Trans-Pennine Trail - Questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
VARied route!....

Longnedale_Trail.jpg

I didn't want to contradict anyone, as it's been a couple of years and my memory but yeah there is a few bits like your more extreme photos. My impression tho, was for the most of the time the surface quality is similar to the photo above.

potsy

Rambler
Like Skud says, our end of the trail is very good (in parts) but it doesn't take too many days of heavy rain to leave it looking like some of the photos above.
Used it last week to commute the homeward leg and the bike needed cleaning each day :cry:
All the pics below were taken during a period of dry weather but I'll try to get some of it as it is now this week.
Gee gee\'s.jpg
resized 2.JPG
resized 4.JPG
View attachment 5501
tpt2.JPG
tpt1.JPG

How much of it is actually ridable on a road bike though - would it be worth at least slicking up my old hybrid frame and using that.

Went back and did some memory dredging :smile:. We rode from &searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf]Hadfield to &searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf]Dunford Bridge.

First bit - along the TPT, with a wee detour to camp at Crowden, back to the TPT, and rode to the opening for the Woodhead Tunnel. Not a route for a roadie - well, not one for me on a roadie, no thank you!

Then - there was the climb from Woodhead and over the top. A couple of miles I wouldn't dream of trying to cycle; the good lord made a few hills just for walking up ;) And the longer bits that we did cycle? Again, no way I'd want to try riding a roadie - no way, definitely not, never. Not ever. Not till ............. well, you get the idea ;) Hybrid? No bother.

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
Went back and did some memory dredging :smile:. We rode from &searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf]Hadfield to &searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf]Dunford Bridge.

First bit - along the TPT, with a wee detour to camp at Crowden, back to the TPT, and rode to the opening for the Woodhead Tunnel. Not a route for a roadie - well, not one for me on a roadie, no thank you!

Then - there was the climb from Woodhead and over the top. A couple of miles I wouldn't dream of trying to cycle; the good lord made a few hills just for walking up ;) And the longer bits that we did cycle? Again, no way I'd want to try riding a roadie - no way, definitely not, never. Not ever. Not till ............. well, you get the idea ;) Hybrid? No bother.

I take it it's a bad idea then :P

I'll look at building my old hybrid frame back up then. Don't want to wreck my "good" bike!

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I use the TPT a lot since it passes 500m from where I live in South Manchester.
I've been west on it as far as Southport (and Liverpool on a different trip) and as far east as Penistone. As an aside, you might want to learn the correct pronounciation of Penistone.

Here are a few random observations:-
If the weather has been wet then it's likely that significant parts of the trail will either be muddy or covered in puddles. This is particularly true of the section around Lymm (I went along there on Sunday. See here for a brief report:- http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10.10935).
Some of the route is very rough; around Warrington, along parts of the Mersey in S. Manchester and the part mentioned earlier up from Woodhead.
For the climb from the Woodhead tunnels, I would actually take the road even though it's quite busy. The track across the top is a nightmare; you would need to be a very competent MTB rider to be able to ride the ramps/steps up from the road. If you're travelling east->west, then the road is good fun; a fast smooth downhill and you can get up to the speed of the trucks so there are very few overtakes by them. Just don't miss the turn............
Signposting around Warrington and in the Broadbottom triangle is rubbish.
Some of the inner-city sections can be covered in glass.
Friends of mine had stones thrown at them as they went around Speke.
The Child of Hale in Hale does good pub food and has reasonable beer. They don't mind if you fix punctures inside (I asked first).
A bit further along, the pub at Fiddler's Ferry also has good beer (better than the Child on my visits) but the food choice is limited (pies and crisps when I've been there).
About a mile off the trail, the Pickering Arms in Thelwall does good food and beer. Pricey though. They have an open fire and they turned the radiators back on for us when we visited; we were trying to dry our clothes.
There is a bridge to cross near Widnes and then a wooden staircase to carry your bike up (travelling west->east). This is extremely tiring, especially if you go back to help carry other bikes.
When I did a weekend ride to/from Liverpool it was very wet and muddy. My 300 mile old brake blocks were gone when I got back. Stopping was achieved by dragging my feet. Two of the others were similarly affected.

IMO, the ideal bike for the TPT has full mudguards, treaded tyres, hub gears and disc brakes. Narrow (drop ?) bars and a rack pack make it easier to get through the (many) bike gates.

Even if it had been dry for weeks, I wouldn't take a skinny tyred road bike unless it had a very supple frame; it would beat you up too much on the rough sections. YMMV.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/transpennine-trail-leeds-to-hornsea-done.89065/

My own experiences there for just Leeds>Hull, as a stopover point the hotel I used was 'The Royal Oak' in Snaith, would be good as a day 2 stop if you were doing the full thing over 3 days. The owner is cycle friendly and is worth calling ahead to book (he does camping and rooms). Someone has already linked to the maps but again this end seems better signposted (or I'm never fast enough to miss them lol)

My bike was a Subway 1 (hybrid) with a 26 X 1.6 at the front and a 26 X 1.75 at the rear, the eastern end of the trail seems a lot less muddy than than the western. It also features a lot of on road but this of the 'back of beyond single lane' type road so very quiet.

