transition from cycling to running. tips?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiriyama

Between work and family I'm limited to time to cycle. My fitness level is pretty decent but would still like to improve. A few friends (runners) have suggested that running might help. Apparently you get a better benefit in an hour of running compared to an hour of cycling. (No idea how true that is, or if that running fitness will transfer back into cycling?) but I thought I'd give it a go anyway, nothing to loose. My only concern is that last time I went for a run (2 years ago?) I had the cardiovascular fitness to run pretty fast, BUT I destroyed my ankles (different muscle groups I suppose) and was in agony for a week!

Does anyone have any tips for the transition from cycling to running? Is it just a case of take it easy and start with short runs? Will have a go tonight anyway, see what happens!

Sharky

Guru
If I'm limited for time, I just increase the intensity of my ride. I've just come back from a 7 mile ride shattered. There was a very successful TT rider back in the 70's, who was known for doing 10 minute training rides.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Between work and family I'm limited to time to cycle. My fitness level is pretty decent but would still like to improve. A few friends (runners) have suggested that running might help. Apparently you get a better benefit in an hour of running compared to an hour of cycling. (No idea how true that is, or if that running fitness will transfer back into cycling?) but I thought I'd give it a go anyway, nothing to loose. My only concern is that last time I went for a run (2 years ago?) I had the cardiovascular fitness to run pretty fast, BUT I destroyed my ankles (different muscle groups I suppose) and was in agony for a week!

Does anyone have any tips for the transition from cycling to running? Is it just a case of take it easy and start with short runs? Will have a go tonight anyway, see what happens!

There is a thread called any runners on here. They may be better at helping you, or at least pointing you in the right direction. Good luck.

I suggest using something like the couch to 5k program which uses alternate run/walk patterns over 9 weeks until you're at about 35-40 mins of running or around 5km. Then increase your 'volume' by around 10% week with 1 rest week (approx 50% of normal running) every 4 weeks. By volume I mean intensity and time so if you run 5km in 30 mins one week then either run for 33 mins the next week or 5.5km in 30 mins - but don't increase pace _and_ time at the same time...

That's a fairly conservative approach and different individuals cope with different training loads when running, but as you've found; particularly in individuals with a good level of cardiovascular fitness, its very easy to do more running than your musculoskeletal system is ready for.

Stephenite

Membå
@kiriyama Little and often is my mantra when embarking on some new activity. Run/walk is a great way to start. Look up the C25K program. You might not have to start at the beginning. Hop into the program where you think best fits you. Like walk for a minute, run for six, walk one, run six, etc. I have to consider the surface type i'm running on. My feet and joints complain if i run on tarmac or paving. Gravel tracks, and anything softer, are much more forgiving.

I'm no expert but i feel that i get a more intense workout from a half hour/40 minute run. And by varying the pace i can quickly move my HR up and down through zones 3, 4 and 5 if i so wish. Much harder on the bike to do this.

Just get out and go for a jog. Listen to your body. Don't do too much at first, even if you want to. Better to be hungry for more than to have strains and pains. And keep your head up, look around and enjoy yourself. It's great starting new. As long as you take it steady the improvements will come thick and fast.

edit: Cross-posted with @amasidlover :P

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
That's a fairly conservative approach and different individuals cope with different training loads when running, but as you've found; particularly in individuals with a good level of cardiovascular fit its very easy to do more running than your musculoskeletal system is ready for.

This.

I've not run since the end of February because of it, I'm hoping the physio will give me the all clear next week.

Get good shoes professionally fitted especially if joints not great

And this as well.

As my dodge knee will testify, it's worth getting expert advice.

DRHysted

Guru
See the physio before you start. I only went the shoes route which corrected my ankles, but not the hips & knees. This resulted in a very painful torn calf muscle.

My physiotherapist has banned the use of corrective trainers and given me a range of exercises to correct the hips, knees, & ankles. End result I did a half marathon in April coming in 502 out of 4113 in 1:38.

OP
OP
kiriyama

kiriyama

So I went for a run. Did 60 seconds running 60 walking (90 seemed excessive) my Gps went a bit wonky in the woods but i worked it out on the map and I did about 4k in 26 mins with about 100 meters of climbing. iv got a couple of wobbly muscles on the inside of my thighs that I obviously don't use on the bike that much. But my ankles are fine. Will find out tomorrow morning!

Top Bottom