Transporting Bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aces_up1504

Hi
Looking for options:

What is considered the best way to transport bikes for a Focus Estate 08.

Will be going second hand, Dont really want to go with the loading option on the "hatch", Just to much hassle moving and attaching all the parts.

Roof bars seems like a good idea, apart from the height issue but seems like a minefield picking the correct ones especially when buying second hand.

Tow bar seems like the best choice, but what sort of cost to attach a tow bar?

sabian92

Über Member
Seats down, front wheel off, old bed sheet to protect against oil etc, should be fine.

If you need the seats then a rear mounted carrier is best. A roof rack is all well and good although I know of one member on here who's very nice carbon bike was on the roof, and his dad drove into a multistory car park forgetting about it. The height restrictive barrier made rather a large mess of his bike, and he owed his son a new £1400 bike!

Leaway2

Lycrist
I have just been down this route. I use the above solution, except I now I want to transport more than 1 bike. I have an Seat Ibiza and because of the rear spoiler, it is difficult to source a hatch mounted version. I have however ordered 1 from micksgarage.com who claims that they are OK for Ibiza
The roof bar option was expensive for the amount of time I will use them.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

Obviously rear mounted is probably the simplest and cheapest option but borrowing one last year, they are just a bit messy and time consuming to set up, especially if your only planning to go for a family ride for a couple of hours

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you can put the rear seats down, you don't have to remove any wheels. 2 bikes will go in easily lying down with a blanket between them. Otherwise on roof bars. I use one of those 2 piece carriers that grip the fork dropouts and the rear wheel, and either put the front wheel in the car or strap it to the frame. Shocked at how much fuel consumption increases on a long journey though.

if it is the 1 bike then seat down even with the saloon we have. anything more than 1 bike and my preference is to use our towbar mounted bike rack... when we bought our last car, we didn't pick it up for a week, so got the garage to fit the towbar. (just remember when insurance asks "any modifications?" to say yes - towbar... does not cost extra just makes a difference for accident claims apparently!). I think it cost £150 all in last September (but could be wrong - we had a few other things done to the vehicle before we purchased it).

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Not in mine they wont!

Mine is a 53 reg Focus estate - maybe I am wrong in assuming the later version is as spacious. I usually carry just one bike, so only part of the rear seat needs folding down. If two bikes one is partly on top of the other - that's where the blanket comes in.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Mine is a 53 reg Focus estate - maybe I am wrong in assuming the later version is as spacious. I usually carry just one bike, so only part of the rear seat needs folding down. If two bikes one is partly on top of the other - that's where the blanket comes in.
I have a Seat Ibiza. There is no way a bike is going in with the wheels on, its a squeeze with the front wheel off.

OP
OP
A

aces_up1504

In the short term, seats down is on option but requires the front wheel to come off, as I need at least one back seat for a child.

Longer term, its a no go as we enjoy camping and need the room. So outside the car is the only option.

Those with rear handing, Once you have got used to it, how long is it taking you to get the "hanger" attached to the car?

Top Bottom