Transcontinental Race 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Then it would have to be 'Intercontinental Buttocks'. Bit of a bum deal for riding a bike.
Anyway - get the tickers rolling...is Christope Allagaert doing it this year? He'll be the one to chase, if so...
No, he's not doing it this year. Josh Ibbett is in it again and is 2nd by about 30km to James Hayden. The rest of the field is pretty far behind.

Thanks, Chris - and Julianna Bbbbbbbbbb grrr! Bering? Start posting some live tracker links. I'm not going to do it...last time it was easy as anyone can keep pace with Rimas on a tracker, but it needs some 'love intrest so that we can all join in again.

OK Google...http://julianabuhring.com/transcontinental-race/ :okay: She and Rimas talked turkey...and it wasn't cold.

transcon28.jpg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Juliana Buhring is in and going slowly for her. She's sur le point d'Avignon and there's an Emily Chappell way up the road. This year there appear to be 4 control points so they're not drawing random lines all over Europe like last year. It also appears that there are mandatory stretches of road - the first a ride around Geraadsbergen where they started and another up in the hilly bits near Ventoux.
Here's the tracker address - http://trackleaders.com/transconrace15

MiK1138

Veteran
chapeau @zigzag , heard about the race after the event last year sadly.This years rider 91 I have ridden the Marrakech Atlas Etape with, and .... Dot watching is addictive when you actually know someone whose taking part, and you tend to share their journey with them to a degree. Reading the blogs and seeing the pics over the course of this weekend has been amazing ! Im sorely tempted to have a crack at next years event , life time experience and so many different bus shelters to sleep in ^_^
So true about the dot watching, I bought my bike from 144 Jim Cameron, i have been glued to various screens for 3 days watching his progress

Juliana Buhring is in and going slowly for her. She's sur le point d'Avignon and there's an Emily Chappell way up the road. This year there appear to be 4 control points so they're not drawing random lines all over Europe like last year. It also appears that there are mandatory stretches of road - the first a ride around Geraadsbergen where they started and another up in the hilly bits near Ventoux.
Merci beaucoup, Chris. Last year, Juliana was in hot pursuit of Kristoff at times...after Stelvio etc and before the weird splaying of folk approaching the 'Bul. (Well, on the internet...from side to side of my screen that is - lest we forget).

zigzag

Veteran
anyone considering this (or any other big dream in your life) - do it! make a decision, start riding longer distances, join audax uk, become a super randonneur, join your local cycling club, do some speedwork - getting fit is fairly simple (and easy if there is motivation). go after your dreams, it's never too late. my dad started cycling only last year at a young age of 61 and enjoying it immensely, got himself two carbon bikes (summer and winter), rode a 100 miler already and talking about the mountains now!
be bold, be determined - the world is your oyster :okay:

anyone considering this (or any other big dream in your life) - do it! make a decision, start riding longer distances, join audax uk, become a super randonneur, join your local cycling club, do some speedwork - getting fit is fairly simple (and easy if there is motivation). go after your dreams, it's never too late. my dad started cycling only last year at a young age of 61 and enjoying it immensely, got himself two carbon bikes (summer and winter), rode a 100 miler already and talking about the mountains now!
be bold, be determined - the world is your oyster :okay:
Juliana was going great guns but has bailed due to knees. This leaves Emily Chappell (#7) and Ellie Solomides (#170) (for the women) nearly neck and neck yesterday afternoon in the Gap area, about 900km in. I haven't checked them yet this morning.

Emily of course is a legend (round the world adventurer, early FNRTTC'er, London courier and extraordinary writer and public speaker). Go Emily!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Emily is just coming up to the checkpoint at Sesterie.

I am watching Sarah Searle who is still plodding along North of Lyon. I dont know her but am sure she could do with some support. She has ridden hell of a distance already.

Josh ibbet is gaining on James Hayden at the front. Its not just about how you can ride. It looks like how you can choose a route as well.

Last edited:
Guy from our club is doing this as well;no 128-Alex Metcalfe.He's riding a Cannondale synapse disc.

He's currently on the sr104 doing 25.6kph heading east;his current average is 22.7 and he's covered 1,403kms so far.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Juliana was going great guns but has bailed due to knees. This leaves Emily Chappell (#7) and Ellie Solomides (#170) (for the women) nearly neck and neck yesterday afternoon in the Gap area, about 900km in. I haven't checked them yet this morning.

Emily of course is a legend (round the world adventurer, early FNRTTC'er, London courier and extraordinary writer and public speaker). Go Emily!
Sorry to learn this about Juliana. She was one of the stand out riders of last year's transcontinental.

Emily is just coming up to the checkpoint at Sesterie.

I am watching Sarah Searle who is still plodding along North of Lyon. I dont know her but am sure she could do with some support. She has ridden hell of a distance already.
Yes, Sarah's had problems right from the start. When I checked everybody first thing Saturday morning, she'd only ridden 45 miles in the 8 hours since the midnight start. I haven't been able to find out what's happening on social media or wherever... anybody know? Hope she's okay. Has Control 1 closed yet?
Its not just about how you can ride. It looks like how you can choose a route as well.
So true! Though this year is especially hard as the controls have been deliberately placed in challenging locations, with only one approved route into it, e.g. the toughest option up Ventoux.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have just been reading the rules of the race and the questionnaires sent out to applicants. Some applicants have problems understanding what outside help means. Having read it Outside help means help that is not avaible to all the competitors. So if a strangers offers you a meal you can accept it. But if your brother turns up and offers you a meal you cannot.

I see the checkpoint at the summit of Ventoux closed on the evening of the 28th. There are quite a few riders who didnt make it. Maybe Zigzag can tell us what the riders will do. Will they carry on and finish the course at their own pace?

Last edited:
OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
I have just been reading the rules of the race and the questionnaires sent out to applicants. Some applicants have problems understanding what outside help means. Having read it Outside help means help that is not avaible to all the competitors. So if a strangers offers you a meal you can accept it. But if your brother turns up and offers you a meal you cannot.

I see the checkpoint at the summit of Ventoux closed on the evening of the 28th. There are quite a few riders who didnt make it. Maybe Zigzag can tell us what the riders will do. Will they carry on and finish the course at their own pace?

http://reportage.transcontinentalrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/TCR2015-Race-Manual-Issue-0.pdf page 7

Top Bottom