Transcontinental Race 2022

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interesting stats too;

Frame material:
Carbon: 47%
Steel: 22%
Titanium: 20%
Aluminium: 11%

Drivetrain:
Double chainring: 74%
1X: 20%
Fixed: 4%
Triple chainring: 2%

91% of the riders are using aerobars

95% disc brakes - only 2 and a half bikes on rim brakes.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I might have to enter next year ... but would bikepackingforhipsters.com feature my bicycle - sorry "rig"?? ;-)

it will be interesting to see the bikes ridden by the Bursary riders (one is currently 2nd woman, I think).
Rebecca McWass pulled out due to illness
Hashim Hassan DNF after 1310km, on a Trek from the pics.
Amrei Kuhne's on a Cannondale CAAD10...
Amrei-TCR.jpg

Last edited:
Look at you with your fancy foreign names.
What’s wrong with Frank Proud.
Beautiful rock solid British name.

Frank's tracker will rack-up 20,000km later today.
It appears to have made a slight excursion earlier in the race:
1659351780456.png

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Frank's tracker will rack-up 20,000km later today.
It appears to have made a slight excursion earlier in the race:
View attachment 655245

That’s good going. His average speed is now in-excess of 100kph.
The only possible explanation Is that he was kidnapped by Aliens and taken to their research centre beneath the sea before being delivered back 2 hours later having been fully probed.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Those bikes are interesting. But they're as far from my experience as those of pro track riders.

It's impossible for me to conceive of the kind of bike I'd choose for such an endeavour because I'd first have to make so many changes to myself (first I'd need the physical ability, and then I'd need the desire to enter a race and to be subject to those rules) that I'd be an entirely different person. And who knows what that person would choose? You may as well ask what gearing I'd choose for the "kilo".

But interesting, nonetheless.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Ulrich has a 'slightly broken' (TCR social media's wording) rim. I imagine quite a few Teutonic expletives might be used. Michael Broadwith rode 410km on a tyre with a holed sidewall on Sunday, and another 16 hours today, because there were no bike shops open. He's pictured on the Instagram feed attempting a further repair at CP3.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Ulrich has a 'slightly broken' (TCR social media's wording) rim. I imagine quite a few Teutonic expletives might be used. Michael Broadwith rode 410km on a tyre with a holed sidewall on Sunday, and another 16 hours today, because there were no bike shops open. He's pictured on the Instagram feed attempting a further repair at CP3.

That appears to have dropped Ulrich back a bit, CS has a decent lead now. Interestingly Fiona K, after her early set back is making a bit of a charge.

It's impossible for me to conceive of the kind of bike I'd choose for such an endeavour because I'd first have to make so many changes to myself (first I'd need the physical ability, and then I'd need the desire to enter a race and to be subject to those rules) that I'd be an entirely different person. And who knows what that person would choose?
I think you might be underestimating yourself. The "bulge" riders with little time at CP2 are doing around 240km/day. That's well below 300km-in-20h audax pace. It's also below PBP pace by quite a margin. (I don't know exatly how far you've ridden under AUK regs!)

Rich Lake is on 226km/day - did he make the CP2 cut? Not sure, but anyway, he's a "typical" steady Audaxer.

Given events/form in recent days, I can't see any one except Pogacar Strasser winning this.

Top Bottom