Transpennine Trail / TPT - Campsites

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Thanks - my alternative's the Python Impact DD MTB which has 2.1" knobblies on. The thought of doing 210 miles on this isn't one I've considered, although I'd put different tyres on.
Tbh I have done my commute run on 23's when it was dry, just know it's much comfier on wider, I'm currently awaiting some 35mm's for the CX which should be perfect.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
If I can, I want to stick with the (quick google) Kenda Kwick Roller Sports 700*28c I have - from Barnsely onwards its IIRC very good surface either good hardpacked gravel or on road (a lot from selby onwards is on single track/country lanes)

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I can offer you very basic camping facilities near Hornsea, free. It's only a field, but there is a public car park with toilets just next door :thumbsup:

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I can offer you very basic camping facilities near Hornsea, free. It's only a field, but there is a public car park with toilets just next door :thumbsup:

Hehe cheers for the offer but I have a friend in Hull at that end, it does mean turning around and doing the extra 15 miles back but the return journey is on a slight downslope so my legs can (hopefully) make it.

You could help me by recommending a decent sea front pub? I ended up in the 'Marine' (I think its called) with a dour pint of Smiths as my reward lol

400bhp

Guru
I'm in Timperley, about 1 mile off the TPT. You are welcome to set up a tent in my garden if that's any use.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
You could help me by recommending a decent sea front pub? I ended up in the 'Marine' (I think its called) with a dour pint of Smiths as my reward lol
The Marine is the only 'sea front pub' in Hornsea ^_^ It was refurbished recently & they normally have a guest beer on which is ok?
If it is real ale you are after, I would recommend the Bluebell at Old Ellerby (check opening times though) which is just a short diversion off the TPT about 7 miles from Hornsea, or if it's food you are after, the best ones anywhere near the TPT are The Railway at New Ellerby, or Wrygarth at Hatfield (normally has a local guest beer on too). If you want to go a little further off the TPT I can make other recommendations :thumbsup:

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
I'm in Timperley, about 1 mile off the TPT. You are welcome to set up a tent in my garden if that's any use.

Cheers for the offer but having slept on it I think I am going to push for the 90 miler on Day 1, with an early enough start I imagine a steady 12-15mph average will be ok for a 8 hour session and I can factor in a few rest stops. It'll help that I break the back of the trip as well and set me up at the foot of the big climbs for day 2/

The Marine is the only 'sea front pub' in Hornsea ^_^ It was refurbished recently & they normally have a guest beer on which is ok?
If it is real ale you are after, I would recommend the Bluebell at Old Ellerby (check opening times though) which is just a short diversion off the TPT about 7 miles from Hornsea, or if it's food you are after, the best ones anywhere near the TPT are The Railway at New Ellerby, or Wrygarth at Hatfield (normally has a local guest beer on too). If you want to go a little further off the TPT I can make other recommendations :thumbsup:

Hehe I'll stick to the Marine I think as I want the 'end of the road' reward, it was last Oct/Nov I was there so think I may have been unlucky with no guest ale.

I'll keep the Bluebell for reference though, always good to know where decent pubs are!

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
.........My no go areas are the tpt after dark..........

.........Using the TPT after 'rush hour' - yep - I wouldn't. In the dark is ok at rush hour, but not when the local yoofs are out...........

Potsy/Fossy - Apoligies for cross quoting you into another thread but could I pick your brains on what you have said here?

I'll be doing the TPT in the next 2/3 months, and I think I will be cycling the areas you mean at around 1600-1800ish depending on the pace.

Could I ask where you mean exactly, and what time you wouldnt go onto it?

I will have maps/GPS with me so I cna plan a get around, but I have to travel through this to reach the woodhead pass (my first nights stop) on day 1.

Cheers!^_^

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Potsy/Fossy - Apoligies for cross quoting you into another thread but could I pick your brains on what you have said here?
Could I ask where you mean exactly, and what time you wouldnt go onto it?
Cheers!^_^

It's just that the TPT runs very close to some 'rough' areas (Brinnington) and it's an ideal hang out - but I'd say 8-9pm is when you wouldn't really be wanting to ride down there. It's very isolated and not really much passing traffic, despite being in the middle of a highly populated area. I've not come across any trouble, but yoofs will be yoofs some times. I suppost if you are riding it regular at late hours then you'll at some point encounter idiots. Potsy works shift so he is out of 'rush hour' - late evenings etc.

It's like anywhere - after a certain time the local idiots hang out - you never see them during 'working' hours. PS It's a lovely route, right by the river, you'd never really know you were near population areas at some points.

OP
OP
wiggydiggy

wiggydiggy

Guru
Cheers Foss:thumbsup:

2000 or later would only be happening if I was delayed by something mechanically as I'd want to be safely in the pub/sleeping bag by then.....depending on how knackered I am! If a mechanical problem happened that really delayed me I'd have a backup plan of B+B somewhere I guess or if really bad it'd be on the train and home:sad:

Just building a picture really as the problem areas I already know of will be cycled through at social hours or too early for the scrotes to be out.

potsy

Rambler
As Fossy said, though Brinny is my home town so he better be careful :boxing:
I do the trail daytime only, wouldn't go that way on late shift or nights :ph34r:

Top Bottom