Trams - scary!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I have driven up and down the A41 lots of times, even cycled it on a few Sundays on the way back from a ride so Im not phased by the tracks, even though they need to be hopped over to change lanes. What I had never done until a few days ago was to by cycling down it with a tram passing.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.58...=QqZjiBcf07D1_xPlX6e5qw&cbp=12,325.75,,0,8.65

As you can see, the yellow dots represent the outside edge of the tram also giving a good safety margin. However, when the noisy thing comes rattling, squeaking and screeching passed it does push you well into the curb and theres something about it not being able to steer that really makes it even more scary.

I think that if this were my commute route I would be on the pavement for that section. I really don't think cyclists were considered when that was developed.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Pavement looks plenty wide enough to be shared use so go for it... the council will catch up and designate it eventually.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Depends on teh distance but could you not stick to your guns and make them wait behind you?

On the downhill section its easy to keep 25 to 30, but I was going uphill at 15mph. It was suprising how close it seemed and the sudden noise of the damned thing. Im no stranger to cycling in traffic but this thing gave me the heebee - geebees!

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I have driven up and down the A41 lots of times, even cycled it on a few Sundays on the way back from a ride so Im not phased by the tracks, even though they need to be hopped over to change lanes. What I had never done until a few days ago was to by cycling down it with a tram passing.

https://maps.google.co.uk/?ll=52.58...=QqZjiBcf07D1_xPlX6e5qw&cbp=12,325.75,,0,8.65

As you can see, the yellow dots represent the outside edge of the tram also giving a good safety margin. However, when the noisy thing comes rattling, squeaking and screeching passed it does push you well into the curb and theres something about it not being able to steer that really makes it even more scary.

I think that if this were my commute route I would be on the pavement for that section. I really don't think cyclists were considered when that was developed.
I do quite a lot of driving in Europe, and I really don't worry about finding my way, driving on the right, giving priority to the right or any of that. But trams... F**k me they are scary things. Making your way through towns suddenly changes into a whole new game like chess going 3D. I can only imagine how alarming it must be to have to keep your wits about you looking out for trams as well as keeping your tyres out of the tracks.

Top Bottom