Trains and bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Encouraged by having cycled from Macclesfield to Llandundo recently, I now plan to cycle to Holyhead. I will cycle with a mate and we will do it in relaxed style over a weekend. We will come back by train as it's amazingly cheap at £16 each. But being a worrier I am concerned about replacement bus services. If I book with Arriva Wales directly and make bike reservations does his pretty much guarantee there being an actual train to travel on? Turning up at Holyhead station to get an apology and (perhaps) a refund, would not be very funny.

Incidentally:

Holyhead - Manchester £16
Holyhead - Macclesfield £51.50

Last edited:

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Get a via any route ticket. And GI long way home if buses in operation on your direct train

Matthames

Über Member
Engineering works are planned up months in advance, so you should be able to find out if there are any on the route you are using; however this won't tell you if there is a bus service running due to an unforeseen circumstance.

The Machnylleth route I do believe at the moment is still being repaired after the storms in December.

KneesUp

Guru
I went from Manchester Picadilly to Porthmadog via Machnylleth once. I was a young man when I left, and I was 47 when I arrived.

You'd be better off cycling home than going that route!

Top Bottom