Transcontinental Race on a Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Who would have believed it. Roger Seaton is attempting the TCR on a Brompton. I spoke to him at the start and his top goal is to get to the finish.

He competed the race last year on a df bike. But scratched. Better luck this time..

The bike he is riding is titanium with an 11 speed hub.

The last time I looked he was in the top 40.

Last edited:

rualexander

Legendary Member
Don't think it's an 11 speed hub.
He's supposed to be riding one of David Millar's company''s CHPT3 branded Brompton's, which use standard Bromton hubs, withpainted titanium forks and rear triangle.

https://chpt3.com/blogs/journal/introducing-the-transbromptonental

https://www.brompton.com/news/Posts/2017/CHPT3-Collab

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

rualexander

Legendary Member
Would it be an Alfine hub? Im not a Brompton Buff. If it is. He certainly said it was 11 speed.

Well, in the photos on the CHPT3 site I linked to above it looks like a standard Brompton hub, which for that model is either a 2 speed or 6 speed, from the photo I would say a 6 speed.
An Alfine would not fit in the Brompton rear triangle, the spacing is different, and being titanium on that model, I don't think it could be spread wider.

Screenshot_20180801-152428-01.jpeg

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
That's exactly what he told me. I have a photo on my camera. It's a chrome enclosed hub. A huge thing. Roger said the bike was heavy even with the little bit of luggage he is carrying.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Good bit of PR for Brompton.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
After 1052km Roger has had to scratch after the hub gave up the ghost. He is fine and has really enjoyed the adventure. Back to the drawing board.

chriscross1966

Über Member
He might have fitted a Kinetics triangle (polished stainless or painted black) or a Vostok one (titanium, usual titanium finishes), theyll accomodate an Alfine...

Top Bottom