyclist (yes I know, GREAT combination!). She's now just a cyclist but still every bit as... anyway, on with the story. Her advice (which she said came from a doctor/cyclist) has always been that you can train on most things but, for some reason, a sore throat should be seen as a sign to rest the physical activity for a day or so to save putting yourself out for longer.

Definitely consistent with MajorMantra's experience.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can ride through a cold, but keep it easy, i.e. not too many miles. It's flu - i.e. temps and muscle aches that you should back off..... which I knew that as a youngster...40 mile rides with flu...idiot......

I actually went rather quick up a drag yesterday - head cold though..... bit dizzy in the mornings, so slow down a bit as I wobble down the road :biggrin:;):wahhey:;):wahhey::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Ugh!

I can't think of anything less appealing than riding with a heavy cold!

For me, it's a day or two in front of the TV in my bunny pyjamas and plenty of hot cocoa.

I get over the icky bit of the cold very fast like that, and then I can enjoy my next ride rather than pushing myself through it with gritted teeth.

SilverSurfer

Is this really a hobby or self-mutilation?

Rest for heaven's sake. You've earnt it through the rest of the year if nothing else.

Top Bottom