Good luck!

OP
OP
S

sabian92

Über Member
I've edited your posts, so don't worry, it's not missing chunks out :P
You might want to learn the correct pronounciation of Penistone.

Here are a few random observations:-
If the weather has been wet then it's likely that significant parts of the trail will either be muddy or covered in puddles. This is particularly true of the section around Lymm (I went along there on Sunday. See here for a brief report:- http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10.10935).
Some of the route is very rough; around Warrington, along parts of the Mersey in S. Manchester and the part mentioned earlier up from Woodhead.
For the climb from the Woodhead tunnels, I would actually take the road even though it's quite busy. The track across the top is a nightmare; you would need to be a very competent MTB rider to be able to ride the ramps/steps up from the road. If you're travelling east->west, then the road is good fun; a fast smooth downhill and you can get up to the speed of the trucks so there are very few overtakes by them. Just don't miss the turn............
A bit further along, the pub at Fiddler's Ferry also has good beer (better than the Child on my visits) but the food choice is limited (pies and crisps when I've been there).

IMO, the ideal bike for the TPT has full mudguards, treaded tyres, hub gears and disc brakes. Narrow (drop ?) bars and a rack pack make it easier to get through the (many) bike gates.

Even if it had been dry for weeks, I wouldn't take a skinny tyred road bike unless it had a very supple frame; it would beat you up too much on the rough sections. YMMV.
Is it Penie-stone? I wouldn't have said Penis-tone but I think the obligatory photo in front of the road sign is on the cards! ;)

Do you mean rough as in hard going or rough as in full of scallies? I can deal with scallies, they serve as a reason to get fitter and ride faster! I plan on doing it East West (simply because I'm only about 20 miles from Southport).
The pub at Fiddler's Ferry - is that the 8 towers? I go there often, it does reasonably decent pub food at a good price and cheap beer. My kind of pub! :biggrin:

I have a front disc on my hybrid frame (or at least the mountings for one) so that should be good - it's pads on the back but at least 1 disc is better than none.

I'll stick narrow drops on anyway - I like drops over flats and i've only got little panniers (16ltr ones) so that should be OK.

Cheers, I'll have a read through now.

http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/transpennine-trail-leeds-to-hornsea-done.89065/

My own experiences there for just Leeds>Hull, as a stopover point the hotel I used was 'The Royal Oak' in Snaith, would be good as a day 2 stop if you were doing the full thing over 3 days. The owner is cycle friendly and is worth calling ahead to book (he does camping and rooms). Someone has already linked to the maps but again this end seems better signposted (or I'm never fast enough to miss them lol)
My bike was a Subway 1 (hybrid) with a 26 X 1.6 at the front and a 26 X 1.75 at the rear, the eastern end of the trail seems a lot less muddy than than the western. It also features a lot of on road but this of the 'back of beyond single lane' type road so very quiet.

Good luck!
I'd probably do it over 3, potentially 4 depending on my pace (which is around 10mph average at the moment on a road bike, so probably work out far less on a hybrid on trails even when I'm fitter). Cycle friendly B&Bs are great - i won't be camping and as long as they've got a good bed and a shower I'm a happy camper.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Some answers in bold below:-

I've edited your posts, so don't worry, it's not missing chunks out :P

Is it Penie-stone? I wouldn't have said Penis-tone but I think the obligatory photo in front of the road sign is on the cards! ;)
Penny stone
Do you mean rough as in hard going or rough as in full of scallies? I can deal with scallies, they serve as a reason to get fitter and ride faster! The surface is quite hard and bumpy in places. There is potential for scallies around Speke (see the bit about being bricked).
The pub at Fiddler's Ferry - is that the 8 towers? I go there often, it does reasonably decent pub food at a good price and cheap beer. My kind of pub! :biggrin: It's called the "Ferry Tavern"

I have a front disc on my hybrid frame (or at least the mountings for one) so that should be good - it's pads on the back but at least 1 disc is better than none.That's good, use the front whenever possible !

I'd probably do it over 3, potentially 4 depending on my pace (which is around 10mph average at the moment on a road bike, so probably work out far less on a hybrid on trails even when I'm fitter). Looking back, my moving average Manchester-Liverpool was 11.2mph, Liverpool-Manchester was 10.3 mph. This was on my MTB carrying panniers and wearing full waterproofs all trip with a headwind on both days and constant rain on the return.

I should be able to recommend some pubs/cafes in the Manchester area if I think about it. I've probably been in most of them.

I'd probably do it over 3, potentially 4 depending on my pace (which is around 10mph average at the moment on a road bike, so probably work out far less on a hybrid on trails even when I'm fitter). Cycle friendly B&Bs are great - i won't be camping and as long as they've got a good bed and a shower I'm a happy camper.

The Royal Oak was good, I dont know if £45 was good for a single room but the owner was friendly and the full english welcomed nom nom nom!

He's used to the cycle crowd, biggest he'd had was 25+ in 1 group - he had the camp beds out for them and some of them kept him up to 0300 boozing!

Top Bottom