Wales : Dyfed Trans Cambrian Route Sat 20th October.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
p.s. That landlady was a sourfaced, hatchet faced old bag despite thawing momentarily now and again; and as foe her spotty oik of a son....
Considering we must have trebled their takings for Friday and Saturday night, you'd think the old cow could have made abit more of an effort.

I dunno, I think she was quite restrained considering someone set the fire alarm off while searching for the light switch :whistle:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
What an epic ride !!!

After a wild party which finished at about 5am, I was in half a mind to opt out of the ride; I had no time for breakfast, but managed to swig a bottle of energy drink on my drive down to Llandrindod Wells.

I arrived at the start in reasonable time . . . I realised that I was the only one who didn’t look like a cyclist, ‘cos I wasn’t wearing any lycra . . . and no gloves – I never wear gloves, but who needs gloves in October ?

Aware that I’d done very little by way of preparation, I made the (unusually) wise decision to go easy on all the climbs, ‘cos I was well aware that the distance itself would be the hard part. Even early on, quite a few of the guys were ‘attacking’ the climbs with great gusto and I soon realised that I had to pace myself very carefully.

We stopped at a great cafe in Llanidloes, where I had a cup of tea and the largest piece of flapjack that I’ve ever had – it was like a brick ! As we stood outside the cafe, I surveyed the group – what a motley & dubious-looking bunch of weirdo’s, oddballs and misfits :whistle: . . . . . . . curiously enough, I felt right at home ^_^ .

After Machynlleth, the most difficult parts of the ride were the flat sections; there were times when I was doing 20-22mph and not only was I ‘dropped’, but the other riders were quickly out of sight.

I soon realised that I was the least-able cyclist and I was very anxious not to ‘hold up’ or delay the other guys in any way. I didn’t want to be a ‘burden’, because I knew that most of the other guys wanted to finish in good time . . . . . . . to go to the pub :cheers:
Because of this realisation, I guess that I put pressure on myself and I was keen to ‘press on’ at every opportunity and forego the ‘rests’. Later on in the ride, when the other fellas stopped, I just carried on, secure in the knowledge that they would catch me . . . and they did . . . and then they would quickly vanish again into the night . . . fit b*stards ^_^.

At about 90-95 miles, I suddenly felt a lot stronger (must have been the Guinness ^_^) and I managed to finish the ride feeling pretty good. I cycled very cautiously from Rhayader to Llandrindod Wells though, ‘cos the road was ‘pitch black’ & my torch was sh*te. With 4 miles to go, CCelt, his brother & I, said our goodbyes to those staying in Newbridge. To my surprise, for the first time on the ride, CCelt was cycling behind me, rather than ‘zooming’ past – I did wonder if he’d ‘hit the wall’, ‘cos he’d also gone very quiet :whistle: .

12 hours after starting, I arrived back at my car, having done just over 111 miles . . . which was almost exactly the same distance that I did, driving to and from the start.

I was chuffed to meet Banjo :thumbsup: again (star man) and to meet such CC legends as Rich P & Noodley – great guys both . . . as were the entire bunch !!!

I had a great time ! What I did learn, is that LD is simply not to be trusted :whistle:; in matters relating to distance, climb & time – by rule of thumb, add about 15% !

By a considerable margin, this is the hardest CC ride that I've ever done. Would I do it again ? Almost certainly not, but only because of my own lack of preparation.

When the idea of this ride was first mooted, back in August, I ‘signed on’ entirely through the enthusiasm to ‘see the guys’ and have a laugh – in my mind, I probably focused too much on the pub stops ^_^ . Back in August, I half-heartedly imagined that I’d do a bit of training, but somehow, the weeks went by and I did very little.

Considering the guys with whom I was cycling, I was certainly of a (considerably) lesser ability; going up one hill, I remember asking ‘Ducky’ how much cycling he was doing; “About 250 miles a week” was his reply – that’s about what I do in 6 months ! LD told me, that he sometimes cycles to work . . . . . . . 42 miles . . .each way !!! Furthermore, he cycled overnight, from Manchester to Brighton – allegedly, without a map. The cycling machine that is Rich P, thinks nothing of cycling across entire countries; hardly surprising then, that I felt rather ‘out of my depth’ at times.

What I’ve learned from this, is that doing 111 miles (the most that I’ve ever cycled), should ideally be done with more than just a massive dose of enthusiasm. It is all very well, reading a thread about a future ride and looking forward to having a drink in a pub/cafe with a bunch of nobbers – there is also the little matter of the cycling between the stops. Some training (a lot more) would have helped.

I hugely admire the other riders, who have obviously dedicated a great deal of time & commitment to their cycling . . . all aspects that were/are entirely lacking on my part ^_^.

‘Well done’ LD, for organising a great ride ! As far as I know, there were no mechanical gremlins – not even a single puncture . . .and the weather was perfect !

I’ll post my picks, later in the evening.

Oh yes, those of you who made such (positive) comments about my cycling shorts are welcome to contact me and I’ll pass on the address of my tailor.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I'm sorry not to have shared a pint with Pubby, CC & Bro at the end of the day but me and Noods did at least get to shout out to them as they passed us in the dark screaming down the hill we were struggling back up.

Where was that ?

Where was that ?
You'd come up from Newbridge and were descending down the A road to Llandrinodd and me and Noods were coming up on the other side. We didn't get more than a grunt in return, so we should have guessed three knackered riders hadn't really seen us, despite calling out your names :biggrin:

You'd be good for another 20 miles if you didn't have the wind resistance from those shorts

pubrunner

Legendary Member
You'd come up from Newbridge and were descending down the A road to Llandrinodd and me and Noods were coming up on the other side. We didn't get more than a grunt in return, so we should have guessed three knackered riders hadn't really seen us, despite calling out your names :biggrin:

I did see two cyclists . . . though I obviously didn't realise it was you guys. Did you cycle all the way back ?

I did see two cyclists . . . though I obviously didn't realise it was you guys. Did you cycle all the way back ?
No, only from Llandrinodd. We spent the day listening to train station announcements and waiting for them to shackle the pony to the train back to Swansea. We did manage to add a few extra miles to the journey from Llandrinodd though :whistle:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
You'd be good for another 20 miles if you didn't have the wind resistance from those shorts

Oy, stop 'dissing' my shorts; I'm a fashion leader, not a follower :thumbsup:.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
p.s. That landlady was a sourfaced, hatchet faced old bag despite thawing momentarily now and again; and as for her spotty oik of a son....
Considering we must have trebled their takings for Friday and Saturday night, you'd think the old cow could have made a bit more of an effort.

Don't sugar-coat it Rich, tell it like it is ^_^.

Cheshire Celt

Legend
Good yes I remember seeing to guys as well Pmsl I just gave a grunt lol sorry guys didn't know it was you .

I'd like to thank Pubbers for putting me forward for this ride on his 55 mile ride I couldn't get up the hills. So I owe him for giving me some training .

I too was quite good at the end I hit the wall at 52 miles in if I had known that we would not stop until the end I might have panicked . Would I do it again . Yip I would . Maybe be nice to finish in the daylight .I to learned my light was crap and will be investing in some thing brighter than a light match .

To be honest I am still buzzing about getting to the end just need to practice my flat rd speed now lol

I think Rich should put an offer in on this, otherwise it's a missed oportunity to go on the pull in South Wales

2012-10-21%252009.52.29.jpg

Top Bottom