transition from cycling to running. tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just started, by going to the bottom of the street & back
After a few days, looped around the next street

Round past the School, through the Church yard
And so on...............

I only started running, because I was racing Cyclo-Cross at the time, & losing time on the running sections
I had originally intended to only be able to run a mile without stopping, or being too out of breath
Now, over 8 years later......................

Suggestion
Find your local (if there is one) ParkRun, register, & use it as a way of tracking your progress, & maybe finding someone to run with, then there's the thought you'll be letting him/her down, if you don't go out that door to trot around
They are inclusive, as far as possible (granted, some courses may not be entirely push-chair/wheel-chair friendly), & have a expansive range of abilities/speeds
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

For example, my nearest - Nostell Priory - had 200 runners on Saturday
At this particular event, times varied from 18:48, through to 52:50 (course record = 16:17)

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I used the NHS couch to 5K. The slow build up helps to get your legs up to strength. I went from never having run before in January to doing half marathon distance by the start of July. Started because I had never run before and thought I really should be able to.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
Today, many showers, not a fan of cycling in heavy rain. Keen after 5 months of increasing activity and 10kg weight loss to not miss any opportunity, thought I'd give running a go since I don't mind walking in the rain nearly as much as cycling. I've not run since February either, but in my case I think it was February 1976. Strava has running, so just add an activity and away we go. You can probably guess the rest....

1.2 miles which consisted of approximately 3 x 100 yard runs (read jog, or even joggle since parts of me I wasn't aware I still had were moving in strange arcs..) and approximately 1.1 miles of panting and walking.

I was/am getting fitter on the bike, but clearly not that fit, or somehow its vastly different a pied. Can now do 15-20 miles at a reasonable pace (say 15mph) on a bike, and further if I take it a bit slower. Thought on the basis of this I might be able to run half a mile or so, just maybe.
Wrong.

On the plus side, setting PB's in strava will be easy, just walk back from the shops a bit quicker.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
Between work and family I'm limited to time to cycle. My fitness level is pretty decent but would still like to improve. A few friends (runners) have suggested that running might help. Apparently you get a better benefit in an hour of running compared to an hour of cycling. (No idea how true that is, or if that running fitness will transfer back into cycling?) but I thought I'd give it a go anyway, nothing to loose. My only concern is that last time I went for a run (2 years ago?) I had the cardiovascular fitness to run pretty fast, BUT I destroyed my ankles (different muscle groups I suppose) and was in agony for a week!

Does anyone have any tips for the transition from cycling to running? Is it just a case of take it easy and start with short runs? Will have a go tonight anyway, see what happens!

It's just not true. It's totally dependent on intensity. If you do 10 minutes of intervals on a turbo trainer (or on the road for that matter), you can give yourself a high intensity workout which would have far more effect than a 5k or even 10k run. I've moved from running to cycling, because of too much injury running. I may start running again come September, unless the injuries kick off again, but I won't stop cycling.

I'd say run if you want to run, but if it's causing injury, then get a really good gait / bio mechanical analysis, and make damned sure you have the right trainers. But if you just want to mix up your training, it's easy enough to do on a bike.

One final thing, running (or walking), will give the extra benefit in improving bone density, which cycling does not. You need weight bearing exercise to get this benefit, which will transfer back into cycling, and everyday life/ health. If you encounter ankle pain when running, you may well have an issue with lower limb stability, which if you work on, will also improve your cycling.

eta - A final thought, another way to shake up your training, and save time, is to go to spin classes - an easy and convenient way to do intervals, and should improve your cycling too, try to find a good instructor though - too many encourage stupidly high cadence (140 rpm plus), which gives no benefit, and high risk of injury.

Last edited:

toddmeister

The correct shoes make all the difference, I didn't realise just how much until I invested in a decent pair & couldnt believe the change. As above, have your gait analysed at a running shop which will determine which shoes to go for.

Enter an event to keep you motivated. Doesn't have to be half-marathon or anything like that. 10k is easily achievable without killing yourself training for it. Loads of 10k's around too.

I'm doing the GNR next month and Just entered the Kielder half-marathon which is a few weeks later, just to give me a goal or it's easy to stop getting out after the big event is over.

adamangler

Veteran
I wont answer the transition to running part of your question as i dont believe it will be more beneficial to your cycling than an hour on the bike will be.

You can do some seriously hard sick inducing workouts in 30mins to an hour on the bike.

Time trial, threshold work, sprints, hill repeats, kill yourself on a local hill, go for the hour record etc.

Top Bottom