Transporting bikes by plane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Back in the day, bags were unnecessary, you just rocked up with your bike.

We went Manchester to Queenstown, changing planes in London, Singapore, Sydney and Christchurch. I remember looking out of the terminal windows in Sydney, and my spirits were uplifted by the sight of our bikes on top of a luggage trolley on the tarmac.

Hiring bikes for actual touring as opposed to day rides is impossible, there's no market for it. And if you're my height, 6'4", even for day rides it's doubtful I'd get one I could fit.

Wow, like a pirate' treasure! What a treat to future archaeologists!
I'd recommend a good GPS to mark the spot if doing this - something I keep meaning to do when going for a wander in the woods - a couple of times I've thought I've lost the bike/had it nicked. Even when quite close to it.

dimrub

The solution is to get a Brompton.

Well I do have a Brompton, but I don't feel it's really a solution. I can't take it with me on a plane, so I still need to pack it, so even if this results in a more compact package, it does not change the basic fact. So no, for me Brompton is not a solution, but rather a whole host of additional problems (yes, I know of people who are touring on a Brompton, and even of some who've done things that are too extreme for me even on a regular bike - but no, I'd never consider doing this myself).

Top Bottom